headset loose?

Old December 14th 05, 09:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default headset loose?

I am new to cycling, just got an over 15 years road bike from a friend.
When I brake, the headset rocks and gives out a light "crank" sound.

The same happens when the brake is held tight while the bike is
stationary and I push on the handle bar. However, when the bike is
lifted off ground and I grab the handle bar to push and pull on the
front post, it doesn't seem to be loose, the headset rotates freely but
doesn't seem to have too much play.

Is the headset loose or what could be the problem? And how should I go
about correcting it?

Thanks for any help.
Old December 14th 05, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Zonta" wrote ...
I am new to cycling, just got an over 15 years road bike from a friend.
When I brake, the headset rocks and gives out a light "crank" sound.

The same happens when the brake is held tight while the bike is
stationary and I push on the handle bar. However, when the bike is
lifted off ground and I grab the handle bar to push and pull on the
front post, it doesn't seem to be loose, the headset rotates freely but
doesn't seem to have too much play.

Is the headset loose or what could be the problem? And how should I go
about correcting it?

Thanks for any help.

The headset is loose, the play is apparent when you lock the front brake and
rock the handlebar, but not when you pick the bike up off the ground.

A 15 year old bike will quite likely have an old style threaded headset, the
bearings are adjusted by a pair of nuts stacked on top of each other where
the handlebar stem goes into the steerer tube, at the top of the bike
frame's head tube. Usually each of these nuts requires a fairly thin 32 mm
wrench (known, oddly enough, as "headset wrenches") . Sometimes the lower of
the two nuts is knurled instead of having wrench flats. Loosen the top nut,
tighten the lower nut until the headset rotates freely but w/o any play, and
retighten the top nut while holding the lower nut to keep it from tightening
down any further.

If the bike hasn't been maintained in a while you may wish to tear down the
headset, clean and repack the bearings with grease, and reassemble. If the
bike has been ridden a lot but not maintained, it's possible that the
headset bearing races wil be pitted, in which case you will need to install
a new headset. This is usually a job for a bike shop.

HTH,
--
mark

Old December 14th 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:25:01 -0800, Zonta
wrote:

Is the headset loose or what could be the problem? And how should I go
about correcting it?

There is play in the headset bearing. The bike probably uses one of
the older threaded headsets; these are easily adjusted.

Tips he

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=127

For a bike of this age, if it appears to either have had a lot of use
or to have been left out in the rain a lot, I'd dismantle, clean and
inspect the headset before trying to adjust it. There's a possibility
that the bearings, cups or races may be corroded or pitted. While it
may be possible that they can still be used for a while if lubricated,
a worn or pitted headset should be replaced. I've seen some pretty
abysmal ones soldier on for long periods (being flat broke will make
people do that), but having it right when you're done is the better
plan by far.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 14th 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thank you Mark and Werehatrack, the bike was found in the corner of the
garrage when my friend bought his house 15 years ago and been there
since until he gave it to me this summer, I'll take your advice to take
it apart and see if it can be repacked and put back into use, but if
not, with a bike of this age, is it worthwhile to bring it to a bike
shop to have it repaired? I am thinking that the cost might not justify
it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old December 14th 05, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2005-12-14, Zonta wrote:

I am new to cycling, just got an over 15 years road bike from a friend.
When I brake, the headset rocks and gives out a light "crank" sound.

The same happens when the brake is held tight while the bike is
stationary and I push on the handle bar. However, when the bike is
lifted off ground and I grab the handle bar to push and pull on the
front post, it doesn't seem to be loose, the headset rotates freely but
doesn't seem to have too much play.

Is the headset loose or what could be the problem? And how should I go
about correcting it?

It could just be loose. What happens if you tighten it up a little? If
as you turn the bars it's loose in one spot and binds in another, that
would suggest that the cups are misaligned -- take it to a bike shop to
have the head tube milled and cups reseated. If after tightening you get
an "indexed steering" effect, that would suggest fretting damage to the
races, probably just the lower (fork crown race). A bike shop can check
for this and replace as needed.

