Amsterdam Sixday

Old October 27th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Default Amsterdam Sixday

Reunited Dutch duo Slippens & Stam won the Amsterdam Sixday and they
were guests on a tv show where this arty impression of the event was
shown:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/tmp/2008...pression.mp 4
(27.8MB 2min23 640x480 mpeg4 h.264 "iPod ready", Dutch commentary)

At the sixday there was a roller race interlude with Slippens, Stam,
Zabel and Bettini:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/tmp/2008...sixdaygame.mp4
(20.5MB 1min43, same format)
Old October 28th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/tmp/2008...ixdayimpressio
n.mp4
(27.8MB 2min23 640x480 mpeg4 h.264 "iPod ready", Dutch commentary)

At the sixday there was a roller race interlude with Slippens, Stam,
Zabel and Bettini:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/tmp/2008...sixdaygame.mp4
(20.5MB 1min43, same format)

Beautiful! Thanks for posting this, T-woud. How long is that track? It's
a beautiful venue. The local track is lovely, but it's a 200m affair
with volleyball courts in the middle.

Old October 28th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
At the sixday there was a roller race interlude with Slippens, Stam,
Zabel and Bettini:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/tmp/2008...sixdaygame.mp4
(20.5MB 1min43, same format)

Two points:

- Very cool, thank you for that. It eerily reminded me
of Les Triplettes De Belleville.

- Zabel sucks.

Bob Schwartz
Old October 28th 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Beautiful! Thanks for posting this, T-woud. How long is that track? It's
a beautiful venue. The local track is lovely, but it's a 200m affair
with volleyball courts in the middle.

You're welcome. The velodrome of Sloten (a suburb of Amsterdam) is also
200 m! Plan: http://www.velodrome.nl/images/velod...lattegrond.jpg
Compare with surrounding soccer fields:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.33...80772&t=h&z=18
Old October 28th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
At the sixday there was a roller race interlude with Slippens, Stam,
Zabel and Bettini:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/tmp/2008...sixdaygame.mp4
(20.5MB 1min43, same format)

Two points:

- Very cool, thank you for that. It eerily reminded me
of Les Triplettes De Belleville.

- Zabel sucks.

That tv show has the same roller race every week at the end of the show
with 4 of the guests. It's invariably speedskaters who win and have the
best times at the end of the season, with a surprising amount of
footballers mixed in. Shockingly, Theo Bos' brother, skater Jan, was
faster than him once. Which was the reason for Theo's reappearance the
next week: he was not a guest then but was only there to improve his
time (which he did). Road cyclists never do well. Even endurance
trackies like Stam who won in this video are no match: he's 3 seconds
slower than this season's best time (by Jan Bos again).
Old October 29th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Ted van de Weteringe wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Beautiful! Thanks for posting this, T-woud. How long is that track? It's
a beautiful venue. The local track is lovely, but it's a 200m affair
with volleyball courts in the middle.

You're welcome. The velodrome of Sloten (a suburb of Amsterdam) is also
200 m! Plan: http://www.velodrome.nl/images/velod...lattegrond.jpg
Compare with surrounding soccer fields:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.33...80772&t=h&z=18

That velodrome is smaller than I thought. Do you know the banking
angles? Ours is 47 degrees in the corners; Sloten looks shallower than
that, but looks can be deceiving.

The layout looks pretty much the same as ours. I'll not soon forget what
my learn-to-ride instructor said on the first night: once you're an
expert at this velodrome, you're like a super-expert at any other
velodrome (referring especially to the big, flabby outdoor tracks like
Juan de Fuca and Marymoor).

Old October 29th 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
That velodrome is smaller than I thought. Do you know the banking
angles? Ours is 47 degrees in the corners; Sloten looks shallower than
that, but looks can be deceiving.

Same: 47. 'Het Kuipke' in Gent is 166 m long and 50.6 degrees. Brutal.
Old October 30th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Ted van de Weteringe wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
That velodrome is smaller than I thought. Do you know the banking
angles? Ours is 47 degrees in the corners; Sloten looks shallower than
that, but looks can be deceiving.

Same: 47. 'Het Kuipke' in Gent is 166 m long and 50.6 degrees. Brutal.

Makes sense, as they're built to what look like identical dimensions.
Given that our track was built in the 1990s, it may have been modeled
after Sloten.

In Ontario, there's the Forest City Velodrome:

http://www.forestcityvelodrome.ca/track_rules.php

138m! Apparently 50 degrees as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGcwWmQxX7A

Alpenrose Sixday Day 1 Mike Murray Racing 0 June 25th 08 06:30 PM
Bremen sixday Ewoud Dronkert Racing 4 January 20th 06 05:46 AM
What happened to sixday? Jenko Racing 3 December 15th 04 07:57 PM
SixDay RSS Feed Davey Crockett Racing 6 November 10th 04 06:07 AM
SixDay RSS Feed Davey Crockett Racing 0 November 9th 04 04:39 PM