Enforcement actions issued to cyclists in London drops by nearly 50per cent

Old August 16th 20, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Enforcement actions issued to cyclists in London drops by nearly 50per cent

Police are tackling the REAL dangers on the roads at last!
QUOTE:
Cyclists who break the rules of the road are being given an easy ride after figures revealed there was a 43.8 per cent drop in the number of enforcement actions being issued in London in the first six months of this year.

The latest statistics show that enforcement in the capital for offences such as cycling through a red light, riding without lights at night and cycling on the pavement, dramatically fell.

In total, 1,825 cyclists faced enforcement action by the police in the first six months of this year, down from 6,500 throughout the entirety of last year, in figures seen by The Times.

Meanwhile, 54,419 motorists were caught by police between January and June 2020, compared with 91,870 in 2019.

In recent months, the Government has urged commuters to take up cycling, as has it attempted to encourage people back into shops and workplaces all the while trying to avoid overcrowding on public transport.

In May, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps announced a £2bn package to create a new era for cycling and walking.

As part of the package, the Government announced the creation of pop-up bike lanes with protected space for cycling, wider pavements, and cycle and bus-only corridors. Vouchers for cycle repairs were also promised to encourage the members of the public to return to their old bikes.

Commenting on the latest figures, Detective Superintendent Andy Cox - head of Vision Zero, a programme to eliminate deaths and serious injuries on London’s transport system by 2041 - argued that the police have tried to prioritise the most dangerous road users.

He said: “I’ve been really, really super-clear to our staff that our priority is to target the most risky issues and people, and that is about protecting the cyclist not targeting the cyclist.” (WELL DONE - SM)

According to Mr Cox, the figures are not the consequence of police taking a lenient approach to cyclists but instead reflect a more targeted, smarter approach to policing.

“I have told the team, ‘Your job is to target the highest risk,” he added. “My task frankly is to reduce road death and serious injuries and life-changing injuries, and we’re doing so. And I don’t want to go after enforcement which produces lots of fines and results and so on, but actually isn’t where it’s most needed.”

This sentiment is supported by cycle campaigners who argue that cyclist safety has often been an afterthought in infrastructure and road planning.

Joshua Harris, director of campaigns at Brake, the road safety charity, said: “People walking and cycling have been the poor cousins of our roads for far too long, shorn of investment and protections which instead have been used to prop up the domination of dangerous and polluting motor vehicles.

“A change is coming now, and for the better, with more money for roads designed for people, not motor traffic, and with plans for the most dangerous forms of transport to bear the greatest responsibility to reduce risk. It is absolutely right that this hierarchical approach to road safety is echoed in enforcement— there is simply no argument against the police focusing their finite resources on targeting the greatest dangers on our roads.”
ENDS
((((APPLAUSE))))

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...nearly-50-per/
Old August 17th 20, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 16/08/2020 19:17, Simon Mason wrote:
Police are tackling the REAL dangers on the roads at last! QUOTE:

“I have told the team, ‘Your job is to target the highest risk,” he
added. “My task frankly is to reduce road death and serious injuries
and life-changing injuries, and we’re doing so. And I don’t want to
go after enforcement which produces lots of fines and results and so
on, but actually isn’t where it’s most needed.”

DS Andy Cox must really be treading on dangerous ground. How often have
we been told that law makers are gods and it is not for mere mortals to
assume that traffic law is about safety?
Old August 17th 20, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 1:47:02 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 16/08/2020 19:17, Simon Mason wrote:
Police are tackling the REAL dangers on the roads at last! QUOTE:

“I have told the team, ‘Your job is to target the highest risk,” he
added. “My task frankly is to reduce road death and serious injuries
and life-changing injuries, and we’re doing so. And I don’t want to
go after enforcement which produces lots of fines and results and so
on, but actually isn’t where it’s most needed.”

DS Andy Cox must really be treading on dangerous ground. How often have
we been told that law makers are gods and it is not for mere mortals to
assume that traffic law is about safety?

They are merely deploying their finite resources tackling law breaking drivers who cause the most deaths and injuries.
Old August 17th 20, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 17/08/2020 14:54, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 1:47:02 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 16/08/2020 19:17, Simon Mason wrote:
Police are tackling the REAL dangers on the roads at last!
QUOTE:

“I have told the team, ‘Your job is to target the highest risk,”
he added. “My task frankly is to reduce road death and serious
injuries and life-changing injuries, and we’re doing so. And I
don’t want to go after enforcement which produces lots of fines
and results and so on, but actually isn’t where it’s most
needed.”

DS Andy Cox must really be treading on dangerous ground. How often
have we been told that law makers are gods and it is not for mere
mortals to assume that traffic law is about safety?

They are merely deploying their finite resources tackling law
breaking drivers who cause the most deaths and injuries.

Quite so. The motive is correct. But there are some amongst us that say
obedience and enforcement of Her Majesty's laws must be applied no
matter the safety concerns.