Rain Gear - Recommendation Request ???!!!

Old March 26th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Dogfighting

Default Rain Gear - Recommendation Request ???!!!

Hello,

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
and 120 kilometres.

What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

If you could provide an Internet URL to the rain gear you are
recommending, I would appreciate it. I am probably going to buy the
rain gear this weekend or next.

Thank you in advance.

Old March 27th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message , Dogfighting
') wrote:

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
and 120 kilometres.

What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

Actually, seriously, if you're cycling reasonably fast, you don't need rain
gear (I'm in Scotland, it rains here a lot). Yes, you get wet, but if
you're using energy your body will keep warm, and provided you get dry
quickly and into dry clothes (ideally by way of a hot shower) at the end
of the trip you'll take no harm. I no longer carry my waterproofs with me
when cycling. What I do carry it a Campag windproof jacket made of very
fine nylon. It weights 110 grammes and packs into a pouch about half the
size of a bidon. Worn in rain over your normal cycling jersey it works
much like a wetsuit - it doesn't stop you getting wet but it does stop you
getting cold.

If you're cycling distances you want to keep the gear you carry as minimal
and as light as possible.

If you could provide an Internet URL to the rain gear you are
recommending, I would appreciate it. I am probably going to buy the
rain gear this weekend or next.

http://www.campagnolo.com/apparel.ph...cid=17&pid=412

The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
;; of me, by a 'friend'

Old March 27th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung

Simon Brooke wrote:
Dogfighting wrote:

spring, summer and fall

Actually, seriously, if you're cycling reasonably fast, you don't
need rain gear

Depends. Maybe you can get by with this in summer, but depending on the
temperature in early spring or late fall I stick a cheapie waterproof jacket
in my pocket.

Old March 27th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Bill Westphal

Dogfighting writes:

Hello,

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my
cycling club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle
between 80 and 120 kilometres.

What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

If you could provide an Internet URL to the rain gear you are
recommending, I would appreciate it. I am probably going to buy the
rain gear this weekend or next.

Thank you in advance.

Showers Pass Elite 2.0 eVent rain jacket is amazing. I stay
completely dry and comfortable in the pouring rain, like the 40 miles
in it last Saturday. Wade at Boure is a great source. His other
cycling clothes are the best too:

http://www.boure.com/8554.html

Showers Pass website is stuck on 2005, so it doesn't include their
2007 Elite 2.0. There are some of last years "Elite" models floating
around slightly discounted, but they're pretty much gone because it's
a great product. Showers Pass website is stuck on 2005, which doesn't
include the 2007 Elite 2.0, but it does have the 2005 Elite, which
carried forward to 2006:

http://www.showerspass.com/

The "eVent" website (maker of the breathable fabric used by Showers
Pass) is updated to include info on the Elite 2:

http://www.eventfabrics.com/event_ge...owers-pass.php

Get the detachable separate hood while you're at it.

Staying dry in the pouring rain requires Lake winter cycling shoes,
gotten cheaply from lickbike.com, although they're pretty warm 55F.
I don't know any other way to keep my feet completely dry, and wet
feet really ruin it for me:

http://www.lakecycling.com/category.aspx?categoryID=36

and Foxwear rain pants from the one-man operation Lou, in Salmon ID,
although these are pretty warm too over 55F, even in the thinnest
fabric:

http://foxwear.net/products_pants.html

Bill Westphal
Old March 27th 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:10:31 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

in message , Dogfighting
') wrote:

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
and 120 kilometres.

What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

Actually, seriously, if you're cycling reasonably fast, you don't need rain
gear (I'm in Scotland, it rains here a lot). Yes, you get wet, but if
you're using energy your body will keep warm, and provided you get dry
quickly and into dry clothes (ideally by way of a hot shower) at the end
of the trip you'll take no harm.

I don't agree with this. Not sure of the temperatures, but if it's,
say 50F and raining consistently, at anything less than racing
intensity, I'd be far more comfortable in something of waterproof
material. The jacket you mention is the sort of thing I'd take if it
might rain a little, or was 65F and raining.

Ottawa is cold.
--
JT
****************************
Old March 27th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 03:38:46 -0600, Bill Westphal
wrote:

Showers Pass Elite 2.0 eVent rain jacket is amazing. I stay
completely dry and comfortable in the pouring rain, like the 40 miles
in it last Saturday. Wade at Boure is a great source. His other
cycling clothes are the best too:

http://www.boure.com/8554.htm

I have something similar from another maker that I use if it's raining
steadily when I go out, and it's cool.

But the thing I have doesn't crumple well into a back pocket, so when
it's going to be raining fairly hard, but on and off, I tend to use a
cheap plastic rain jacket.

And if it's warm, like above 60 or 60F and not raining hard, I use a
wind/water resistant shell.

--
JT
****************************
Old March 27th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Latondresse

Dogfighting wrote in news:46082172$0$16298$88260bb3
@free.teranews.com:

Hello,

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
and 120 kilometres.

What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

Just go in and see what MEC has...they have the best raingear I have ever
seen and I use it. I live in Vancouver, nuff said.
Old March 27th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Matt O'Toole

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:46:12 +0000, Mike Latondresse wrote:

Just go in and see what MEC has...they have the best raingear I have
ever seen and I use it. I live in Vancouver, nuff said.

I'll second that. I buy a lot of outdoor clothing in Canada every summer,
because the selection is so much better than in the US. The MEC in
Victoria is like a candy store.

MEC has a cycling section that's as good as a whole Performance store in
the US.

REI could learn a lot from MEC.

Matt O.
Old March 27th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Dogfighting wrote:

Hello,

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
and 120 kilometres.

What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

If you could provide an Internet URL to the rain gear you are
recommending, I would appreciate it. I am probably going to buy the
rain gear this weekend or next.

Thank you in advance.

I am suprised nobody in rbr suggested this already, but you should search
google groups for Frankie Andreu's recommendation on rain gear from a few
years back.

--
Bill Asher
Old March 27th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Tim McNamara

Shower Pass's Elite jacket is very good IME. I've never tried their
rain pants. I have read good reviews of Rainlegs, which cover just your
thighs.

Bicycle quality Q and recommendation request Ook Mountain Biking 12 March 11th 07 05:34 PM
rain gear Will General 8 June 27th 06 04:54 PM
Headset vs. Seattle rain: recommendation please [email protected] Techniques 19 January 18th 06 11:05 PM
Rain gear DRS Australia 10 May 9th 04 10:27 PM
Fluoro gear request. Simon Mason UK 3 October 26th 03 04:12 PM