Parcel trailer?

Old November 12th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

Default Parcel trailer?

Every so often I have to haul a parcel to the post office. Smaller parcels
fit into my handlebar basket, but I have these larger ones that
occasionally need a lift. They are 24'' square and about 15'' tall. Weigh
about 80 lbs.

I'd like to find a little trailer for this. Used kiddie trailers are
frequently craigslisted around here, but I dunno how easily one could be
modified into a flat platform, whether they are hefty enough for a load
like this, or, with the tent top removed, are commodious enough for a 24''
square box within.

Has anyone here on this NG invented this wheel already, or has a bike shop
that sells Burly or similar that might be able to advise?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old November 13th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 12, 5:07*pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
Every so often I have to haul a parcel to the post office. Smaller parcels
fit into my handlebar basket, but I have these larger ones that
occasionally need a lift. They are 24'' square and about 15'' tall. Weigh
about 80 lbs.

I'd like to find a little trailer for this. Used kiddie trailers are
frequently craigslisted around here, but I dunno how easily one could be
modified into a flat platform, whether they are hefty enough for a load
like this, or, with the tent top removed, are commodious enough for a 24''
square box within.

Has anyone here on this NG invented this wheel already, or has a bike shop
that sells Burly or similar that might be able to advise?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

When ya strip away all the nylon, it's just an aloominum frame. Put
some plywood on it, secure with bent over nails or something fancier.
Maybe expanded sheet steel and pop rivets. Easy. D. down at the shop
simply reinforces his trailer's floor with several sheets of
corrugated cardboard so Red, who is a good dog, can ride to work.
Old November 13th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

landotter wrote:

D. down at the shop
simply reinforces his trailer's floor with several sheets of
corrugated cardboard so Red, who is a good dog, can ride to work.

Free associating:

http://www.last.fm/music/Matt+the+El...+Dog?autostart

Chalo
Old November 13th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
gnu / linux

wrote:
Every so often I have to haul a parcel to the post office. Smaller parcels
fit into my handlebar basket, but I have these larger ones that
occasionally need a lift. They are 24'' square and about 15'' tall. Weigh
about 80 lbs.

I'd like to find a little trailer for this. Used kiddie trailers are
frequently craigslisted around here, but I dunno how easily one could be
modified into a flat platform, whether they are hefty enough for a load
like this, or, with the tent top removed, are commodious enough for a 24''
square box within.

Has anyone here on this NG invented this wheel already, or has a bike shop
that sells Burly or similar that might be able to advise?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

Bob caus... works 4 me
Old November 13th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

gnu / linux wrote:

Mike Rocket J Squirrel

I'd like to find a little trailer for this. Used kiddie trailers are
frequently craigslisted around here, but I dunno how easily one could be
modified into a flat platform, whether they are hefty enough for a load
like this, or, with the tent top removed, are commodious enough for a 24''
square box within.

Bob caus... works 4 me

Hr u go: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=18733

Chepr thn bob.

But neither Bob nor the Nashbar equivalent can carry an 80-lb.
package, nor a 24" x 24" box.

The Burley Flatbed is what comes to mind, but I don't know whether
it's still available or what its load capacity is, nor even whether it
can fit a 24" box between side rails. But it's at least close to the
right size, and it has a 100 lb. weight rating.

Chalo
Old November 13th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 12, 7:53*pm, Chalo wrote:
landotter wrote:

D. down at the shop
simply reinforces his trailer's floor with several sheets of
corrugated cardboard so Red, who is a good dog, can ride to work.

Free associating:

http://www.last.fm/music/Matt+the+El...+Dog?autostart

Chalo

They comnists? Must be. From Republica or somthin'. ;-) Tonites the
CMAs, figgurs they'd make amokkery of it by harmonizin without boxen
and stylists.

Red is a good good dog, when I ride D. home, he barks at stop lights
and everybody stops and laughs like it's a ****in' parade. Then D. and
I run the light like distracted grown men are apt to do when there's
parade! Yayyyyyy.
Old November 13th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

I have been considering getting one of these.
They reportedly behave pretty well.
http://www.wicycle.com/cargo_large_bicycle_trailer.php

Marcus
Old November 13th 08, 10:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

Every so often I have to haul a parcel to the post office. Smaller parcels
fit into my handlebar basket, but I have these larger ones that
occasionally need a lift. They are 24'' square and about 15'' tall. Weigh
about 80 lbs.

I'd like to find a little trailer for this. Used kiddie trailers are
frequently craigslisted around here, but I dunno how easily one could be
modified into a flat platform, whether they are hefty enough for a load
like this, or, with the tent top removed, are commodious enough for a 24''
square box within.

Has anyone here on this NG invented this wheel already, or has a bike shop
that sells Burly or similar that might be able to advise?

I put these on the rear rack using a series combination
of quarter inch braided cotton cord and bungee cord. The
cotton cord is made into a loop. The doubled cotton cord
is two to three feet long. I secure the load with the
cotton cord, hauling it taut, then secure the end of the
cord with the bungee cord. No knots, easy to secure and
release. The reason I use a doubled cotton cord is so I
can use a ring hitch to make fast the cord to the rack,
and put a hook of the bungee cord into the other end
without having to put in any knots.

--
Michael Press
Old November 13th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:07:57 -0800, in rec.bicycles.tech Mike Rocket J
Squirrel wrote:

Every so often I have to haul a parcel to the post office. Smaller parcels
fit into my handlebar basket, but I have these larger ones that
occasionally need a lift. They are 24'' square and about 15'' tall. Weigh
about 80 lbs.

I'd like to find a little trailer for this. Used kiddie trailers are
frequently craigslisted around here, but I dunno how easily one could be
modified into a flat platform, whether they are hefty enough for a load
like this, or, with the tent top removed, are commodious enough for a 24''
square box within.

Has anyone here on this NG invented this wheel already, or has a bike shop
that sells Burly or similar that might be able to advise?

My favorite is BOB. http://www.bobgear.com/trailers/

This rig is dynamically stable... very much so. From a static
perspective (i.e., parking and loading), it's loses points; it tends
to want to jack-knife while you're loading it unless you bungee the
front wheel straight. Once you get it under way, it's as good as they
get, IMO.

We use ours mostly on a tandem, so it's not as great of an issue
loads.

Jones

Old November 13th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

Squirrel wrote:

Every so often I have to haul a parcel to the post office. Smaller parcels
fit into my handlebar basket, but I have these larger ones that
occasionally need a lift. They are 24'' square and about 15'' tall. Weigh
about 80 lbs.

I'd like to find a little trailer for this. Used kiddie trailers are
frequently craigslisted around here, but I dunno how easily one could be
modified into a flat platform, whether they are hefty enough for a load
like this, or, with the tent top removed, are commodious enough for a 24''
square box within.

Has anyone here on this NG invented this wheel already, or has a bike shop
that sells Burly or similar that might be able to advise?

My favorite is BOB. http://www.bobgear.com/trailers/

Seen those around, look highly functional. However, no gottum bucks for
new trailer. Must save pennies and purchase used. Kiddie trailers are
commonly available in these parts in used condition. So my question
relates to practicality of modifying a kiddie trailer to carry the load.
Sturdy enough to support 80 lbs? Enough room for 24'' square parcel
between the wheels?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

Parcel wafflycat[_2_] UK 14 October 26th 08 09:19 PM
That trailer... Tom Crispin UK 4 November 22nd 07 04:58 AM
Trailer! unifreak7 Unicycling 41 October 10th 06 04:51 AM
Trailer Trailer Trailer! wogri Unicycling 19 August 9th 06 02:46 PM