Cyclist mows down blind woman on pedestrian crossing

Old February 19th 20, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Cyclist mows down blind woman on pedestrian crossing

Deborah, who is severely visually impaired, had to go to A&E at the
Homerton Hospital for a sprained wrist caused by the incident.

Deborah told the Gazette: "I held onto the signal box and waited for the
green box and crossed and got most of the way to the other side, and got
hit by a cyclist coming the other way. It was terrifying. I have a
nasty, sprained wrist and my cane is destroyed. [...] According to
witnesses it caught my cane between the wheels and ripped it out of my
hand, which is why I have a sprained wrist. So I don't think he actually
hit me but he cold have quite easily. My cane shattered, that could have
been my leg."

https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/n...bury-1-6519938
Old February 19th 20, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 19/02/2020 10:37, MrCheerful wrote:
Deborah, who is severely visually impaired, had to go to A&E at the
Homerton Hospital for a sprained wrist caused by the incident.

Deborah told the Gazette: "I held onto the signal box and waited for the
green box and crossed and got most of the way to the other side, and got
hit by a cyclist coming the other way. It was terrifying. I have a
nasty, sprained wrist and my cane is destroyed. [...] According to
witnesses it caught my cane between the wheels and ripped it out of my
hand, which is why I have a sprained wrist. So I don't think he actually
hit me but he cold have quite easily. My cane shattered, that could have
been my leg."

https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/n...bury-1-6519938

QUOTE:
Deborah ... was navigating the pedestrian crossing from Highbury Place
towards Highbury & Islington Station when she claims a cyclist cut
across the pavement before colliding with her stick.
ENDQUOTE

If he hit something she was carrying and injured her, for all intents
and purposes, he hit her. She was injured and had to be treated in
hospital. That certainly counts as a traffic accident within the meaning
of the legislation.

The footway at that location is not a "shared surface" or anything else
on which a cyclist is entitled to ride. Cyclists at that point should be
taking their chances with the rest of the traffic, nit endangering
pedestrians.

/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdMtyr2S5iKheWNgX40czOg!2e0!6s% 2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DdMtyr2S5iKheW NgX40czOg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_ sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26y aw%3D109.8693%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312 !8i6656?hl=en

Old February 19th 20, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 19/02/2020 10:37, MrCheerful wrote:
Deborah, who is severely visually impaired, had to go to A&E at the
Homerton Hospital for a sprained wrist caused by the incident.

Deborah told the Gazette: "I held onto the signal box and waited for the
green box and crossed and got most of the way to the other side, and got
hit by a cyclist coming the other way. It was terrifying. I have a
nasty, sprained wrist and my cane is destroyed. [...] According to
witnesses it caught my cane between the wheels and ripped it out of my
hand, which is why I have a sprained wrist. So I don't think he actually
hit me but he cold have quite easily. My cane shattered, that could have
been my leg."

https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/n...bury-1-6519938

What a sad life you have.

--
Bod
Old February 19th 20, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 19/02/2020 11:44, JNugent wrote:
[...]

You and Cheerless both have sad lives. You both sound like a couple

of moany old women.

--
Bod
Old February 19th 20, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 19/02/2020 12:15, Bod wrote:
[...]

And of course, rogue cyclists have an absolute right not to have
attention drawn to their crimes, don't they?

In fact, I bet that you, in a spirit of friendly and co-operative
assortative non-judgmentalism, are perfectly prepared to completely
overlook this incident?
Old February 22nd 20, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 10:37 19 Feb 2020, MrCheerful wrote:

Deborah, who is severely visually impaired, had to go to A&E at the
Homerton Hospital for a sprained wrist caused by the incident.

Deborah told the Gazette: "I held onto the signal box and waited for the
green box and crossed and got most of the way to the other side, and got
hit by a cyclist coming the other way. It was terrifying. I have a
nasty, sprained wrist and my cane is destroyed. [...] According to
witnesses it caught my cane between the wheels and ripped it out of my
hand, which is why I have a sprained wrist. So I don't think he actually
hit me but he cold have quite easily. My cane shattered, that could have
been my leg."

https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/n...sighted-woman-
shaken-and-injured-after-cyclist-collided-with-her-white-cane-in-
highbury-1-6519938

I wonder why the cyclist wasn't arrested and charged. He was conducting
himself if a very dangerous manner.

Old February 22nd 20, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 22/02/2020 12:30, Pamela wrote:
[...]

Indeed. And it is reported that he did stop, so the police can't even
claim that he couldn't be found.

QUOTE:
Islington Council's transport and environment chief Cllr Rowena Champion
said: "... It is completely unacceptable for cyclists to mount the curb
and cycle on the pavement, putting pedestrians at risk.

"I met with [the cyclist's victim] recently, along with council
transport officers and representatives from Transport [against] London,
to discuss pedestrian safety at Highbury Corner and tackle dangerous and
illegal cycling behaviour. As a matter of urgency, the council will work
with T[a]L and the police to educate cyclists and, where needed, take
enforcement action against illegal cycling through the new pedestrian
spaces at Highbury Corner."
ENDQUOTE
Old February 26th 20, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 12:36 22 Feb 2020, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I hope Cllr Champion gets the council to investigate fully. At the very
least the cyclist should be named and shamed, although that is hardly
compensation for his victim.

Old February 26th 20, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 11:42:49 AM UTC, Pamela wrote:

I hope Cllr Champion gets the council to investigate fully. At the very
least the cyclist should be named and shamed, although that is hardly
compensation for his victim.

Has this guy been found yet?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-crossing.html
Old February 26th 20, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 26/02/2020 11:42, Pamela wrote:
[...]

On reflection, the journalists and editorial staff of the Islington
Gazette need to be helped to learn the difference in meaning between the
two English words "curb" and "kerb".