Oregon judge: Bike lanes don't continue through intersections

Old November 6th 18, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Oregon judge: Bike lanes don't continue through intersections

According to an Oregon judge, bike lanes don't legally exist in
intersections.

It's a bit odd, because car lanes do, even though (for practical
reasons) they are not marked. If you are driving in a lane just before
an intersection, you are expected to stay in that same unmarked lane
within the intersection and drive in the same lane past the
intersection. On a four-lane road, a motorist to your left is not
allowed to smash into you by changing lanes mid-intersection.

For a bike lane, this judge says it's different:
https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/17/...FVWPMeZZbRZuqo

This sounds like an excellent reason to leave the bike lane before an
intersection and claim the normal vehicle lane.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 6th 18, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 9:15:49 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
According to an Oregon judge, bike lanes don't legally exist in
intersections.

It's a bit odd, because car lanes do, even though (for practical
reasons) they are not marked. If you are driving in a lane just before
an intersection, you are expected to stay in that same unmarked lane
within the intersection and drive in the same lane past the
intersection. On a four-lane road, a motorist to your left is not
allowed to smash into you by changing lanes mid-intersection.

For a bike lane, this judge says it's different:
https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/17/...FVWPMeZZbRZuqo

This sounds like an excellent reason to leave the bike lane before an
intersection and claim the normal vehicle lane.

--
- Frank Krygowski

In the Waterloo Region of Ontario Canada many bicycle lanes end at an intersection. On top of that most of the bicycle lanes are in the door zone. Therefore I very seldom bother to use a bicycle lane. Heck, we even have curbside bicycle lanes the go part way onto the on ramp of a very busy highway (the Highway 401. Part way down that on-ramp you're supposed to stop and then walk across the lane. That's right where car drivers LEAST expect to see either a bicyclist or a pedestrian. I wonder who designs these things? At those on-ramp lanes I'm out of the bicycle lane and in the middle of the right hand trough-traffic lane.\

Common sense is sure not something the designers of bicycle lanes or roundabouts use here. Roundabouts too have their bicycle/pedestrian crossings just where cars are most likely to be speeding up and not expecting a person to be stepping off the curb.

Cheers
Old November 6th 18, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 6:15:49 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
According to an Oregon judge, bike lanes don't legally exist in
intersections.

It's a bit odd, because car lanes do, even though (for practical
reasons) they are not marked. If you are driving in a lane just before
an intersection, you are expected to stay in that same unmarked lane
within the intersection and drive in the same lane past the
intersection. On a four-lane road, a motorist to your left is not
allowed to smash into you by changing lanes mid-intersection.

For a bike lane, this judge says it's different:
https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/17/...FVWPMeZZbRZuqo

This sounds like an excellent reason to leave the bike lane before an
intersection and claim the normal vehicle lane.

Yes, although AFRAP still applies. I should draft a bill. Let me know if you have any language.

Reading the comments, it looks like the rider charged the intersection, and the truck was turning slowly. This is the classic get squashed scenario. I go around.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 6th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 9:38:09 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

This information needs to be much more widely spread:
https://cyclingsavvy.org/what-cyclis...-about-trucks/

Along with much else, it's covered in the free online Cycling Savvy course:
https://cyclingsavvy.org/courses/ess...-short-course/

Trouble is, very few people realize that you actually need to _learn_ about
riding a bike. They think they already know all there is to know.

The Oregon incident and many others like it should prove they're wrong.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 6th 18, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

[...]

As Far Right as Practicable should not require someone to endanger themselves.
Seems to me that riding straight while at the right side blind spot of someone
who may turn right is endangering one's self.

I never see "straight ahead" motor vehicle lanes striped to the right of
"right turn" lanes. They do that nonsense only with bike lanes.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 6th 18, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 7:36:24 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I do take the lane behind a truck although at some red lights, I will squeeze by when there is a bike box. As for AFRAP, I was not thinking of the turning scenario but rather the usual bike riding through an intersection. Getting out of the bike lane alignment to cross through an intersection with no turning traffic would be odd and result in bikes bobbing in and out of traffic. BTW, I'm spending a lot of time in the lanes these days because of the wet leaf heaps in the bike lanes. It's a dangerous time of the year. I'm waiting for the street sweepers to appear.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 6th 18, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 08:28:01 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

BTW, I'm spending a lot of time in the lanes these days because of
the wet leaf heaps in the bike lanes. It's a dangerous time of the year.
I'm waiting for the street sweepers to appear.
-- Jay Beattie.

You can possibly order one from AliExpress:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/photo/2013-09/03/content_16941126.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 6th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 11:28:04 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

We have blessedly few bike lanes and no mandatory bike lane law. But I have no qualms about leaving one for any reason. For example, about half a mile away
is a bike lane that's striped right up to an intersection where almost all
passing motorists turn right. I'm absolutely never in that bike lane.

If getting out of the bike lane required bobbing in and out of traffic, I think
I'd just stay out of it.

BTW, I'm spending a lot of time in the lanes these days because of the wet leaf heaps in the bike lanes. It's a dangerous time of the year. I'm waiting for the street sweepers to appear.

We had rain and heavy winds last night and this morning. There are wet leaves
everywhere.

Unfortunately, in my metro area, we'll have to wait until spring to see street
sweepers. :-(

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 6th 18, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

BTW, I'm spending a lot of time in the lanes these days because of
the wet leaf heaps in the bike lanes. It's a dangerous time of the year.
I'm waiting for the street sweepers to appear.
-- Jay Beattie.

You can possibly order one from AliExpress:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/photo/2013-09/03/content_16941126.htm

In Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, he recounts paying a
destitute woman to sweep his neighborhood street. Any chance
of finding an unemployed vagrant in Portland?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 18th 18, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 6:15:49 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
According to an Oregon judge, bike lanes don't legally exist in
intersections.

It's a bit odd, because car lanes do, even though (for practical
reasons) they are not marked. If you are driving in a lane just before
an intersection, you are expected to stay in that same unmarked lane
within the intersection and drive in the same lane past the
intersection. On a four-lane road, a motorist to your left is not
allowed to smash into you by changing lanes mid-intersection.

For a bike lane, this judge says it's different:
https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/17/...FVWPMeZZbRZuqo

This sounds like an excellent reason to leave the bike lane before an
intersection and claim the normal vehicle lane.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm in total agreement and I often do this. Especially in places where right turning traffic ignored bicycle right-of-way.