Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Old May 10th 18, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On 2018-05-09 10:08, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 8:59:09 AM UTC-7, Radey Shouman

On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 5:28:05 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:

[...]

2. When you get to an intersection, traffic light or
whetever where you need to stop many of these lights
eitehr go out or they enter a "stand light" mode which is
rather dim.

Seriously, you're terrified of someone hitting you from
the _front_ when you're at a traffic light? Geez...

I know you don't understand these things but there are
drivers who come tearing around on a left turn cutting across
the "empty" left turn lane of the road on the left. To the
point where the yellow lines have worn.

Those people annoy me too. I don't see how lights help much
in that situation, though, unless you have side marker lights.
Reflective material on the side might help: Reflective tire
sidewalls or reflective striping on the fenders.

I don't get it. If you're on a bike stopped behind the limit
line, a left turning car would have to go out of its way to hit
you -- and would probably whack some island or other piece of
street furniture. I've never seen that happen. At an
uncontrolled intersection, I could see a left-turning car hit you
after you had entered the intersection. E.g.:
http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/pbcat_us/...s/pngs/212.png

This shows it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIA940no0uA

Happens all the time out here.

I'm sure Joerg has an anecdote where thousands of unlit persons
were killed by left turning cars. All the dyno using people in
NL and elsewhere are in horrible danger

Danger, sometimes yes. I've had close calls but not terribly
close. However, like many other risks that can be reduced with
lights so I use lights. Never had a close call with the MagicShine
clones. They see me much better.

Well, at least I understand what you're getting at. It's funny,
because I have an intersection just like that going into my
neighborhood. I could say that I sit there every night, but I don't
-- I typically cut-over to the sidewalk, or blow the light.
https://tinyurl.com/y86srn25

That would be a prime spot for corner cutting, especially after
"liberalizing" pot in California.

Actually the pot shop is just up the street. https://tinyurl.com/y9gnbb6n You've got to get on board! https://floydsofleadville.com/ I know lots of cyclists doing CBD and even a little THC for relaxation. THC has the opposite effect on me, so I don't partake as a general rule, but responsible use doesn't bother me at all. Irresponsible people will always be a problem, legalization or not. The worst drivers I've encountered lately were suffering from chronic assholism. They might be improved by a little pot gummy bear.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 10th 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 5:28:05 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:

1. Hardly any bike or wheel set in America has a hub dynamo. So you have
to buy new spokes and spoke it in.

Horrors!!

Or more seriously: Too bad you a) can't find a wheel for sale using this
internet thing; and b) aren't competent at wheel building.

Your usual premature conclusions. I am very particular about what
quality wheel I want. I know how to build a wheel but I don't want to
do it. Simple, really.

[...]

I guess our traffic environments are different. I routinely see left
turning drivers take a racing line through controlled intersections,
rolling over the "wrong" stop line. I have been close enough, and
annoyed enough, to smack their cars as they pass. When approaching the
stop line in a left turn lane on a red light, either riding or driving,
I do watch for careless left turners from the cross street.

I'm sure Joerg has an anecdote where thousands of unlit persons were
killed by left turning cars. All the dyno using people in NL and
elsewhere are in horrible danger -- particularly if they are not
wearing sunglasses, which it is now "unwise" to ride without.

I haven't heard of anyone being killed, or even injured, by this
behavior. It annoys me nevertheless.

Old May 10th 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Ralph Barone wrote:

Three white LEDs in series probably needs nearly 10-12 V just to overcome
the diode drop. Try just two in series and see if that helps things.

That's true, I measure 10.3-10.4 at sustainable speed. I just tried
using two in series. In terms of nuisance flicker it makes things
worse: Now there's enough voltage to turn on the LEDs at relatively
low frequency.

The core of the problem is that the hub dynamo has a much (6x) lower
operating frequency than the roller dynamo. Unless I want to use some
kind of power conditioning circuit it looks like I'm stuck with the
flicker.

For now I'm just going to put up with it. The lights are mostly used
in daytime, for conspicuity. For that purpose they're excellent. If I
end up riding seriously at night it might be worth fixing.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska

Old May 10th 18, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

: Joerg writes:
:
: On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

The car to my left at light got hit head on by a legt turning car a
few (probaby a year...) months ago. It was well back from the stop
line; cars turning left routinely clip the corner. It was in broad
daylight, 830am.

--
sig 84
Old May 10th 18, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 5:24:35 AM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:

I do agree though since most people change into cycling gear, that worrying
about putting a light on isn’t much of a hassle really.

Interesting point. I change into cycling gear only for long recreational rides.
When I jump on the bike to go to a store, etc. I'm always in normal street
clothes. For me, searching for a battery powered bike light, mounting it,
keeping it charged etc. is too much trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised to find strong correlation between always riding in
special bike garb, and preferring removable battery lights; or conversely,
usually riding in ordinary clothes and preferring always-ready dyno lights.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 18, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 2018-05-09 10:08, jbeattie wrote:

I'm sure Joerg has an anecdote where thousands of unlit persons were
killed by left turning cars. All the dyno using people in NL and
elsewhere are in horrible danger

Danger, sometimes yes. I've had close calls but not terribly close.
However, like many other risks that can be reduced with lights so I use
lights. Never had a close call with the MagicShine clones. They see me
much better.

And I've never had that close call with even a 2.4 Watt halogen light powered
by a standard dynamo. I don't need them to see me better. They see me fine,
according to my decades of riding experience.

Again, riding home after teaching a night class, I had motorists up ahead of
me wait over 20 seconds for me to pass before they either turned left or pulled
out of a side street. I _never_ had any indication a motorist did not see
my headlight.

I realize I live in an area so safe there aren't even any mountain lions. And
I never heard of a death around here caused by a lack of sunglasses. But I
still don't believe Joerg's area is the death pit he pretends.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 18, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 9 May 2018 21:40:15 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 5:24:35 AM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:

I do agree though since most people change into cycling gear, that worrying
about putting a light on isn’t much of a hassle really.

Interesting point. I change into cycling gear only for long recreational rides.
When I jump on the bike to go to a store, etc. I'm always in normal street
clothes. For me, searching for a battery powered bike light, mounting it,
keeping it charged etc. is too much trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised to find strong correlation between always riding in
special bike garb, and preferring removable battery lights; or conversely,
usually riding in ordinary clothes and preferring always-ready dyno lights.

- Frank Krygowski

I hate to be a heretic but I suspect that type of light used and how
it is powered depend largely on what people are doing with the bike.
You mention "jumping on the bike to go to the store". When we lived in
Phuket that was a 70 Km round trip. Now we've moved (about 2 hours
north of Bangkok), it is more like a half an hour, round trip.

For at least 10 years.... more now I think of it, I've never used a
bicycle light to see with. When you are a degree or two off the
equator it is pretty easy to find enough day light to ride in :-)

I had, for a while, a sidewall generator but as I always rode in the
daytime I took it off.

If I were still living in up state New Hampshire where I grew up my
lighting would likely be radically different :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 10th 18, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-05-09 10:08, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I believe from my own experiences that a flashing light does attract
attention better then a steady light, and tests by various highway
agencies seems to show the same thing. I believe I've told the story
about the guy with the bright orange knee socks who passed me on a
straight section of road and nearly a kilometer away you could still
see those orange legs going up and down, up and down :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 10th 18, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 2018-05-09 10:08, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I agree flashing lights are more conspicuous than equivalent steady lights.
I also agree the uniquely human left-right-left-right motion is very
noticeable. To carry this further, so are flipping flags on six-foot-tall
poles, as were once fashionable. (Vermont Bicycle Tours required them on every
bike on their guided tours of country roads.)

Why don't we have lots of flippy flag fanatics posting here? Only Scharf has
done that, and his flag wasn't even vertical.

I just don't think all those devices are necessary. Joerg talks with horror
about his near misses, and about hearing from friends who heard from friends
about other friends who nearly died. I ride prominently in the lane and I
have none of those horror experiences. None.

As a further benefit, I have no door zone worries, I dissuade right hooks,
I have more room to maneuver around potholes, etc.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-05-09 10:08, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Well, a 'near miss' is a good outcome:

http://ktla.com/2018/05/10/man-fatal...-in-paramount/

Probably should have had a better blinky light or a flippy
flag or whatever.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/