Front derailleur problem

Old August 1st 04, 08:11 PM
Neal

Default Front derailleur problem

I have not ridden in about 12 years and have decided it was a major mistake to
stop riding. I have a 78 Gios Torino Super Record with Super Record components.
I was having a hard time with the gearing on the hills and decided to put on a
Campy GS triple chainset. I did not have the Campy triple front derailleur and
I installed a new Shimano Utltegra triple front derailleur. It shifts ok but
the problem is that when I go up a steep hill and stand up, the chain starts to
rub on the derailleur. I have to trim the derailler and after I pedal about ten
more times it rubs again. This frame is not super stiff in the back but I did
not ever have this problem with the Super Record derailleur. I have tightened
the friction shifter as much as I can with no success. Is there any solution to
this?

Thanks
Neal

Old August 1st 04, 09:48 PM
dianne_1234

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 15:11:12 -0400, "Neal" wrote:

[...]

Welcome back to riding! I've been there.

Try this article by Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/autoshift.html

"The usual cause of the problem, believe it or not, is the cable guide
that the derailleur cable uses to get around the bottom bracket. As
you pedal the bike, the frame flexes from side to side. This causes
the gear cable to get tighter and looser with every other pedal
stroke.

If the bottom-bracket cable guide has too much friction, it can act as
a one-way clutch, pulling the cable down from the lever, but not
allowing it to retract on the opposite pedal stroke. In many cases,
greasing the cable guide is all that is required."

Although he's talking about rear shifting, the same problem can cause
the symptoms you describe.

Old August 2nd 04, 12:16 AM
Phil Brown

I have not ridden in about 12 years and have decided it was a major mistake
stop riding. I have a 78 Gios Torino Super Record with Super Record

components.
I was having a hard time with the gearing on the hills and decided to put
on a
Campy GS triple chainset. I did not have the Campy triple front derailleur
and
I installed a new Shimano Utltegra triple front derailleur.

Lots snipped.

Put the Super Record back on. It'll work fine, or at least mine did on my
triple yeaterday.
Phil Brown
Old August 2nd 04, 12:50 AM
Neal

"Phil Brown" wrote in message
I have not ridden in about 12 years and have decided it was a major mistake
stop riding. I have a 78 Gios Torino Super Record with Super Record

components.
I was having a hard time with the gearing on the hills and decided to put
on a
Campy GS triple chainset. I did not have the Campy triple front derailleur
and
I installed a new Shimano Utltegra triple front derailleur.

Lots snipped.

Put the Super Record back on. It'll work fine, or at least mine did on my
triple yeaterday.
Phil Brown

I tried it with the Super Record and it just would not shift from the small
chain ring. I even tried several different chains with the same result. The
Sram P-68 chain seems to shift better than the Regina. I have noticed that it
takes very little lever movement for the Ultegra to shift compared to the
Campagnolo and that may be the cause of some of the problem.

Neal

Old August 2nd 04, 02:38 AM
Trevor Jeffrey

Neal wrote in message ...

I tried it with the Super Record and it just would not shift from the small
chain ring. I even tried several different chains with the same result.

The
Sram P-68 chain seems to shift better than the Regina. I have noticed that

it
takes very little lever movement for the Ultegra to shift compared to the
Campagnolo and that may be the cause of some of the problem.

As you have reduced your chainring size, did you reposition the SR mech. to
match the new outer ring? The cage is best as low as possible to get a
good shift to any outer ring.
I reduced outer ring size a couple of years ago and had to remove braze on
so I could use a band fit mech fitted at the correct height.
TJ

Old August 2nd 04, 02:42 AM
Phil Brown

I tried it with the Super Record and it just would not shift from the small
chain ring.

The cage should just barely clear the big ring. Mine shifts perfectly as have
all my NR/SR fronts with triples for the past 30 years.
Phil Brown
Old August 2nd 04, 02:58 AM
Neal

"Phil Brown" wrote in message
I tried it with the Super Record and it just would not shift from the small
chain ring.

The cage should just barely clear the big ring. Mine shifts perfectly as have
all my NR/SR fronts with triples for the past 30 years.
Phil Brown

What size chainrings do you have? Mine are 37/41/53. The SR front derailleur
does not extend far enough down on the inner side to push the chain to the
middle ring.

Neal

Old August 2nd 04, 06:27 AM
Phil Brown

What size chainrings do you have? Mine are 37/41/53. The SR front derailleur
does not extend far enough down on the inner side to push the chain to the
middle ring.

50/42/30.
Phil Brown
Old August 2nd 04, 02:07 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

neal- I have tightened
the friction shifter as much as I can with no success. Is there any solution
this? BRBR

Little blue loctite on the shifter bolt.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302