OT rant aargh!

Old September 19th 03, 04:10 AM
Penny S

Default OT rant aargh!

the new season of survivor... a woman scout leader, I'm sorry but how does a
woman teach boys to be men? I guess I've been too conditioned by my son's
troop who's attitude is "mom's butt out out and let your son become a man
under the leadership of men and boys..." ( and I agree btw)

ok, carry on....

Old September 19th 03, 04:33 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:10:28 -0700, Penny S penned:
the new season of survivor... a woman scout leader, I'm sorry but how does a
woman teach boys to be men? I guess I've been too conditioned by my son's
troop who's attitude is "mom's butt out out and let your son become a man
under the leadership of men and boys..." ( and I agree btw)

ok, carry on....

Maybe they don't need to be taught to be "men," and instead need to be
taught to be people?

Seriously, by the time kids are old enough to join scouts, they've
absorbed plenty of gender-role indoctrination. Do they really need
more? If a scout leader knows how to lead and how to do all of the
things the scouts need to do, who cares whether it's a male or a female?

Actually, now I'm curious. Why *do* you think it matters?

PS -- it's survivor. It's a show put on for ratings, not for realism.

--
monique

My pointless ramblings:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6
Old September 19th 03, 04:51 AM
deluxe

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:10:28 -0700, Penny S

penned:
the new season of survivor... a woman scout leader, I'm sorry but how

does a
woman teach boys to be men? I guess I've been too conditioned by my

son's
troop who's attitude is "mom's butt out out and let your son become a

man
under the leadership of men and boys..." ( and I agree btw)

ok, carry on....

Maybe they don't need to be taught to be "men," and instead need to be
taught to be people?

Seriously, by the time kids are old enough to join scouts, they've
absorbed plenty of gender-role indoctrination. Do they really need
more? If a scout leader knows how to lead and how to do all of the
things the scouts need to do, who cares whether it's a male or a female?

I agree! I would be more than willing to lead a troop of teenage females!
Hey, I'm a 'people' person.

Old September 19th 03, 04:57 AM
Slacker

Maybe they don't need to be taught to be "men," and instead need to be
taught to be people?

There's a difference?

Old September 19th 03, 05:01 AM
Penny S

Monique Y. Herman scrawled in bright red lipstick:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:10:28 -0700, Penny S
penned:
the new season of survivor... a woman scout leader, I'm sorry but
how does a woman teach boys to be men? I guess I've been too
conditioned by my son's troop who's attitude is "mom's butt out out
and let your son become a man under the leadership of men and
boys..." ( and I agree btw)

ok, carry on....

Maybe they don't need to be taught to be "men," and instead need to be
taught to be people?

nope, as a mom of boys I do believe that moms need to step back and men need
to step in. Men and women are different.

Seriously, by the time kids are old enough to join scouts, they've
absorbed plenty of gender-role indoctrination. Do they really need
more? If a scout leader knows how to lead and how to do all of the
things the scouts need to do, who cares whether it's a male or a
female?

see above.

Actually, now I'm curious. Why *do* you think it matters?

Even my sons are laughing about it.
the whole thing is stupid TV at it's finest.

P.

Old September 19th 03, 05:10 AM
Greg P.

"Penny S" wrote in message
| the new season of survivor... a woman scout leader, I'm sorry but how does
| woman teach boys to be men? I guess I've been too conditioned by my son's
| troop who's attitude is "mom's butt out out and let your son become a man
| under the leadership of men and boys..." ( and I agree btw)

I agree with you, too bad you're not single ... but neither am I ;/

BTW, you share the same views on such topics as Ashley Judd (whom I find
very beautiful and would love to meet!).

How old is/are your son(s)? And what kind of troop is it? Boy scouts?
Camping?

Old September 19th 03, 05:15 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:01:24 -0700, Penny S penned:

nope, as a mom of boys I do believe that moms need to step back and men need
to step in. Men and women are different.

I believe that you believe that. What I want to know is, *why* do you
believe that?

Or to ask it differently: If men and women are different, why do you
think that boys need to learn to be men by watching boys and men? I
mean, if they're inherently "man-like," they will be "man-like" with or
without social stimuli, right?

Old September 19th 03, 05:16 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:57:42 -0700, Slacker penned:
Maybe they don't need to be taught to be "men," and instead need to be
taught to be people?

There's a difference?

That's kind of my point ...

Old September 19th 03, 05:28 AM
Joel Crum

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in
:

mean, if they're inherently "man-like," they will be "man-like" with or
without social stimuli, right?

Because you can do it well or you can do it very poorly indeed. I expect
Penny would prefer her boys learn to be *good* men.

--
- Joel C.

"And if this all blows up and goes to hell,
I can still see us sitting on the bed in some motel
listening to the stories we could tell." - Tom Petty
Old September 19th 03, 05:33 AM
Slacker

Maybe they don't need to be taught to be "men," and instead need to be
taught to be people?

There's a difference?

That's kind of my point ...

--
monique

Are you a feminist?
--
Slacker

Cyclist rant psycholist General 96 June 6th 04 02:02 AM
Further to Claire Petersky's rant psycholist General 34 June 5th 04 01:24 PM
OT (sorta) - UPS Rant voodoo Mountain Biking 20 August 15th 03 05:12 PM