Cambridge cyclists crying over the idea of paying to park

Old March 8th 12, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Cambridge cyclists crying over the idea of paying to park

They grizzle because the facilities are not available, then scream with
outrage at the idea they may have to pay to use them !!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...k-08032012.htm

Old March 8th 12, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Scottish Transport Minister to host meeting on cycle safety laterthis month

QUOTE:

Scotland’s Transport Minister, Keith Brown, will meet with road safety
campaigners within the next fortnight to discuss the safety of
cyclists and discuss what measures can be implemented to help protect
riders on the country’s roads. The news follows the death of a cyclist
in Edinburgh earlier this week, the second such fatality this year.
Meanwhile, cycle campaigners are organising a mass ride in Edinburgh
at the end of April to call for action.

Cyclist Bryan Simons, aged 40, died after being struck by a taxi on
Monday morning on Corstorphine Road, one of the main commuter routes
into the city. In January, 43-year-old cyclist Andrew McNicoll died on
another major route into the city centre, Lanark Road, again during
morning rush hour.

“My thoughts are with the families and friends of those whose lives
have been lost in Edinburgh in recent months,” said Mr Brown in a
statement announcing that the next meeting of the Road Safety
Operational Partnership Group on March 21 would focus on cycling.
Representatives of cycling and road safety organisations will be
present at that meeting.

“For my part, I will continue to work to make sure that tragedies like
these become a thing of the past,” Mr Brown continued.

"The rates of serious injuries and fatalities on our roads continue to
fall but concern remains about vulnerable road users such as cyclists
and we are looking closely at this issue.
"Cycling is a healthy, green, cost-effective way to travel and it is
vital that we ensure those choosing to do so are protected," he added.

While the issues raised by The Times newspaper’s Cities Fit For
Cycling campaign apply across the UK and have moved up the political
agenda at Westminster, devolution means that road safety north of the
border are the responsibility of the Scottish Government.

The Scottish Government aims to reduce the number of road traffic
fatalities in the country by 30 per cent by 2015, and by 40 per cent
by 2020.However, politicians and campaigners say that action is
urgently needed to help ensure the safety of cyclists.

Ian Aitken, Chief Executive of Cycling Scotland, told The Herald:
"Better infrastructure to protect cyclists at junctions and more
segregated and on road cycle lanes are certainly what prospective
cyclists say they want to see more of."

John Lauder from Sustrans Scotland added: "I don't think we need roads
in city boundaries that are 40mph."

Reacting to the death of Mr Simons, Green MSP Alison Johnstone told
STV: "It’s all very well having off-road lanes but the reality is
often you need to share road space with other users.

“We need to take more action to look at segregated pathways or shared
pathways when it’s appropriate and introduce substantial training for
everyone. I think that would be a huge step in the right direction."

Ian Maxwell of Lothian cycle campaigners Spokes said that lessons
could be drawn from the Continent. "In places like Amsterdam and
Copenhagen there is space set aside for cyclists on all main routes so
it’s easy to get from A to B by bike,” he explained.

"The cyclists know where to go, the motorists know where you are and
they have built up a cycling culture over many decades."

City of Edinburgh Council insist that they are doing as much as is
possible to improve road safety in the city, including putting almost
£750,000 aside for the cycling budget.

Transport Convener Councillor Gordon Mackenzie said: "We have got
safety lenses for HGV drivers to cover the blind spot, we are
improving the lanes and the white boxes to try and make it clear where
cyclists can go and drivers should keep away. We’ve got training for
cyclists and targeted training for professional drivers where we can."

Meanwhile, cycle campaigners in Scotland are planing a mass ride
similar to flash rides held in London in recent months. The ride,
billed as ‘Pedal On Parliament,’ is very much in the planning stage at
the moment, but will be followed by a picnic.

It is due to take place on Saturday 28 April, the same day as the
London Cycling Campaign holds The Big Ride in support of its Love
London, Go Dutch initiative.

The idea originated in a post by blogger Dave Brennan, who is now
organising it together with campaigners including members of Spokes,
Glasgow-based Go-Ride, and the Cycling Embassy of Great Britain. A
website, Facebook page and manifesto will be launched next week and in
the meantime you can find more information about the proposed ride on
Brennan's blog.

http://road.cc/content/news/54224-sc...ty-later-month

--
Simon Mason
Old March 8th 12, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilO

On Mar 8, 1:59*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
They grizzle because the facilities are not available, then scream with
outrage at the idea they may have to pay to use them !!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...ageous-charges...

The link says:

"a spokeswoman told the News yesterday that there were “no current
plans to charge for cycling parking” here"

So, not really worth flagging up, was it?
Old March 8th 12, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

What a bunch of ****s.

Old March 8th 12, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Mar 8, 2:05*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
Meanwhile, cycle campaigners in Scotland are planing a mass ride
similar to flash rides held in London in recent months. The ride,
billed as ‘Pedal On Parliament,’ is very much in the planning stage at
the moment, but will be followed by a picnic.

Sounds much more civilised than the London flashrides.
Maybe Doug could take a trip up there?

--
Simon Mason
Old March 8th 12, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NorthWalesYorkie[_2_]

On Mar 8, 1:59*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
They grizzle because the facilities are not available, then scream with
outrage at the idea they may have to pay to use them !!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...ageous-charges...

Whereas motorists are always delighted at having to pay to park.
Old March 8th 12, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

PhilO wrote:
On Mar 8, 1:59 pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
They grizzle because the facilities are not available, then scream
with outrage at the idea they may have to pay to use them !!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...ageous-charges...

The link says:

"a spokeswoman told the News yesterday that there were “no current
plans to charge for cycling parking” here"

So, not really worth flagging up, was it?

Note the word 'MAY' have to pay to park, they are grizzling before anyone
has even suggested they pay!
a quote from the article:
'Shaun Noble, of St Matthew’s Gardens, Petersfield, said introducing any
charges would be “outrageous”.
Mr Noble, who rides to the station three or four times a week, said: “It’s
greedy developers hitting eco-friendly travellers"

Old March 9th 12, 04:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

[...]

Reducing the speed of urban traffic to a blanket 20mph would work
wonders of course.
It has had a dramatic reducing effect on the casualty rate in nearby
Kingston upon Hull which has 135 such zones - the most in the UK.

--
Simon Mason

Police crackdown on danger cyclists in Cambridge Mr Benn[_5_] UK 22 March 4th 12 07:46 PM
Cambridge Cycling Campaign supports clampdown on cyclists withiut lights Mr Benn[_4_] UK 2 December 16th 11 08:59 PM
Cyclists threaten the public with injuries from their bikes in Cambridge Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 16 December 2nd 10 09:00 AM
Cambridge cyclists! Eatmorepies UK 27 January 22nd 05 04:45 PM
Olympic crying continues. Callistus Valerius Racing 13 August 17th 04 09:09 PM