Q: Broken Collarbone

Old August 16th 04, 11:44 PM
Allen Thompson

Default Q: Broken Collarbone

I broke my collarbone yesterday. I went to the emergency room and they took
x-rays. They tell me it's broken and possible (out of socket?). The pain has
surprisingly not been that bad. I can't go to orthopedic surgeon until
Thursday. I really don't want to have surgery. Is surgery elective. What are
things to consider about that. How long were you off the bike? Your
experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old August 17th 04, 01:04 AM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:44:25 -0400, "Allen Thompson"
wrote:

I broke my collarbone yesterday. I went to the emergency room and they took
x-rays. They tell me it's broken and possible (out of socket?). The pain has
surprisingly not been that bad. I can't go to orthopedic surgeon until
Thursday. I really don't want to have surgery. Is surgery elective. What are
things to consider about that. How long were you off the bike? Your
experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mine went like this:

Me: "Hey doc, I broke my collarbone and it hurts when I do this..."

Doc: "Well stop doing that until it doesn't hurt anymore"

My fracture wasn't displaced, and I was off the bike for around 5
weeks, but i was riding a trainer after 3 as I recall. The biggest
thing was that I could spin fine, but it hurt like hell to pull on the
bars.

Ted C

Old August 17th 04, 02:10 AM
Keith Ehley

I broke my collarbone three years ago. My orthopedic surgeon told me that
if it is asymptomatic (doesn't hurt after a couple of weeks) it is better to
leave it alone, as long as your job does not rquire a lot of lifting. He
told me that many people feel more pain after thr surgury.

Keith

news

Old August 17th 04, 10:23 AM
JayofMontreal

I broke mine last monday. It hurt like a mutha and I got a great big bruise
on my right hip to go with it (wacked my helmet hard enough to break it as
well). The first 4 days I was taking Percocet (lets hear it for narcotics)
then finally cut down to Advil for the last 4 days.

Its a fracture that is not a non-union so it just takes time to heal. They
(doctors) say about 6weeks. Yesterday I spoke to a buddy who did it, and got
on his bike too soon. He broke it a 2nd time and was in agony for a long
time. Give it time to heal (I want to get on my bike next week but I will
stay away from the two wheeled devil) and life will be a lot sweeter.

"Keith Ehley" wrote in message
et...
[...]

---

Old August 17th 04, 10:50 AM
Jim Smith

"Allen Thompson" writes:

I broke my collarbone yesterday. I went to the emergency room and they took
x-rays. They tell me it's broken and possible (out of socket?). The pain has
surprisingly not been that bad. I can't go to orthopedic surgeon until
Thursday. I really don't want to have surgery. Is surgery elective. What are
things to consider about that. How long were you off the bike? Your
experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You really have to wait and see what the orthopod has to say. There are a
bunch of different "flavors" of collar bone fractures. Most of them
do not require surgery, but it is impossible to tell over the internet which
sort you have got.

Also sounds like you are describing an acromioclavicular dislocation in
addition to the fracture (out of socket at the point of your shoulder).
There are multiple flavors of these too, with only the minority requiring
surgery.

Now, even though most of these injuries do not require surgery, there is no
way for you to know what your particular injury requires until you see the
surgeon on Thursday.