Sustrans routes

Old September 21st 03, 04:18 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Default Sustrans routes

I had the dubious pleasure of negotiating a mile of Route 4 on my road
bike with 18mm tyres this morning - railway ballast and deep sand seemed
to be the order of the day. Are most of them like that, and if so, why
can't Sustrans be more upfront about the fact that they're MTB-only (I
wouldn't even have wanted to take my expedition tourer down there!)

I read the C2C booklet last month and nowhere does it mention that
"proper" bikes are unsuitable for completing the route. Sorry guys, but
the NCN isn't going to be anything other than a weekend leisure activity
unless you can get some blacktop out there. Most people like to have
mudguards and road tyres on their commuting bikes!

On the other hand, the tarmac path from M4 J16 to Swindon town centre is
nice...it bypasses a piece of 70mph dual carriageway, which in itself
wouldn't be so bad if there weren't wheel-eating drains every 100 yds :-)

/rant over

Roger

Old September 21st 03, 04:43 PM
Simon Mason

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
[...]

That's why a hybrid is useful. Mine has 700C X 36 tyres and has no problem
on gravel tracks, foreshores, chalk tracks, grass fields etc. The only thing
it baulks at is deep loose pebbles .

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old September 21st 03, 05:56 PM
Richard Corfield

In article , Zog The Undeniable wrote:

I read the C2C booklet last month and nowhere does it mention that
"proper" bikes are unsuitable for completing the route. Sorry guys, but
the NCN isn't going to be anything other than a weekend leisure activity
unless you can get some blacktop out there. Most people like to have
mudguards and road tyres on their commuting bikes!

We're planning ahead for the Sea2Sea (Whitehaven to Sunderland) next
April/May, and again planning on using recumbent road trikes. Looking
at the map, there are a lot of "white road" alternatives. Do you have
any experience of this route?

Other fun of Sustrans, though they say they're getting rid of them, are
the anti-tandem gates. That said, motorbikes may be more annoying.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/
Old September 21st 03, 06:37 PM
Steve Peake

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:18:36 +0100, Zog The Undeniable wrote:

I had the dubious pleasure of negotiating a mile of Route 4 on my road
bike with 18mm tyres this morning - railway ballast and deep sand seemed
to be the order of the day. Are most of them like that, and if so, why
can't Sustrans be more upfront about the fact that they're MTB-only (I
wouldn't even have wanted to take my expedition tourer down there!)

and the MTB riders moan that they are too sanitized!

Sustrans is in a no win situation here, lets just say they are suitable for
most bikes.

Steve
Old September 21st 03, 07:49 PM
VERNON LEVY

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
I had the dubious pleasure of negotiating a mile of Route 4 on my road
bike with 18mm tyres this morning - railway ballast and deep sand seemed
to be the order of the day. Are most of them like that, and if so, why
can't Sustrans be more upfront about the fact that they're MTB-only (I
wouldn't even have wanted to take my expedition tourer down there!)

The routes are not MTB only. I did the C2C with 700 x 23 tyres and survived
the two day experience though admittedly the wheels needed attention
afterwards after coping with my 21 stone frame and full camping gear. I saw
the full range of pedal powered transport apart from recumbents on the C2C
plus electric buggies and wheelchairs. There nearly always is a road
alternative if you consider the cyclepath to be too vicious for your bike.
There is no compulsion to follow the route slavishly.

I read the C2C booklet last month and nowhere does it mention that
"proper" bikes are unsuitable for completing the route. Sorry guys, but
the NCN isn't going to be anything other than a weekend leisure activity
unless you can get some blacktop out there. Most people like to have
mudguards and road tyres on their commuting bikes!

Think of the the extraordinary expense of quality blacktop and consider what
the size of the NCN might be if all cycle paths were tarmac'ed.

I've nothing but praise for the C2C and Three Rivers routes on the NCN. My
only quibble is with the erratic signposting (probably stolen by local
youths).

Vernon
in Leeds

Old September 21st 03, 08:27 PM
Andy P

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote

I had the dubious pleasure of negotiating a mile of Route 4 on my road
bike with 18mm tyres this morning - railway ballast and deep sand seemed
to be the order of the day. Are most of them like that, and if so, why
can't Sustrans be more upfront about the fact that they're MTB-only (I
wouldn't even have wanted to take my expedition tourer down there!)

I regularly ride bits of Route 4 between between Bristol and Chepstow on
route to the Forest of Dean. The signed route up the old towpath on one
side of the River Avon is loose surfaced but very scenic. You can ride up
the tarmac cyclepath on the other side of the river which is a shorter route
but it isn't signed as an alternative which I think it ought to be. After
that various bits of traffic free path have been popping up over the last
few years. They're all tarmac bar one which is still pretty good. I've yet
to see a single other cyclist using them though. It appears to be just me
and the rabbits.

