Chain wear and cassette question

Old November 17th 18, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 1:52:24 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 8:21:25 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/17/2018 10:05 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Real men prefer handlebar cages:

https://roma.corriere.it/methode_ima...e-Web-Roma.JPG

I don't understand why those went away. Assuming you're not using a
handlebar bag, seems they'd be way more convenient than the downtube cages.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That is real estate now used for Garmins, Stages, etc. -- and for me, lights. I had a bar-mount bottle cage when I was a kid and don't remember anything about it or whether it had any affect on front-end feel. I think it would be weird having a bottle of water sloshing on the bar while I was climbing out of the saddle, but I don't know. The ancients apparently liked them. The MTBers have trended to hydration packs. I don't want one, but they are the last word in convenience.

-- Jay Beattie.

I don't have any problem riding no-hands with a partially full handle bar mounted water bottle or even two of them. I like the center mounted ones because they are in the center of the steering axis. The dual bottle mounts I use has a center mount and the mount for each cage is offset so that the entire unit is still centered on the handlebar.

Here are 2 images of someone else's setup.

http://i60.tinypic.com/ixeazl.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2mx4yza.jpg

Cheers
Old November 18th 18, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 09:05:23 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/17/2018 12:29 AM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:08:05 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/14/2018 5:42 PM, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:02:03 -0800, Joerg wrote:

Joerg in particular might enjoy their B-Rad system (except that it
won't fit his favorite growler).
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...b-rad-products

I can't because my MTB doesn't even have the space for a single water
bottle of decent size. Even the bike dealer where I bought is said
"WHAT?? How could they now have that?". So I mounted one holder on the
handlebar (I have a bike with a cup holder now!) plus modded the rear
section for some heavy duty longhaul schlepping.

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

Naah, under the down tube, maybe even on top of the down tube close to
bottom bracket. And you could fit a real keg on top of the top tubes.

Under the downtube it gets dirty with horse poop, cow poop, bear poop
and dirty water, plus rock hits. Above there isn't enough space for a
decent size bottle, 28oz and such.

I used to carry two bottles on a carrier that mounted to the seat
rails and held the bottles behind the seat. There are also carriers
that mount on the handle bars and as a last resort I've carried
bottles in the pockets of my cycling jersey.

Real men prefer handlebar cages:

https://roma.corriere.it/methode_ima...e-Web-Roma.JPG

And they carried their spare tires on their shoulders :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old November 18th 18, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

That is similar to what I have on my MTB, except more upright like a cup
holder in a car. _Very_ practical. Not having to reach down allows me to
take a quick sip even in situations where you cannot control the
handlebar single-handedly for long.

I'd also have that on my road bike and might some day. However, that's
where the MP3 player already resides and the bar is so narrow.

But you can buy wider bars. see
https://tinyurl.com/y7npyvt7
and heat treated after bending means that they are super strong too
:-)
cheers,

John B.

Old November 18th 18, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

That little "stem extender" doohickey in the first picture looks
potentially useful. I've always wanted a second smaller bar mounted in
front of my regular bar for lights, GPS and whatever other **** I needed
right in front of me. Sheldon's quill into a threadless stem idea was
nifty, but being able to bolt a second stem at the end of the first would
be even better.

Old November 18th 18, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 23:39:10 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I believe that several companies make a clamp on attachment that does
just that?
https://tinyurl.com/y7euqvb4
or even better
https://tinyurl.com/y99oy7ct
cheers,

John B.

Old November 18th 18, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/17/2018 6:39 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Seems there are lots of possibilities. From Peter White's site
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.php

comes this photo
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ima...light-bar2.jpg

that gives you an idea what's possible.

In fact, I don't see why those Nitto holders
https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-lamp...540-14/product
couldn't be daisy chained. How many feet of extra mounting space would
you like? ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 18th 18, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I've seen the Nitto style extenders, and they're pretty good, but if you
had a 4 bolt stem, wouldn't it be great to replace the front cap with
another 4 bolt stem and have the second bar with NO wasted space on the
first bar?

Old November 18th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/17/2018 5:39 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Minoura's Space Grip is an old cheap and ubiquitous thing
see your LBS:
https://www.cyclechat.net/attachment...-1-jpg.322237/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 18th 18, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

SG-200 and SG-200L as shown in your link are now discontinued items. there is a similar unit shown on the Minoura site though. You can see them under "Light Holder" on the website.

http://www.minoura.jp/english/access...ttlecageholder

Cheers
Old November 18th 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Then I'd go all out:

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike...er-chrome.html

Plus a nice loud Harley sound on the MP3 player.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/