Pic of Lemond winning 1989 World's...what's up with the wheel in their faces?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 30th 04, 07:42 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Pic of Lemond winning 1989 World's...what's up with the wheel in their faces?

I've seen that photo a jillion times. It's a great one of Greg winning
in the rain. And poor Sean bursting into tears.

(I actually got to watch that one on live TV over in Europe. I was
jumping all over the place those last couple minutes of crazy
cliffhanger uber-boss-Greg action. It was the best! Any cooler recent
finishes?)

Well, I just saw a version of that photo that has a spare wheel in the
photo-frame right in front of Greg and Konyshev on the rightside of
the image. So there must have been a motor just a couple feet in front
of those guys going nuts in the rain and it wasn't even the motor with
the photog that took that pic. So there must have been at least two
bikes right in front of them. But that one on the right is RIGHT in
front of them.

Here's a link: http://www.msu.edu/~bikes/great-cycl...-screaming.gif

I don't recall ever seeing that wheel in an image of that sprint
before. Maybe other shots are just the ones that have been used more.
Or maybe the wheel gets photoshopped out of the posters?

Then I googled for more images of that sprint and couldn't find a
thing. Sheesh.

Have other World's sprints been contested with vehicles within like 3
feet of the front of the cyclists? Heck, there must've been a draft
from those suckers even, big roostertail of water, the works. Crazy.

--Jeff Potter

http://OutYourBackdoor.com
--with whole new snappy website look and tons o' new pics and
articles!