exercises for back

Old December 15th 03, 03:06 PM
Matthew

Default exercises for back

wrote in message
news.com...
can anyone recommend any resources for exercises to strengthen the back to
prevent low back pain? Thanks.

Haven't seen you post in rec.bicycles.misc but I will not cross-post to so
extensive a group as you did, so I hope you see this.

The classic strength training exercises for low back are stiff-legged
deadlifts or good mornings. I'm not sure if they will prevent low-back pain
however.

I don't have the aptitude to properly describe good form for these exercises
but any physical therapist or even the "moron" certified athletic trainers
you could find at any gym could do so. And I'm sure there is a website
someplace with good pictures, videos, or descriptions of these exercises.

Old December 15th 03, 06:14 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:06:05 -0700, "Matthew"
wrote:

I don't have the aptitude to properly describe good form for these exercises
but any physical therapist or even the "moron" certified athletic trainers
you could find at any gym could do so. And I'm sure there is a website
someplace with good pictures, videos, or descriptions of these exercises.

You can also try sitting on a Swiss ball instead of a chair some of
the time. Or even keeping your back warm with a neoprene back-warmer
while riding ;-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old December 15th 03, 08:41 PM
psycholist

"Wayne S. Hill" wrote in message
David Kerber wrote:

strengthing the abdominals is generally considered to be
important in preventing chronic lower back pain.

Perhaps this is considered generally, but it is incorrect.

I think this general notion applies to people who have beer guts overhanging
their belts in front. That puts major stress on the back. Getting rid of
the beer gut gets rid of back pain. Not sure it applies to the
flat-bellied.

Bob C.

Old December 15th 03, 08:44 PM
psycholist

wrote in message
news.com...
can anyone recommend any resources for exercises to strengthen the back to
prevent low back pain? Thanks.

One of my daily exercises is one called the Superman. You lie face down on
the floor, extend your arms and feet as far away from each other as you can,
comfortably. Then you raise them towards the ceiling -- arching your back.
You keep your knees and elbows straight. You should feel it all the way up
and down your back. This one came from some cycling coach. I don't
remember who.

FWIW,
Bob C.

Old December 15th 03, 08:46 PM
Paul Southworth

David Kerber wrote:

strengthing the abdominals is generally considered to be
important in preventing chronic lower back pain.

Perhaps this is considered generally, but it is incorrect.

I think this general notion applies to people who have beer guts overhanging
their belts in front. That puts major stress on the back. Getting rid of
the beer gut gets rid of back pain. Not sure it applies to the
flat-bellied.

Riding a bike will get rid of a beer gut a lot faster than
daily ab exercises will.

--Paul
Old December 15th 03, 08:55 PM
Sorni

"Paul Southworth" wrote in message

Riding a bike will get rid of a beer gut a lot faster than
daily ab exercises will.

Yes and no. It *will* help with weight-loss, of course, but doesn't do much
to strengthen abs at all. (Mt. biking does a bit more than road, but not a
lot.)

Bill "ever notice how your belly is cold during/after riding? Blood busy
elsewhere" S.