Rain Gear - Recommendation Request ???!!!

Old March 27th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected][_2_]

Default Rain Gear - Recommendation Request ???!!!

I live in Vancouver, nuff said.
i heard you have incurable asian vd in vancouver, is that true?

Old March 28th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected][_2_]

no cotton. nooooooooo cotton.campmor.com sells inexpensive polyester t-
shirts - an absolute necessity and thoro socks in acrylic/nylon/
polester. campmor had a red ledge windbreaker on sale recommended by
backpacker. i bought one for the inside passage- needs shoulder
linings. get the campmor emails. i bought a goretex sombrero for $28.
make your own DIY. costs run 70%-80% less than store bought. the
seattle store sells everything, patterns, gortex - see the gortex
website. I need kayak gear. costs go up to $1500!!. DIY costs are near
$300. anyone can sew. takes patience. there are books on outdoor gear
sewing ask seattle and get one ILL. seattles patterns state how much
goretex needed
a light windbreaker, goretex or poly with holes in it over a poly T,
synthetic socks, with light nylon "warmup" pants and a warmth giving
dry synthetic sweater/duofold synthetic turtleneck or light poly long
underwear (campmor) in the kit plus a nylon balclava should get you
thru. the balclava is ski wear. manzella is very good.
walmart sells painter's plastic tarps at 9x12' for $1.10 a pack:
emergency storm tent. subs or adds to the honorable space blanket.

Old March 28th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

wrote:

[...]

Ok, stay with me and we can get you through this. Breathe. You got a wife
and kids? Good. Tell me about them. We're just going to take this nice
and easy and everything will be just fine.

--
Bill Asher
Old March 28th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected][_2_]

..

Ok, stay with me and we can get you through this.

yeah, i ride 365/10 years commuting. living outside since 1976. world
famous ethologist.

Old March 28th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 27 Mar 2007 20:49:52 GMT, William Asher wrote:

I am suprised nobody in rbr suggested this already, but you should search
google groups for Frankie Andreu's recommendation on rain gear from a few
years back.

Lance won't like that.

--
JT
****************************
Old March 28th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Matt O'Toole

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:49:27 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

Shower Pass's Elite jacket is very good IME. I've never tried their
rain pants. I have read good reviews of Rainlegs, which cover just your
thighs.

A couple of my friends have the Showers Pass jackets, and they're nicer
than anything else I've seen. I almost bought one, but I found a
Patagonia (Lightning model) that's almost as good, for half the price (on
sale).

Compared to mine, the Showers Pass is better because:

*The Patagonia has a hood that fits over the helmet, and is attached all
the time. It gets in the way of looking over one's shoulder, etc.,
whether it's up or down. If a hood is desired at all, it would be better
to fit snugly, under the helmet.

*The Patagonia has a mesh pocket in the rear, which gets wet and dirty
from underneath, from spray from the rear wheel.

*The Showers Pass is longer in the back, giving more protection from spray
from the rear wheel.

If you do buy a Showers Pass, don't get the unlined model. The Goretex
film (or whatever it is) will wear through from the inside. The lined
models are slightly bulkier and more expensive, but worth it.

It's important for rain gear to be easy to carry. The Showers Pass was
specifically designed to roll small enough to fit in a jersey pocket,
which it does (and so does my Patagonia). Some otherwise really nice rain
jackets, like Burleys, are simply too big and bulky for many of us to
bother with -- let alone if you're carrying rain pants too.

I'm with JT on carrying just a regular water-repellent windbreaker for
warmer temps though.

Finally, most beginning cyclists spend way too much on their bikes,
and not enough on their clothing.

Matt O.

Old March 28th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

wrote:
.
Ok, stay with me and we can get you through this.

yeah, i ride 365/10 years commuting. living outside since 1976. world
famous ethologist.

What's an ethologist?
Old March 28th 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

carlfogel wrote:
2) A self-glorified bird-watcher.

Must be a podium bird watcher.

Old March 28th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:30:57 +0200, Kyle Legate

.
Ok, stay with me and we can get you through this.

yeah, i ride 365/10 years commuting. living outside since 1976. world
famous ethologist.

What's an ethologist?

Dear Kyle,

1) A scientist who studies animal behavior, such as Darwin in some
books, or Konrad Lorenz.

2) A self-glorified bird-watcher.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 28th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected][_2_]

the ethologist works in the field, rain, snow, no a/c, bitxing
insects: umvelt shared
for a complete list send sase and $5.
plastic tarp and warmer top and pants in the kit are negelected but
moist satisfying when the 300km brevet thru staten island goes
theramlly wrong. satisfying to be prepared. you know man over
nature...

Bicycle quality Q and recommendation request Ook Mountain Biking 12 March 11th 07 05:34 PM
rain gear Will General 8 June 27th 06 04:54 PM
Headset vs. Seattle rain: recommendation please [email protected] Techniques 19 January 18th 06 11:05 PM
Rain gear DRS Australia 10 May 9th 04 10:27 PM
Fluoro gear request. Simon Mason UK 3 October 26th 03 04:12 PM