Bike Safety: "Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!"

Old November 5th 04, 03:58 PM
maxo

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 05:49:07 +0000, Michael wrote:

maxo wrote:

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:18:11 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

"Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]

Ha ha ha

I just re-engineered my front fender spray flap to cope with the fresh
28mm tires. Nothing can stop me now....

I am acquainted with a particular iron bridge which you apparently haven't
met ... yet.

What? I've ridden many Chicago winters and crossed the iron bridges
thousands of times, though in that climate I switch to a 35mm tire.

Wood bridges are worse.

Old November 5th 04, 04:16 PM
Terry Morse

Peter Cole wrote:

Actually, my daughter (11 )has one of those bikes, it's a "Barracuda A2Z",
a fairly entry-level MTB. I guess I missed the sticker, she rode it 20
miles last Saturday in the (45 degree) rain.

She must have been well dressed, hypothermia is not pleasant.
Yesterday's descent was 5 miles long at 7.4%, 43F, with light rain.
Clothing was poly undershirt, long-sleeve jersey, Windstopper
jacket, helmet cover, glove liners, shorts, leg warmers, fleece
booties. At the bottom, I couldn't stop shaking for a couple of
minutes.

On cold and wet days, I wish there were a sag service to take you
from the top of climbs to the bottom. Climbing in the cold is no
problem, it's the descents that are unpleasant and just a little
hazardous.
Old November 5th 04, 06:09 PM
Peter Cole

"Terry Morse" wrote in message
Peter Cole wrote:

Actually, my daughter (11 )has one of those bikes, it's a "Barracuda

A2Z",
a fairly entry-level MTB. I guess I missed the sticker, she rode it 20
miles last Saturday in the (45 degree) rain.

She must have been well dressed, hypothermia is not pleasant.
Yesterday's descent was 5 miles long at 7.4%, 43F, with light rain.
Clothing was poly undershirt, long-sleeve jersey, Windstopper
jacket, helmet cover, glove liners, shorts, leg warmers, fleece
booties. At the bottom, I couldn't stop shaking for a couple of
minutes.

Cold & wet is the hardest to dress for. My daughter was fine, except for
her feet, she was using sneakers and had no fenders (unlike parents)
because she only has 1 bike for on & off road. She & my wife both had
Activent jackets over fleece tops, fleece tights. It takes a lot more than
that to get hypothermia.

On cold and wet days, I wish there were a sag service to take you
from the top of climbs to the bottom. Climbing in the cold is no
problem, it's the descents that are unpleasant and just a little
hazardous.

There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Old November 5th 04, 06:16 PM
Maggie

maxo wrote in message ...
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:18:11 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

"Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]

Ha ha ha

I just re-engineered my front fender spray flap to cope with the fresh
28mm tires. Nothing can stop me now....

"There's a very fine line between a groove and a rut; a fine line
between eccentrics and people who are just plain nuts."
Old November 5th 04, 06:40 PM
the black rose

Roger Zoul wrote:
Never ride on an iron bridge when it's wet outisde!

Actually, that's good advice. We have an old iron bridge in
my county that's extremely dangerous to bicycles when wet.
Not all that safe for a car, for that matter. =:-O

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old November 5th 04, 06:47 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Lawyers. "Can't live with 'em and you just can't shoot 'em!"

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old November 5th 04, 07:11 PM
Dennis Ferguson

Terry Morse wrote:
On cold and wet days, I wish there were a sag service to take you
from the top of climbs to the bottom. Climbing in the cold is no
problem, it's the descents that are unpleasant and just a little
hazardous.

I'll say, or at least it seems that way to me. My racing bicycle seems
rock-solid stable to me at downhill speeds all summer, but tends to shimmy
after bumps when I'm feeling uncomfortable in the winter. I've ended up
moving many of my regular rides to the afternoon when it's warmer, I've
gotten shy about the rain and I'll sometimes avoid climbing the local hills
just because of the marine layer clouds peeking over the top.

When I lived on the east coast I didn't mind cold or wet nearly as
much as I've come to now, so these may be symptoms of having lived in
California long enough for my blood to thin, or something...

Dennis Ferguson
Old November 5th 04, 07:42 PM
justen

Frank Krygowski wrote:
look. Seemed to be "A2F" with the "2" as a superscript (as in
"squared"), model seemed to be "Barracuda." New to me.

Then I saw the sticker on the top tube:
"Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]

That's a mountain bike. Barracuda tended to be
marketed towards the "hardcore, rad, badboy skater dudes." I think
the warning is trying to say, "Avoid wet trails," in a hip way.
I thought Barracuda stopped making mountain bikes ~2000, but I
could be mistaken, or the name/image may have been resurrected by
some marketing pukes.

justen

Old November 5th 04, 09:48 PM
Frank Krygowski

justen wrote:

I think
the warning is trying to say, "Avoid wet trails," in a hip way.

As if that makes any more sense?

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

Old November 5th 04, 10:14 PM
justen

Frank Krygowski wrote:
justen wrote:
I think
the warning is trying to say, "Avoid wet trails," in a hip way.

As if that makes any more sense?

You need to get off your paved retro couch once in a while.

International Mountain Bike Association, Rules of the Trail,
Number 2, Leave No Trace:

"Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Recognize different types
of soils and trail construction; practice low-impact cycling. Wet
and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage. When the trailbed is
soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on
existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks.
Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in."

Barracuda is trying to encourage its riders to be responsible
trail users. As if a large percentage of mountain bikes,
or SUVs, ever see dirt.

justen