Cycling obituary

Old October 22nd 20, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Cycling obituary

On Wednesday, 21 October 2020 18:54:34 UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
My bikes were made by a friend who was a custom builder, and I had braze-on top-tube cable guides in 1976-77 made of cut-down, small diameter tube sections. BJ and many others were still using TT cable clamps that snagged your shorts.

-- Jay Beattie.

....or dug into your shoulder (or jacket) when you shouldered the bike to carry it.

Cheers
Old October 22nd 20, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 12:05:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 10:21:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 8:02:28 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 5:39:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/frame-b...oses-for-good/

This is like those stories of golden-age Hollywood actors dying. My first reaction was "I thought they were dead already." Hmmmm.

I could never get myself to buy a bike with a wrap-around stay with the letters "BJ" stamped in it. https://randalputnam.files.wordpress...mer-81-p-2.jpg
(The proto-Nashbar catalog). There are some really nice Jacksons out there, but when I started buying nice steel frames in the early '70s, they were just a little out of step and dated feeling. That was my first impression, and it stuck with me. Odd how we develop these prejudices. I did like the switch to fastback stays.

Bob Jackson and Mercian were the two best handling steel bikes I ever rode. I don't know what problem you had with the seat stays wrapping around the seat tube. The problem was that the good Bob Jackson's made from Reynolds 853 were so hard to find that you couldn't get one except new. Everyone that owned on wouldn't turn loose of them.

Sometimes your stupidity and cluelessness astounds me. Now is one of those times.
"I don't know what problem you had with the seat stays wrapping around the seat tube."
I understand you have no degree but even an uneducated person is usually able to put 2+2 together and figure things out. What are Bob Jackson's initials? What is printed/engraved on the wrap around seatstays of Bob Jackson frames? What other activity (its sexual) uses Bob Jackson's initials? Think about it.

Reynolds 853 was not released until 1995. I suspect Bob Jackson made 99%+ of all the frames it ever made long before 853 came into existence. So saying "the good Bob Jackson's made from Reynolds 853" is just dumb.

I hate to point this out to you but the meaning of BJ is relatively recent. That some mindless twit like you doesn't know that is more than enough to categorize you with your best BJ buddy Krygowski. What kind of **** mind does it take to see Bob Jackson on the downtube and the initials BJ on the seat stays and not be able to put two and two together. Unlike some mindless zombie like you it would NEVER have occurred to me to take Bob Jackson's initials on his bikes to mean anything other than Bob Jackson. Apparently you're another one of those guys that thinks an e-bike is riding a bicycle.
Old October 22nd 20, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 3:54:34 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 3:15:38 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/21/2020 11:02 AM, jbeattie wrote:

here are some really nice Jacksons out there, but when I started buying nice steel frames in the early '70s, they were just a little out of step and dated feeling.

And ya GOTTA keep up with the trends! ;-)

It's not even trends -- its aesthetic preferences. I still prefer a late '70s Bruce Gordon or California Masi to the TIG welded steel frames of today. Another thing was paint -- in the mid-70s, US builders started using DuPont Imron polyurethane paint that produced a better look and a way more durable finish. Bob Jackson was using enamel or lacquers, and the finish was not that great -- at least on the mass-market stuff I saw in shops. I also liked the fact that the American builders weren't afraid of braze-ons. My bikes were made by a friend who was a custom builder, and I had braze-on top-tube cable guides in 1976-77 made of cut-down, small diameter tube sections.. BJ and many others were still using TT cable clamps that snagged your shorts.

I've been having bikes powder coated. As long as you only want one color finish it is the best possible finish you can have. And its CHEAP. Then you reapply the decals and put a clear coat on it. I suspect at the time when you were riding Masi's or Bruce Gordon's we had an entirely different idea of how a bike should handle. That was I was still putting in 10,000 mile years. We would usually ride either to the Great Western Bicycle Rally or San Diego among other things.
Old October 22nd 20, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Thanks for sharing, Andrew.

I had some dealings with Jackson's. They treated me with old-fashioned courtesy, but their kick was traditional bikes, not innovation.

A guy I met on the road, who was testing a Bob Jackson bike with Hetchins "wavy" chain stays, offered me a ride. It was an easy bike to ride, pretty comfortable considering its miserably narrow high pressure tyres. I had expected that the price of the comfort from (perhaps) the wavy chain stays would be that the bike wouldn't track straight, but it wasn't particularly nervous. I also lifted the whole bike and was amazed at how light it was -- well, actually, since I know from rebuilding old Bentleys that the available steel back then was crap^10, I was amazed that it had survived from not too long after the war into the 21C. I didn't get a change to speed it downhill -- which would have been a good test of its handling capabilities -- it was newly trimmed and repainted for exhibition, so I didn't ask.

RIP.

Andre Jute
The world passes, and continues passing
Old October 22nd 20, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 4:13:24 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

WTF? Hey, I don't want to get into the history of blow-jobs, but BJ meant BJ in 1975 -- and 1965. That was not the reason I didn't get a Bob Jackson, but I did think it was humorous. YMMV. Why are you so angry? And what does this have to do with ebikes?

Instead of getting a Bob Jackson in the '70s, I bought custom frames from my friend Dale Saso -- some of his first. I never owned a California Masi or a Bruce Gordon, but I loved the aesthetic, and one of the last bikes Dale built for me was a beautiful Masi knock off with celeste-ish blue-green sparkly Imron. Great bike -- silver brazed, cast Cinelli BB and crown and IIRC some of the first Henry James cast lugs.

