Wireless Cycle Computers and Rear View Mirror Helmet?!?

Old October 11th 03, 10:12 PM
Mark Thompson

Default Wireless Cycle Computers and Rear View Mirror Helmet?!?

Am thinking of getting a helmet but the annoyance factor has stopped me so
far. These may change my mind - has anyone tried 'em?
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...cfm?ID=2561224 ?
They're helmets with an integrated rear view mirror. It's not April so I
presume they really do exist.

Also, are wireless cycle computers any good? I've heard comments about them
misreading distance and speed - have later models overcome this? Is this
what 'excellent noise immunity' means? What sort of accuracy can I expect
from them?

Thankyou for any comments.

Old October 11th 03, 11:35 PM
Simon Brooke

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:12:50 +0100, Mark Thompson wrote:

Also, are wireless cycle computers any good? I've heard comments about them
misreading distance and speed - have later models overcome this? Is this
what 'excellent noise immunity' means? What sort of accuracy can I expect
from them?

We have four on our bikes. Of these, one under-records, clearly missing
pulses under some conditions. It's one we fitted very recently and it's
probable we can sort this by adjusting it.

Our two older ones (both Specialized) are six years old and are both still
on their original batteries. They've been great - reliable, easy to use,
no criticisms at all. The two new ones are Cateyes and, as I say, one of
these is not yet working right.

See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.
Old October 12th 03, 08:00 AM

On 11-Oct-2003, "Mark Thompson" wrote:

They're helmets with an integrated rear view mirror. It's not April so I
presume they really do exist.

Look he-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=22 684

There are a couple on ebay.

You glance up at the inside of the peak to see behind.

Tom
replace deadspam with btinternet to reply
Tom Anderson
Leighton Buzzard
England
Old October 12th 03, 08:57 AM
RG

?
They're helmets with an integrated rear view mirror. It's not April so I
presume they really do exist.

Yes they do, and I have tried one (briefly) - you glance upwards and get a
sort of "head up display" a bit like a fighter aircraft ! They would only
seem to work when riding in an upright posture, say like riding a hybrid.

IMHO the concept is interesting but does not really work that well - YES you
get an indication of what is behind you but not sufficent to avoid the
glance over the shoulder before any changes of direction.

My own decision was to get a better quality helmet for less money and a
Cateye bar end mirror.

RG

Old October 12th 03, 10:29 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Mark Thompson wrote:

Am thinking of getting a helmet but the annoyance factor has stopped me so
far. These may change my mind - has anyone tried 'em?
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...cfm?ID=2561224 ?
They're helmets with an integrated rear view mirror. It's not April so I
presume they really do exist.

Also, are wireless cycle computers any good? I've heard comments about them
misreading distance and speed - have later models overcome this? Is this
what 'excellent noise immunity' means? What sort of accuracy can I expect
from them?

The Sigma one works very well, but has a ball bearing that rattles
around to tell the computer you're moving (presumably the receiver
switches itself off if you're not, in order to save batteries). This
makes you think your bike is falling apart :-(

Batteries last a long time BUT when you come to replace them there are 3
x LR44 and 1 x CR2032. I'd have the wired version if I bought another.
In fact, I may get the wired mount for mine, just for a quiet life.
Originally I wanted cordless because I already had a load of dynamo
wiring on the fork, but I don't think this interferes at all.

Old October 12th 03, 10:30 AM
Richie1964

My VDO wireless computer works fine EXCEPT often records a rogue max
speed

Old October 12th 03, 11:02 AM
Mark Thompson

Is your preference for wire mainly because of the ball bearing thingy or the
vast amount of batteries?

Old October 12th 03, 03:05 PM
Simon Brooke

Zog The Undeniable writes:

Mark Thompson wrote:

Am thinking of getting a helmet but the annoyance factor has stopped me so
far. These may change my mind - has anyone tried 'em?
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...cfm?ID=2561224 ?
They're helmets with an integrated rear view mirror. It's not April so I
presume they really do exist.
Also, are wireless cycle computers any good? I've heard comments
about them

misreading distance and speed - have later models overcome this? Is this
what 'excellent noise immunity' means? What sort of accuracy can I expect
from them?

The Sigma one works very well, but has a ball bearing that rattles
around to tell the computer you're moving (presumably the receiver
switches itself off if you're not, in order to save batteries). This
makes you think your bike is falling apart :-(

Neither our Specializeds nor our Cateyes make any significant
noise. You can hust hear the Cateyes 'click' if you put your ear close
to the fork and spin the wheel. Our Specializeds - Juliette's hill
bike and my road bike - are both six years old, have never missed a
beat, and are still on their original batteries. Brilliant equipment I
cannot fault. The Cateye on my new hillbike has been flawless so
far. The Cateye on Juliette's road bike has occasionally
under-recorded. I've adjusted it this morning to see if that will
remedy the problem.

There's no way I'd switch to wired ones - there's too many wires and
cables on a bike as it is.

See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.
Old October 12th 03, 06:16 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Mark Thompson wrote:
Is your preference for wire mainly because of the ball bearing thingy or the
vast amount of batteries?

Both - plus the cordless mount is very big and ugly. In fact, I've just
ordered wired mounts (the computer is the same and will go on either).

Obviously, my comments only apply to Sigma.

Old October 12th 03, 06:30 PM
Mark Thompson

I've adjusted it this morning to see if that will
remedy the problem.

What does this involve? Just twiddling the pickup dooberry?

There's no way I'd switch to wired ones - there's too many wires and
cables on a bike as it is.

Amen.