The New Code Word

Old September 26th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

Default The New Code Word

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I agree a hundred per cent with this. Maybe we should have programs that
explicitly discourage young athletes from pursuing their dreams.

If their dreams involve dangerous working conditions, poverty,
and massive pressure to take dope, then this is a very rational
approach.

Say, aren't you one of the guys that wrings his hands over
doping pressure on kids?

Be careful what dreams you pursue, you may realize them.

Bob Schwartz
Old September 26th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Sep 26, 10:09*am, Bob Schwartz

I've met Art History majors and none of them were living
in trailers. Almost none of the people that attempt to
make a career out of bike racing actually ever get to a
point where they can live off of the proceeds. Art History
majors do much better in that respect.

dumbass,

yes the analogy is apt. both bike racers like the bros. and gallery
curators are paid to do what is a diversion for their supporter. the
difference is that gallery curators don't live in trailers on the
estate of their millionaire bosses.

Every so often stuff pops up locally about how we could
do better at rider development with an eye towards helping
people target pro careers. And I think to myself, that this
is not something I am going to lose sleep over.

correct.
cycling as personal development -good
as a career for all but the chosen few -lousy
Old September 26th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I agree a hundred per cent with this. Maybe we should have programs that
explicitly discourage young athletes from pursuing their dreams.

If their dreams involve dangerous working conditions, poverty,
and massive pressure to take dope, then this is a very rational
approach.

See, this is the problem with rbr: I wasn't being that sarcastic, and if
my last sentence seems too much of a modest proposal, well, I wasn't
really joking.

Say, aren't you one of the guys that wrings his hands over
doping pressure on kids?

Be careful what dreams you pursue, you may realize them.

Heh. I saw former Symmetrics rider (and former member of my team's
youth-development squad) Naomi Cooper racing on the weekend in Victoria.
She finished seventh. But more importantly, she's at the University of
Victoria. She did the bike race as a lark.

My totally serious theory of cycling development is nearly identical to
Amit's: it's a great pastime, and a ridiculous career.

Old September 26th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Off The Back

Amit Ghosh wrote:
cycling as personal development -good
as a career for all but the chosen few -lousy

Define career. I see nothing wrong with somebody who's past high school (or
college) spending 5-10 years slumming around racing on a national circuit. A
bike-racing gypsy, so to speak. When they finish, they'll still have decades
to do something more normal. The key is they need to be aware enough to know
when it's time to move on.

....and we shouldn't be too judgmental about what it means to "move on". Lots
of ex-racers end up in the bike industry, and there's nothing wrong with
that.

Old September 26th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Sep 26, 12:15*pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I agree a hundred per cent with this. Maybe we should have programs that
explicitly discourage young athletes from pursuing their dreams.

If their dreams involve dangerous working conditions, poverty,
and massive pressure to take dope, then this is a very rational
approach.

Bob Schwartz

Well that pretty much describes the vast majority in most every sport.
The reality is that there are millions who fail for the few who make
it. I don't see that as a reason not to do something you love.
Bill C
Old September 26th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I agree a hundred per cent with this. Maybe we should have programs that
explicitly discourage young athletes from pursuing their dreams.

If their dreams involve dangerous working conditions, poverty,
and massive pressure to take dope, then this is a very rational
approach.

Bob Schwartz

Well that pretty much describes the vast majority in most every sport.
The reality is that there are millions who fail for the few who make
it. I don't see that as a reason not to do something you love.

My point is not that people shouldn't do something
they love. My point is that they shouldn't do
something stupid.

An example is guys like Crit Pro crying like a baby
about getting ripped off at Superweek.

Bob Schwartz
Old September 26th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Scott wrote:
Wasn't Kunich an Art History major?

An obfuscated Art History major.

Old September 26th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Bob Schwartz wrote:
An example is guys like Crit Pro crying like a baby about getting ripped
off at Superweek.

They are part of the entertainment industry. They provide entertainment
for rbr when we troll them with that.

Old September 26th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_3_]

Off The Back wrote:

Amit Ghosh wrote:

cycling as personal development -good
as a career for all but the chosen few -lousy

Define career. I see nothing wrong with somebody who's past high school
(or college) spending 5-10 years slumming around racing on a national
circuit. A bike-racing gypsy, so to speak. When they finish, they'll
still have decades to do something more normal. The key is they need to
be aware enough to know when it's time to move on.

...and we shouldn't be too judgmental about what it means to "move on".
Lots of ex-racers end up in the bike industry, and there's nothing wrong
with that.

Yeah, a lot of ex-pro's end up in the bike industry punching Prentice
Steffan in the face (Martha Jemison).

....Or they end up coaching New York City cyclists and going caveman on
Adam Myerson's lid (Scott "T2000 Terminator" Mercer).

Thanks,

Magilla

http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2...aug4news.shtml
http://www.velonews.com/article/8215...to-altercation
Old September 26th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Sep 26, 9:55*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
*Bob Schwartz wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
[...]

The Bro's are *almost* there, they just need one little tweak- Cindy
McCain-type girlfriends with deep pockets who will buy them more
houses than they can count. Then they'd have the best of both worlds-
successful careers as boy toys, AND a great pastime.
-Paul

=========== And Now a Word from the Ads ============== www.katnet.us Unicycling 0 January 18th 08 07:39 PM
The other H word MartinM UK 15 October 24th 06 03:40 PM
H*lf*rds and the 'H' word Bryan UK 35 September 14th 05 10:59 AM
tdf word of the day purphekt General 9 July 16th 04 10:33 PM
The 'H' word Jo Hardman UK 14 December 19th 03 01:43 PM