And while you were riding down the block to San Diego, I was riding one of Dale's touring bikes across the US east to west and north to south (different trips), among other places. The last ride I did on my steel touring bike (before it was stolen) was a ride from PDX to SJ with my not-yet wife. Great bike, and I'm sure some tall thief is still enjoying it. It was pea-ish green. Let me know if you see it in Oakland.

I broke my last steel racing frame while in law school and got a quick replacement first-generation Cannondale frame and never bought another steel frame. And now I'm on plastic and aluminum, but there are steel frames that make me long for the good old days -- at least for a while. They do make me long for threaded bottom brackets and mindless cranking on fasteners.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 22nd 20, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 8:05:49 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

What, you think a degree makes you superior? Actually, Russell, from this thread it appears that all your college did for you, besides intensifying the congenital stupidity you inherited, is give you a dirty mind and a mob mentality.:

but even an uneducated person is usually able to put 2+2 together and figure things out. What are Bob Jackson's initials? What is printed/engraved on the wrap around seatstays of Bob Jackson frames? What other activity (its sexual) uses Bob Jackson's initials? Think about it.

Why? No matter how long he thinks about it, and how much he gives you the benefit of the doubt -- and you need the benefit of the doubt, dear Russell, you need a lot of allowances for being so thick -- he's only going to come to the same conclusion I did: you're stupid, you have a dirty mind, and you're so inobservance that you think stupidity and a dirty mind are common traits.

Reynolds 853 was not released until 1995. I suspect Bob Jackson made 99%+ of all the frames it ever made long before 853 came into existence. So saying "the good Bob Jackson's made from Reynolds 853" is just dumb.

So, in 25 years, from a leading British frame maker you'd expect only a handful of frames in the leading British tube maker's tubes? This surely looks like you're the one who "is just dumb", to highlight your sputtering outrage at Tom having an opinion. You sound like the idiot Ron Bales's brother-in-stupidity. Here's a little algorithm for you to remember about the relative size of numbers. If A is a Very Large Number, and B is a Smaller Number but of Unknown Specificity, then, see, a rational consequence for intelligent people, nothing prevents B from also being a Very Large Number in its own right, only not as large as A.

Let me give you a tip. Don't enter into a ****slinging contest with me. The result will be the same as last time and the time befo you'll crawl away on your belly like a kicked cur with your tail between your legs and your self-confidence further damaged. My effects are permanent. If you want to argue, go find out how many bikes Jackson's built altogether and how many were in Reynolds 853. Think you can manage that?

Maybe we'll hear next that Russell was just drunk and reckless instead of being what we normally take him for, an obnoxious lout of little brain.

Andre Jute
Relentless rigour -- Gaius Germanicus Ceasar
Old October 22nd 20, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 6:14:45 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Well, Bob died in 1999 an old man, and 853 was introduced in 1996, so its pretty certain that Bob-the-man never built a frame with 853. Bob, Inc. undoubtedly built a lot of 853 frames -- or at least frames with 853 main triangles, which was an option still available on the old website.

BTW, have you ever kicked a cur? Are you a cur kicker? How many curs could a cur kicker kick if a cur kicker could kick curs? Isn't it time for your pipe and glass of sherry in the library?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 22nd 20, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 5:55:57 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

As a point of order, I was in the military and NEVER heard them called a BJ until the 80's and hardly ever then since I was by then a member of polite society. I had both Masi's and Bruce Gordon's and I found neither of them good riding bikes - OK, but nothing to write home about. I still have pictures of a Masi Gran Corsa so I had to have had that one in the last 8 years or so. One of the nicer American bikes was Schwinn Paramount PDG, the high pressure 23 mm tires made the handling somewhat tricky on the gravel roads we used to travel a lot on. Those were made really by what is now Waterford..
Old October 22nd 20, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 8:40:09 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

A rather large man got disturbed with me about something or another and thought that he would use one of those Asian fighting arts on me. That was a bad idea since when I knew I was going off to a war I went to the base self defense instructor who had a black belt in anything and everything. His opinion was that none of it was as good as American boxing. And since I already came from a family of boxers we got along well. In any case, when this moron thought he was going to kick me in the face I caught his foot and pushed him over backwards. He hit his head on the curb and changed his mind about fighting or at least appeared to since his eyes closed. He never came to that sandwich shop again.
Old October 22nd 20, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 4:40:09 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Of course. Repeatedly. Don't all civilised people kick bullying scum like Seaton/Eaton/Whatever and Krygowski wherever they find them? What's your problem, Beattie?

Are you a cur kicker? How many curs could a cur kicker kick if a cur kicker could kick curs? Isn't it time for your pipe and glass of sherry in the library?

Have you suddenly fallen in love with a new word? I know about half a million. Come into my library and I'll give you some for free while I sell you an only slightly pre-love bridge over the Takoma Narrows.

-- Jay Beattie

Are you the real, urbane Jay Beattie who didn't usually make a fool of himself in public? If a justified fear that Biden will lose the election turns you marshmallow, what nuttiness can we expect from you when the worst happens and Biden wins -- and we blame you for making that zero-morality legal thug Kamala Harris president?

Andre Jute
Cur-kicker

a cyclist's obituary AMuzi Techniques 2 March 26th 17 04:10 PM
Obituary - Barry Mason Tom Crispin[_4_] UK 49 July 6th 11 07:42 PM
Obituary of a Sport: The Horrible Lingering Death of Cycling rms[_2_] General 6 May 17th 07 08:03 AM
OT - Obituary EuanB Australia 5 November 22nd 05 12:51 AM
OT - Obituary cfsmtb Australia 0 November 21st 05 11:40 PM