One Sustrans signed bit I followed a few years ago somewhere betweeen the
end of the Tarka Trail and Ilfracombe I couldn't even manage on an MTB.
Steep, stony and I had to fight my way through undergrowth in places.
Certainly very little room to pass anyone coming the other way. Don't know
what it's like now.

Old September 21st 03, 11:35 PM
Simon Brooke

"VERNON LEVY" writes:

We're planning ahead for the Sea2Sea (Whitehaven to Sunderland) next
April/May, and again planning on using recumbent road trikes. Looking
at the map, there are a lot of "white road" alternatives. Do you have
any experience of this route?

The parts of the route that are on old railway lines are not particularly
recumbent, tandem or fully laden touring bike friendly as there are a range
of barriers deployed to keep motor cycles off the route. Many of the traps
can be bypassed by lifting the recumbents over the 'equine hurdles' for want
of a better description.

OK, we're also planning on being on the C2C next April, and have been
discussing which bikes to take. The choice is between fairly light
road bikes - the sort you serious roadies would probably consider fit
only as winter, training or commuting bikes - and good light hill
bikes, which we'd probably fit with hybrid tyres for the trip. We
don't have 'touring' style bikes, and I don't think I could fit
touring style tyres on my road bike because it hasn't much
clearance.

Riding hill bikes on tarmac for hour after hour isn't any sort of
fun. But equally riding a bike with skinny road tyres on old railway
ballast for miles doesn't appeal much either. A lot of the route
photos at URL: http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/ show surfaces which
don't look at all friendly to road tyres.

Any advice? My main objective is to enjoy the route as much as
possible; I'm not out to set any records or prove anything to
anyone. I appreciate that the serious 'off-road' sections like the old
coach road have 'on-road' alternatives, but can you reasonably
complete the whole route _comfortably_ on skinny road tyres?

'You cannot put "The Internet" into the Recycle Bin.'
Old September 22nd 03, 05:39 AM
VERNON LEVY

Any advice? My main objective is to enjoy the route as much as
possible; I'm not out to set any records or prove anything to
anyone. I appreciate that the serious 'off-road' sections like the old
coach road have 'on-road' alternatives, but can you reasonably
complete the whole route _comfortably_ on skinny road tyres?

Yes. I got only two punctures. The sections with loose surfaces were OK.
Some of the hills make owners of two ring set ups wish for a third ring - I
did a fair amount of pushing but there again, I weigh 20 stone and was
carrying 30-40 pound of kit. CAn't wait 'til I'm leaner and meaner :-)

Vernon

Old September 22nd 03, 09:49 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"VERNON LEVY" typed

The routes are not MTB only. I did the C2C with 700 x 23 tyres and survived
the two day experience though admittedly the wheels needed attention
afterwards after coping with my 21 stone frame and full camping gear. I saw

^^^^^^^^
the full range of pedal powered transport apart from recumbents on the C2C
plus electric buggies and wheelchairs. There nearly always is a road
alternative if you consider the cyclepath to be too vicious for your bike.
There is no compulsion to follow the route slavishly.

Any advice? My main objective is to enjoy the route as much as
possible; I'm not out to set any records or prove anything to
anyone. I appreciate that the serious 'off-road' sections like the old
coach road have 'on-road' alternatives, but can you reasonably
complete the whole route _comfortably_ on skinny road tyres?

Yes. I got only two punctures. The sections with loose surfaces were OK.
Some of the hills make owners of two ring set ups wish for a third ring - I
did a fair amount of pushing but there again, I weigh 20 stone and was

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
carrying 30-40 pound of kit. CAn't wait 'til I'm leaner and meaner :-)

You seem to have lost a stone already. Well done!!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 22nd 03, 03:27 PM
RJ Webb

I read the C2C booklet last month and nowhere does it mention that
"proper" bikes are unsuitable for completing the route. Sorry guys, but
the NCN isn't going to be anything other than a weekend leisure activity
unless you can get some blacktop out there. Most people like to have
mudguards and road tyres on their commuting bikes!

I thought they were largely a leisure thing, a sort of Offas Dyke PAth
for bikes. I have done about 600miles of 6, 5 and the Trans Pennine
recently on a tourer and found all the routes to be roughish but
doable, certainly no need for a mountain bike. However, most of the
time, with the barriers and serpentine routes, there is no way that
they are transport routes.

Richard Webb