--

-John )
Old December 14th 05, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Zonta wrote:
Thank you Mark and Werehatrack, the bike was found in the corner of the
garrage when my friend bought his house 15 years ago and been there
since until he gave it to me this summer, I'll take your advice to take
it apart and see if it can be repacked and put back into use, but if
not, with a bike of this age, is it worthwhile to bring it to a bike
shop to have it repaired? I am thinking that the cost might not justify
it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Without knowing more about the bike, it is impossible to say. But you
can't put a dollar sign on everything...The real question is whether it
fits you, whether it is generally in a good state of repair, and
whether you enjoy riding it. If so, then I'd say go ahead and get if
fixed.

SYJ

Old December 14th 05, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:01:20 -0800, Zonta
wrote:

Thank you Mark and Werehatrack, the bike was found in the corner of the
garrage when my friend bought his house 15 years ago and been there
since until he gave it to me this summer, I'll take your advice to take
it apart and see if it can be repacked and put back into use, but if
not, with a bike of this age, is it worthwhile to bring it to a bike
shop to have it repaired? I am thinking that the cost might not justify
it. Any thoughts?

If it's a cheap bike, like a Murray, Huffy, Roadmaster, Free Spirit
(which was the Sears house brand) or other low-value unit, then it may
not be worth having a pro shop do the job[1]...but in that case,
there's no good reason why you shouldn't tackle the job yourself.
OTOH, from what you describe, it's probably going to be OK with just a
little grease and a proper adjustment. There's a good chance it was
sloppy from day one; that may be why it was sitting there all that
time.

What kind of bike is it, anyway?

[1] The value of the bike in terms of resale return or replacement
cost could be lower than the cost of replacing the headset at some
shops, but you'll have to call them and ask what they'd charge before
you can really make a decision on this. A typical 1" threaded headset
can be had for under $20 at many bike shops, and putting it in is not
rocket science.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 15th 05, 10:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article .com,
StaceyJ wrote:

Without knowing more about the bike, it is impossible to say. But you
can't put a dollar sign on everything...The real question is whether it
fits you, whether it is generally in a good state of repair, and
whether you enjoy riding it. If so, then I'd say go ahead and get if
fixed.

Hi StaceyJ,

I don't think it really fits me as it has a really tall top tube that
does not allow me to rest both my heels on the ground at the same time,
but after having the bike, took me a month to learn to ride, and I love
it since, now I am riding on it at least once every two days, not
commuting, just riding for the fun. Problem is, now I have already
learned to use the drop handle bars, it is not something easily
affordable for me to get a new bike, those bikes with drop handle bars
all have a big price tag on them! So I am going to stick to this bike,
maintain it to the best I can, and have maximum fun out of it.
Old December 15th 05, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article , Werehatrack
wrote:

[...]

Hi Werehatrack,

I do think it is a cheap bike, there is a label on the bike which says
"Deelite" and "Vancouver", I believe it is local from Vancouver Canada,
no idea about the "Deelite" part though.

Anyway, I am still reading the instructions from Parktool site that
you've referred me to, I am going to work on the bike once I believe I
have understand fully what it says, and then I'll find out, but if what
you've said is true that I can get a headset for under $20, then I have
no worry!

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.
Old December 15th 05, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article , John Thompson
wrote:

It could just be loose. What happens if you tighten it up a little? If
as you turn the bars it's loose in one spot and binds in another, that
would suggest that the cups are misaligned -- take it to a bike shop to
have the head tube milled and cups reseated. If after tightening you get
an "indexed steering" effect, that would suggest fretting damage to the
races, probably just the lower (fork crown race). A bike shop can check
for this and replace as needed.

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip, I've tried your trick accordingly, it seems that it
is loose all way round, so perhaps it is really only loose, and this is
a relief.

Thanks.