How do Wireless Computers Work?

Old July 14th 03, 04:29 PM
Dransfield

Default How do Wireless Computers Work?

Does the display unti have some sort of radio frequency receiver in it, and
the sensor have a radio frequency pulse making thingy in it. If this is the
case do the batteries run flat quicker than wired ones while in sleep mode
(ie. its' radio's on all the time its parked in the shed)? I'm thinking of
getting one, but don't want to be changing the batteries a lot.

mark

Old July 15th 03, 11:43 AM
Bill

Dransfield wrote in message
Does the display unti have some sort of radio frequency receiver in it,

and
the sensor have a radio frequency pulse making thingy in it. If this is

the
case do the batteries run flat quicker than wired ones while in sleep mode
(ie. its' radio's on all the time its parked in the shed)? I'm thinking of
getting one, but don't want to be changing the batteries a lot.

My cateye cordless is still going strong after two years without a battery
change.

I don't think it is strictly wireless in that it is transmitting all the
time. The magnet moving across a coil generates an electro magenetic pulse
which the receiver picks up. Or am I talking complete balls? I am open to
correction.

Bill

Old July 15th 03, 12:28 PM
Geoff Pearson

"Bill" wrote in message
news

[...]

I've just changed the batteries in my £13 Equus for the first time after 4
years. It was so cheap from the Edinburgh Bike Coop I couldn't not have it
and I use it every day.

Old July 17th 03, 11:27 AM
Mike Quin

James Annan writes:

Dransfield wrote:
Does the display unti have some sort of radio frequency receiver in it, and
the sensor have a radio frequency pulse making thingy in it. If this is the
case do the batteries run flat quicker than wired ones while in sleep mode

The transmitter only transmits when the magnet passes the sensor, so
it shouldn't go flat just sitting around.

There is one exception to this: if you park the bike with the sensor
and magnet lined up then the transmitter will be left on, draining the
battery.

--
Mike Quin :: Do you want to save before you quit? ::
Old July 17th 03, 11:59 AM
Tony W

"Mike Quin" wrote in message
James Annan writes:

Dransfield wrote:
Does the display unti have some sort of radio frequency receiver in

it, and
the sensor have a radio frequency pulse making thingy in it. If this

is the
case do the batteries run flat quicker than wired ones while in sleep

mode

The transmitter only transmits when the magnet passes the sensor, so
it shouldn't go flat just sitting around.

There is one exception to this: if you park the bike with the sensor
and magnet lined up then the transmitter will be left on, draining the
battery.

Probably not as the pulse will be 'edge triggered' if the engineer who
designed it was even half competent.

Old July 17th 03, 01:41 PM
Mike Quin

"Tony W" writes:

"Mike Quin" wrote in message

There is one exception to this: if you park the bike with the sensor
and magnet lined up then the transmitter will be left on, draining the
battery.

Probably not as the pulse will be 'edge triggered' if the engineer who
designed it was even half competent.

If I've still got the one I dismantled a while back lying around I'll
check later, but if my memory serves me correctly the sensor end of it
consisted of a simple transmitter connected to the battery by way of a
reed switch. When the reed switch is closed by the magnet the
transmitter is on.

--
Mike Quin :: Do you want to save before you quit? ::