Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

Old August 21st 19, 08:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Nope. The "NAS" number has changed but the same old bolt is still
available. A NAS 147-53 is now called a MS25007-40

The AN- Army Navy specification series started in the early 1940s
NAS-
National Aerospace Standards, started
in 1941

MS- Military standard started around
the 1950s

That conveniently ignores the fact that a 1/4"-28 screw isn't an M6x1.0 screw. There is no metric "internal wrenching bolt" so there's no such bolt on a recently manufactured bicycle (even a pretend bicycle like a Huffy).
Old August 21st 19, 09:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 00:17:30 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Nope. The "NAS" number has changed but the same old bolt is still
available. A NAS 147-53 is now called a MS25007-40

The AN- Army Navy specification series started in the early 1940s
NAS-
National Aerospace Standards, started
in 1941

MS- Military standard started around
the 1950s

That conveniently ignores the fact that a 1/4"-28 screw isn't an M6x1.0 screw. There is no metric "internal wrenching bolt" so there's no such bolt on a recently manufactured bicycle (even a pretend bicycle like a Huffy).

Well, it wouldn't be would it. It would be an M6.34 x 0.907 bolt/screw
:-)

I think that you may be correct, there doesn't seem to be a "metric
internal wrenching bolt" but there is a "metric socket head screw"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread
And of course, the "socket head" description would indicate to most
mechanics that it was "internal wrenching".
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 21st 19, 10:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 2:17:33 AM UTC-5, Chalo wrote:
John B. Slocomb wrote:

Nope. The "NAS" number has changed but the same old bolt is still
available. A NAS 147-53 is now called a MS25007-40

The AN- Army Navy specification series started in the early 1940s
NAS-
National Aerospace Standards, started
in 1941

MS- Military standard started around
the 1950s

That conveniently ignores the fact that a 1/4"-28 screw isn't an M6x1.0 screw. There is no metric "internal wrenching bolt" so there's no such bolt on a recently manufactured bicycle (even a pretend bicycle like a Huffy).

Don't be dissin my bike. :-)

For the price, Huffy makes a fine bike.

I've also had a fine Raleigh 3 speed that I logged thousands of miles with.

Andy
Old August 21st 19, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Nope. The "NAS" number has changed but the same old bolt is still
available. A NAS 147-53 is now called a MS25007-40

The AN- Army Navy specification series started in the early 1940s
NAS-
National Aerospace Standards, started
in 1941

MS- Military standard started around
the 1950s

That conveniently ignores the fact that a 1/4"-28 screw isn't an M6x1.0 screw. There is no metric "internal wrenching bolt" so there's no such bolt on a recently manufactured bicycle (even a pretend bicycle like a Huffy).

Don't be dissin my bike. :-)

For the price, Huffy makes a fine bike.

I've also had a fine Raleigh 3 speed that I logged thousands of miles with.

Andy

Me too.
You, sir, are obviously a man of discernment and cultivated
taste.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 21st 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 5:19:21 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 3:25:34 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 9:28:56 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

That is a standard "Internal Wrenching Bolt"

This made me laugh. It says so much with so few words. It even hints at an explanation (not to say excuse) for your politics.

A perhaps more widely understood technical term would be "M6 x 1.0 x 12 socket head cap screw".

Chalo - no one knows the size of these things if they're asking about it. It is a STANDARD type of screw that can be bought in any fully equipped Ace Hardware Store anywhere in the US.

By the way - It is NOT a "cap screw". It is as I said, and Internal Wrenching Bolt. Now they are often mislabeled and you'd find a Cap Screw in the wrong bin.

Really? IIRC, at my Ace they're called socket head cap screws. And my Ace has a mind-boggling amount of fasteners, including SS metric socket head cap screws for my bike -- button head and regular.

-- Jay Beattie.

