Double hit& run on a cyclist

Old February 29th 04, 02:13 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default Double hit& run on a cyclist

According to local news here in Norfolk, seems on Saturday evening, on the
outskirts of Shipdham (A1075) a cyslist was struck from behind by a car and as
he lay injured, was struck again by another vehicle. Neither driver stopped :-(

What I find horrific about this is that neither driver stopped. Hit and runs
seem to be on the increase :-(

The cyclist is described as being in a stable condition in hospital.

One can only but hope that the drivers concerned are caught, have their goolies
(or female equivalent) chopped off, then are put up against a wall and shot.
Hit & runs are unforgivable.

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old February 29th 04, 02:52 PM
The Rifleman

The cyclist is described as being in a stable condition in hospital.

One can only but hope that the drivers concerned are caught, have their

goolies
(or female equivalent) chopped off, then are put up against a wall and

shot.
Hit & runs are unforgivable.

Cheers, helen s I,m not attacking cyclists but as a contrast the bobbies

are looking for three cyclists in full cycling attire who knocked down an
elderly couple who were crossing a pelican crossing, round here since we
became a university town and have boat loads of cycling students the amount
of hit and runs on pedestrians plus damage to cars has gone up a fair bit.

Old February 29th 04, 04:33 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I,m not attacking cyclists but as a contrast the bobbies
are looking for three cyclists in full cycling attire who knocked down an
elderly couple who were crossing a pelican crossing, round here since we
became a university town and have boat loads of cycling students the amount
of hit and runs on pedestrians plus damage to cars has gone up a fair bit.

I hope they catch them too.

It is still the case though, that motorists cause by far the most significant
proportion of death & injuries on the road. That's not excusing any cyclist in
the situation you describe - it's merely fact on who/what is the major cause of
the problem

Old February 29th 04, 05:42 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Beware the deviation amplification spiral that leads to moral panics(1).
More reporting of an issue doesn't mean it's more common.

Indeed, there is that to consider. But as there seems to be more reporting of
it, and the sentencing handed out to motorists who kill or injure is pretty
p**s poor and of little deterrent value, I have my doubts if it's a case of
panic on the part of all the drivers who are scared of the heavy sentence they
are likely to get if caught, so panic and run off. Possibly it's more along the
lines of thinking "who cares"

1) Guess who's doing a social studies OU course?

You.

Old February 29th 04, 05:48 PM
The Rifleman

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
I,m not attacking cyclists but as a contrast the bobbies
are looking for three cyclists in full cycling attire who knocked down an
elderly couple who were crossing a pelican crossing, round here since we
became a university town and have boat loads of cycling students the

amount
of hit and runs on pedestrians plus damage to cars has gone up a fair

bit.

I hope they catch them too.

It is still the case though, that motorists cause by far the most

significant
proportion of death & injuries on the road. That's not excusing any

cyclist in
the situation you describe - it's merely fact on who/what is the major

cause of
the problem

Cheers, helen s

Absolutely in agreement with you on that, dunno why they cant spend the
money they make off speed cameras and spend it on cycle paths.

Old February 29th 04, 05:57 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Absolutely in agreement with you on that, dunno why they cant spend the
money they make off speed cameras and spend it on cycle paths.

God I hope they don't! I wish they'd spend it on more driver education and
general PR to start impressing on more motorists that it isn't acceptable to
moan about being caught speeding and it isn't acceptable to think that driving
a car means you can ignore other road users and be a totally selfish twit!

Old February 29th 04, 06:34 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:23:43 -0000, marc marccdimspamremovedimspamto
wrote:

Beware the deviation amplification spiral

Why ? "deviation amplification spiral" was their best album
Old March 1st 04, 12:59 AM
Howard

Beware the deviation amplification spiral that leads to moral panics(1).
More reporting of an issue doesn't mean it's more common.

Hit and run offences, especially where the victim is a cyclist, have
always been endemic. There is nothing new about drivers ignoring
cyclists lying injured in the middle of the road either. One middle
aged lady contacted me about I campaign I was/am running to get a
level crossing improved. She came off on some dangerously out of level
rails and was more upset by the fact that motorists drove around her,
many blowing their horns at her, then the injuries she received...

Nationally, the current level of 'hit and runs' is around 14% and
rising - up almost 4%in the last year. In some areas such as
Manchester and Liverpool the 'hit an run' rate is now approaching
50%...

Look at http;//motorcarnage.org.uk/motorcarnage/current.html

and count how mnay times 'hit and run' drink driving, drugs use,
driving whilst disqualified and 'excessive speed' come up. Also look
how many pedestrians are killed by hit and run drivers - it's
important to keep a sense of perspective as to where the real problems
lie.

What we need is blanket coverage of the country with speed cameras,
using the revenue raised to pay for traffic officers. No whining - the
current cameras were brought in largely because the motor lobby called
for them on the basis you if you missed a high visibility camera you
were probabaly driving without due attention and deserved a fine. They
seem to have conveniently forgotten about that now though...
(No whining either about siteing cameras around corners. You are
supposed to be able to STOP in the distance you can see to be clear
for gawds sake...).