OT Interesting video

Old January 17th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Default OT Interesting video

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

At least it was a diesel truck, the real future of internal combustion
engines....

and source of our current nasty pollution.
Old January 17th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Ken C. M.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Doc O'Leary wrote:
In article ,
"Ken C. M." wrote:

Okay well it's not totally OT but sort of. I found this little video
clip on google.
http://video.google.com/url?vidurl=h...Fvideopl ay%3
Fdocid%3D3741362681682291899%26q%3Dbicycle%26hl%3D en&docid=3741362681682291899
&ev=v&esrc=sr17&usg=AL29H21arWQFi78thYakNzAJ5xLlT7 uf-w

Shows the reason not to leave your carbon fiber ride laying around in
someones driveway.

To me, it shows that bad science in marketing drives away customers.
After watching that, I have no interest in ever buying a Litespeed
product.

--

Ahhh geeezzz, another broad paintbrush on a teeny little unscientific
demonstration. "no interest in EVER buying a Litespeed product', C'mon,

That little video clip did not affect my view of carbon fiber at all. Or
any brand at all. I am not going to be running my carbon bike over with
an oversized SUV. Stupid attempt to get people to move to Ti.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
Old January 17th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Ken C. M. wrote:

Okay I think I mangled the link try this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...e&pr=g oog-sl

"Titanium is slippery"?

The truck tire didn't "test" the Ti tube the same as the other two. The
ledge in the badly broken-up driveway took the truck's weight, allowed
the tire to push the rolling tube along the driveway, and the roll-over
weight looks like it was partly borne by the Alu tube.

"Enhancements"? Like forming ("partially crushing") the tube? Good
idea. Let's try this over again with a tube that doesn't roll or skid,
and stands alone to bear the weight of the noisy-riding mud tire on
that stinky oversize penis-mobile that ol' Dufus there drives solo to
work and 3/4 mile back and forth from the beer store.

Ti: diamond-hard miracle metal that never breaks when used to make
bicycle frames. Right?

Time for more coffee and less grouchy. Beg pardon.

Just for curiosity, is this a known framebuilder or employee of same?
--D-y

Old January 17th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Wayne Pein

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

At least it was a diesel truck, the real future of internal combustion
engines....

Maybe, if they make them smaller and cleaner. Using biodiesel is good.
But how about this concept:
http://www.starrotor.com/Engine.htm

Wayne

Old January 18th 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary

In article ,
"Ken C. M." wrote:

That little video clip did not affect my view of carbon fiber at all. Or
any brand at all. I am not going to be running my carbon bike over with
an oversized SUV. Stupid attempt to get people to move to Ti.

Exactly. If you're going to show a dramatic failure, do it for stresses
that a bicycle actually faces and not some bogus "an SUV will crush you"
video. It didn't affect my view of the materials at all, but the
presentation definitely gives me a low opinion of Litespeed.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org
Old January 18th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Wayne Pein wrote:

But how about this concept:
http://www.starrotor.com/Engine.htm

After gazing at hundreds of "miracle engine" articles over the years,
I've decided to ignore any reports that don't include tests of working
models. The only one of those hundreds of designs that gained any
traction was the Wankel, and it didn't set the world on fire.

That page is way too full of phrases like "...is projected to have...",
"...should be...," "...is expected to be..."

- Frank Krygowski

Old January 18th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
. com,
wrote:

Wayne Pein wrote:

But how about this concept:
http://www.starrotor.com/Engine.htm

After gazing at hundreds of "miracle engine" articles over the years,
I've decided to ignore any reports that don't include tests of working
models. The only one of those hundreds of designs that gained any
traction was the Wankel, and it didn't set the world on fire.

That page is way too full of phrases like "...is projected to have...",
"...should be...," "...is expected to be..."

Can you can tell me why gas turbine engines are not
practical? They have run well in races.

--
Michael Press
Old January 18th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Ken C. M.

Michael Press wrote:
In article
. com,
wrote:

Wayne Pein wrote:
But how about this concept:
http://www.starrotor.com/Engine.htm
After gazing at hundreds of "miracle engine" articles over the years,
I've decided to ignore any reports that don't include tests of working
models. The only one of those hundreds of designs that gained any
traction was the Wankel, and it didn't set the world on fire.

That page is way too full of phrases like "...is projected to have...",
"...should be...," "...is expected to be..."

Can you can tell me why gas turbine engines are not
practical? They have run well in races.

Ask Chrysler they tried to get one to work in a prototype back in 70s
and it went nowhere fast.

Ken
Old January 18th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Westphal

http://tinyurl.com/2ek5sb

Shows the reason not to leave your carbon fiber ride laying around in
someones driveway.

Oh, what sort of eggs would a carbon fiber bicycle lay, or maybe you
were possibly considering what effect leaving a bicycle lying in a
driveway would have. That's nucular!

Jobst Brandt

The Soviets used Titanium to create the deepest diving
(nucular-powered) military submarines ever, more than doubling std
crush depths. So if you use a slightly bigger truck in the video that
titanium tube is history, judging how easily the other tubes went.
Also, I suspect you run over a whole bike and although the some of the
tubes themselves may be left intact, all the joints would be a
shambles, not to mention components. I.e. the damage would be equally
catastrophic. Anyway, I learned about leaving thebike behind the car
at the 7-11 when I was 9.

BTW, a lot of people laugh at 43 about his pronunciation of the word
"nuclear", and I did too (quietly) when I joined the nuclear navy and
noticed some highly educated people doing the same, until I figured
out that's the legitimate pronunciation on the east coast, or at least
in parts of it.... never thought I'd be defending him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_class_submarine

Bill Westphal
Old January 18th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Wayne Pein

Ken C. M. wrote:

Ask Chrysler they tried to get one to work in a prototype back in 70s
and it went nowhere fast.

The same fabulously competent Chrysler that had to be bailed out of
bankruptcy by the US gov't?

Wayne