Birmingham road rage driver ordered to pay £25 compensation after helmet cam conviction

Old January 28th 12, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Birmingham road rage driver ordered to pay £25 compensation after helmet cam conviction

Hit 'em where it hurts.
In the pocket :-)

QUOTE:
A Birmingham motorist has been ordered to pay a cyclist £25 in compensation
after pleading guilty to a public order offence following a road rage
incident last August, which was filmed on the rider's helmet camera. The
news comes less than a fortnight after we reported on the conviction of a
London driver who had verbally threatened cycling lawyer Martin Porter in an
incident similarly captured on film.

The Birmingham Mail reports that 38-year old IT consultant Rob Styles was
cycling home from work along Pershore Road, Stirchley, when the incident
occurred at 6.25pm on the evening of 25 August. As the camera footage shows,
a car pulled up alongside him, halting on the pavement, with the driver,
55-year-old Robert Johnson from Selly Oak. He is then filmed getting out and
unleashing a tirade peppered with four letter words at Mr Styles, asking
him, "Do you want a f*cking fight?"

Mr Styles subsequently uploaded the video to YouTube. The motorist pleaded
guilty to a public order offence at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on
Thursday, and besides being ordered to pay Mr Styles £25 compensation, was
also ordered to pay £105 costs.

Mr Styles said: "Cyclists have a right to be on the road. It was pretty
scary, I thought I was going to get hit."

http://road.cc/content/news/51269-bi...-caught-helmet

--
Simon Mason

Old January 29th 12, 05:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 28, 5:40*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
[...]

http://road.cc/content/news/51269-bi...leads-guilty-f...

Some excellent comments as usual.

QUOTE

On reflection, £25 is quite steep when you consider that the driver
has to look in the mirror and see his own fat, plethoric,
hypertensive, miserable bowling ball with fluff on top face everyday
of his tiresome and futile existence. At least he has been made to
look like a bell-end on the world wide web.

--
Simon Mason
Old January 29th 12, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Jan 29, 5:43*am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:40*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

[...]

I am beginning to be convinced that this helmet cam stuff is the
answer we cyclists have been looking for for a long time in response
to driver rage and deliberate rammings. Which cam do you recommend and
how long does it run for?

Doug

Old January 29th 12, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 29/01/2012 05:43, Simon Mason wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:40 pm, "Simon
wrote:
[...]

We know someone else who has ben made to look like a bell end on the WWW
don't we?

Someone who's photo looks like someone has just farted!

University
Old January 29th 12, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:
[...]

You forget that some have seen your photo posted on the web, O
pavement-biter.

Old January 29th 12, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_7_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

[...]

I can see which way this is going - you'll probably find a smack in the
mouth is followed by stamping on the video glasses.
I certainly don't condone such behaviour, this is the mark of the moron and
thug; but there are plenty of those about.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but I'm a student of reality - I
leave the fantasy to others.

Old January 29th 12, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

A cursory Google image search for '"david lang", medway' brings up
this image:
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/images/snowgorilla2_l.JPG
Old January 29th 12, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

[...]

This is ******** Simon.
A while ago I cut up a very tough looking bloke in Leyland, Lancashire.
He got out of van and threatened me with a harding over.
Regardless of blame I did not report him to the police.
Time you cyclists grew up I think.

Old January 29th 12, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Doug- Hide quoted text -

Tell them I sent you.

http://qurl.com/j7sgk

--
Simon Mason
Old January 29th 12, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 29, 11:52*am, "Partac" wrote:

I can see which way this is going - you'll probably find a smack in the
mouth is followed by stamping on the video glasses.

As I stated in our local rag, as long as the micro SD card survives
the assault, I don't care.

--
Simon Mason