Near Miss of the Day 484: Must Get In Front bus driver cuts upcyclist at pinch point

Old October 20th 20, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 484: Must Get In Front bus driver cuts upcyclist at pinch point

QUOTE:
We've all come across drivers who simply 'Must Get In Front' of anyone riding a bike - and often, they happen to be driving a bus, which is bad enough, but when you add in a pinch point just where the overtake happens, it can be a frightening moment for the cyclist as they get squeezed between the kerb and the passing vehicle, and that's what we have today in our latest Near Miss of the Day video.

This one was sent in by road.cc reader Anthony, with the incident happening as he rode into Derby last month.

"I had both front and rear lights flashing but it was a light evening, so I was visible," he told us.

"Riding into Derby on the A514 in September I was at a particularly rubbish bit of road where a cycle lane ends and the road then eventually narrows creating a pinch point. I have ridden his pieces of road a lot and am always aware of the road narrowing.

"On this occasion an Arriva bus driver decided that he would use the opportunity to get ahead of me as he was desperate to join the queue of traffic ahead.

"Had I not been very alert and sensed the bus coming alongside me and ultimately taking all of the road ahead of me I would have been under his wheels, or if he had swerved, he may have hit the bus coming the other way.

"I was so incensed I caught up and asked the driver what he was doing, he seemed to suggest I should have given way to him, despite me being in front of him on the road.

"Complaints to Arriva have got nowhere with replies only coming after multiple emails. I offered them the footage and they have ignored my offer and I received a standard 'we have spoken to the driver' response, despite them not having all the information available.

"I can’t prove it, but doubt anything has been done or anyone has been spoken to. If they took it seriously, they would ask for the footage or want more information.

"The fact the driver seemed to think he was in the right and did nothing wrong is even more worrying," he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...-driver-278105
Old October 21st 20, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 20/10/2020 18:02, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

I can’t prove it
ENDQUOTE

Enough said.
Old October 21st 20, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 6:02:49 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

"Complaints to Arriva have got nowhere with replies only coming after multiple emails.

My footage ended up on prime time BBC TV!

Near Miss of the Day 462: Maserati driver zooms past cyclist in "blink-and-you’ll-miss-it" close pass Simon Mason[_6_] UK 1 August 27th 20 09:20 AM
Near Miss of the Day 402: Driver cuts straight across cyclist Simon Mason[_6_] UK 6 May 3rd 20 02:17 PM
Dramatic moment driver cuts up another car at roundabout beforesmashing through shop window missing pedestrians by metres Bod[_5_] UK 8 June 4th 17 06:55 PM
A pinch point in action Simon Mason UK 7 October 6th 11 06:53 PM
Reporting near miss to police - any point? Frank Jones UK 27 June 15th 09 01:35 AM