So, you found it at the Ace Hardware but because they mislabeled it you want to take their name for it rather than the proper one that you can look up on-line? This is why it is so easy to laugh at you.
Old August 21st 19, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 7:05:22 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

By the way - It is NOT a "cap screw". It is as I said, and Internal
Wrenching Bolt. Now they are often mislabeled and you'd find a Cap
Screw in the wrong bin.

I had to look up your laughable term to see if anybody else had heard of it. It turns out that an "internal wrenching bolt" is a Jim Crow-era NAS (US aviation industry) designation for a certain kind of cadmium-plated fastener which is by definition not metric. While the decorative head on a craptastic linear-pull brake cable fixing screw is superficially kind of similar, it's not an inch-sized, cadmium-plated, ludicrously expensive airplane part. So it's not what you say it is.

But feel free to keep doubling down.

You are perfectly welcome to invent any name you like for a common head shape. You can even tell everyone that because some have metric hex interiors instead of English size hex that it is a completely different head shape. Is there something wrong in your head for which you simply cannot agree on a commonly available part?
Old August 21st 19, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Now tell us that this is "Jim Crow" whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. Tell us that the size of the hex is more important than the actual shape of the head.
Old August 21st 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

I did a Google search for Internal Wrenching Bolt and they are similar to
socket head cap screws, but higher strength, with an external taper on the
head. So while I’ve never heard the term before in my life, and certainly
have never heard it used in the context of bicycles, I’d say Tom is right.

Same here. A socket head cap screw may be an acceptable replacement,
but it does not seem to be the OEM part.
Old August 21st 19, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

Having looked through the fasteners at my local Ace many, many times, I can guaranty you there there is no drawer, box or fastener labeled "Internal Wrenching Bolt." Maybe such a bolt exists, but what I use on my bike is labeled as a socket head cap screw. Go to Grainger: https://tinyurl.com/y4y89fww Type in "internal Wrenching Bolt" and see what comes up. Nada. An internal wrenching bolt is some odd-ball aircraft/military fastener with inch dimensions. It's not a metric fastener. Now go to the internet and type in "internal wrenching bolt" -- and get a bunch of military crap. https://military-fasteners.com/bolts...renching+bolts

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 21st 19, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/20/2019 8:44 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/20/2019 8:11 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/20/2019 5:55 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 01:39:44 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 04:14:45 UTC-4, John B.
Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 22:06:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/19/2019 11:54 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 5:35:56 PM UTC-7, AK
wrote:
The opening in the hex screw that holds the rear
brake cable has become much looser than it used to
be. What is the name of the part so I can order
another one? (Hopefully they have some made of
harder steel.)

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

That is a standard "Internal Wrenching Bolt" and is
probably available at your nearest Ace Hardware store
in the Metric area.

Tom should go into a specialty fastener store (or just
a good hardware
store) and ask for an "Internal Wrenching Bolt."

Please report back on the look on the proprietor's face.

The proper terminology is "one of them there thangs" :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.

I worked at a mine and one day a guy came into the tool
crib and asked for a part. His description of the part.
"The whatcamacallit that fits on the doohickey that goes
on the thingamajig." I was amazed that the guy in the
tool crib handed him the part he needed. Apparently that
part broke frequently.

A lot of times, not knowing the terminology of bicycle
things makes it very difficult for those who'd like to
help a person with the questions.

Cheers

Old car parts guys are/were much the same. You'd walk in
the door with
this grotty, broken, dirty, hunk of iron, and the guy
would look up
and, from across the room, say "Oh Yes, front steering
knuckle on the
1937 pickup". "Charley! There is one on shelf 113/B".
--

Cheers,

John B.

That just happened to me Saturday. "I've looked
everywhere for..."

"Simplex 503. $1.95"

Or $199.00 elsewhere, I see:
https://www.ebay.com/i/113775529548

Maybe it wasn't exactly the same?

Aha! We have several libraries here. Found it!
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/simplex1.jpg

See penultimate item near bottom of page.