Giro d'Italia, stage 19 summary

Old May 30th 11, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Default Giro d'Italia, stage 19 summary

On Sunday, 29 May 2011 16:58:50 UTC-7, RicodJour wrote:
On May 29, 5:13*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I remember having this discussion before, but should a race leader's "time" be the gap to 2nd? Otherwise, it looks like a race leader is making no race progress between the time they take the lead and the time they lose it (or win).

How much 'progress' is possible from first place? 1st +....?

I wasn't very clear on this, but I meant the "gainers/losers on time" stat Bob keeps. So the thing that matters is the time gap between first and second, and whether or not it is growing, shrinking, or static.

For all other racers, leave the benchmark (relative to leader) as is, but for a current race leader, gain loss should be
relative to their previous lead over 2nd, even if the second place rider changes. Similarly, a rider who newly attains
1st can be credited with their old time gap PLUS their new time gap to 2nd.

But the podium places are only concerned with the relative times
between the first three places. If the people change, so what? I'm
not sure I understand your thoughts on this one, but it almost sounds
like you want to create a new category akin to a King of The Mountains
or Points. But I'm not sure if what you're suggesting would turn into
a Consistency or Combativeness or Win Some Lose Some But I Sure Do
Take Chances category.

The point is that for all riders except 1st, the time gap to first represents their target. For a rider who is in first, the time gap to the field (2nd, really) is what matters, without regard to who is in 2nd (just as the gap to first doesn't care if the race leader changes).

This reflects the idea that all riders chase the leader, but the leader tries to escape the runer-up.

I'm pretty sure that's already the idea.

What I'm getting at is that when Contador was picking up time in the mountains, he wasn't getting credit for that time gain in Bob's stats. No matter what, the leader neither gains nor loses any time each day (unless he gains or loses the lead).

This doesn't reflect what's really happening, IMHO.
Old May 30th 11, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
[...]

Why is your References header missing?
Old May 30th 11, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article ,
"A. Dumas" wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote: