M o S Article

Old December 23rd 08, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Default M o S Article

burtthebike wrote:
I've just googled Gethin Jones, and he appears to be an ex-presenter of
Blue Peter and a contestant in Strictly Come Dancing. Ideally qualified
to comment on cycling and safety.

Blue Peter has organised at least one cycling event, for which helmets
were compulsory. Probably BBC policy.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old December 23rd 08, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
js

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:18:13 -0800, "burtthebike"
wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
.. .
burtthebike wrote:

wrote in message
Excellent cycling article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/health...hin-Jones.html

--
Simon Mason

Not a bad article, but completely let down by "And never go out without a
helmet."

It's unbelievable in this day and age, with all the available reliable
evidence demonstrating irrefutably that helmets have no effect on the
death rate of cyclists, they only depress the numbers of cyclists. And
me.

Is the "death rate of cyclists" (whatever it may be) the only important
statistic, then?

No, but as the only reliable indicator of effectiveness, it is certainly the
most important. It's also the measure by which helmet proponents wish to be
used, as they all claim that helmets prevent death.

Are you really doing an MSc?

I do despair - I would have though that to do so you ought to have had
a reasonable education to date and a reasonable IQ - whereas you
obviously have neither.

So you say that - All helmet proponents claim that helmets prevent
death.

Do you really believe that?

I do like your posts though - it shows that someone like Braggins is
not actually as daft as he appears when others are considered.

judith

--

Many of the facts below in an article seem, on the face of it, to
suggest that helmets are not worthwhile. This could not be further
Old December 23rd 08, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
js

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:20:12 -0800, "burtthebike"
wrote:

wrote in message
Excellent cycling article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/health...hin-Jones.html

and the website isn't taking comments. It says it does, but they don't
appear.

Perhaps there is a "****wit filter"

judith

Old December 24th 08, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_2_]

"burtthebike" wrote in message

wrote in message
Excellent cycling article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/health...hin-Jones.html

I've just googled Gethin Jones, and he appears to be an ex-presenter of
Blue Peter and a contestant in Strictly Come Dancing. Ideally qualified
to comment on cycling and safety.

So that makes him qualified in powdering his nose, filling out his expense
form, fleecing the vulnerable on telephone scams, and he once attended a
"political correctness workshop".

Old December 24th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jan

burtthebike wrote:
wrote in message
Excellent cycling article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/health...hin-Jones.html

I've just googled Gethin Jones, and he appears to be an ex-presenter
of Blue Peter and a contestant in Strictly Come Dancing. Ideally
qualified to comment on cycling and safety.

Within in the main article, when talking of exercise benefits etc. Gethin
Jones writes "explains Chris"....and I doubt whether he or Chris Hoy wrote
the safety boxes or recommended the bikes!!

Jan

Old December 24th 08, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

wrote in message
Excellent cycling article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/health...hin-Jones.html

I've just googled Gethin Jones, and he appears to be an ex-presenter of
Blue Peter and a contestant in Strictly Come Dancing. Ideally qualified
to comment on cycling and safety.

So that makes him qualified in powdering his nose, filling out his expense
form, fleecing the vulnerable on telephone scams, and he once attended a
"political correctness workshop".

Yebbut, I parsed his name as Gethin Butler, and thought, yes, more
than qualified to comment on cycling.

(Gethin Butler, Lands End - John O'Groats 1 Day 20 hrs 4min 19 sec. On
a bike)

--
Tim

Article Andre Racing 4 January 22nd 07 02:19 AM
Article in The Age Resound Australia 10 August 27th 05 11:52 PM
have you seen this article? [email protected] General 22 August 5th 04 01:23 AM
The SI article... Scott Hendricks Racing 3 August 4th 04 12:47 AM
FHM UK article... one wheeled stallion Unicycling 9 March 13th 04 09:07 PM