finally

Old September 24th 09, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

Default finally

http://www.velonews.com/article/9839...-to-ban-radios
Old September 24th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Sep 24, 6:49*am, Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT
wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/article/9839...-to-ban-radios

Well... just sayin': the UCI cites "wide support" but as the article
linked to reminds, the "teams' objections" during the TdF were such
that the proposed two-day trial was reduced to one day.

IOW, this sounds like a "citizens' complaint" where it turns out the
cops are the citizens who count-- and have radios, too!
Just commenting. --D-y
Old September 24th 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/article/9839...-to-ban-radios

I'm with you. However, it makes me wonder if there will come a time soon
after where information is transmitted to riders on a two line display
like an SRM head unit, like a text massage. I hope not.

Less electronic communications between rider and staff makes for a more
interesting race.
Old September 24th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Joe King[_2_]

What if the UCI ran Formula 1?

"Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT" wrote in
message ...
http://www.velonews.com/article/9839...-to-ban-radios

Old September 24th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

z wrote:
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/article/9839...-to-ban-radios

I'm with you. However, it makes me wonder if there will come a time soon
after where information is transmitted to riders on a two line display
like an SRM head unit, like a text massage. I hope not.

Less electronic communications between rider and staff makes for a more
interesting race.

Communication will still happen, it'll just take a different, more
troublesome, form. This is stupid, and it will change nothing.

You know, it'd be great if pro racing was like some dumbass Cat 4
road race where people slip off the front and no one can tell for
sure that they aren't stragglers from one of the other 15 races
being held on the course that day. But it isn't.

Whenever this comes up I bring up the chalkboard moto. Should we
ditch the chalkboard moto? If lack of information is such a great
thing we certainly should.

Nothing will change. It won't make the racing more interesting. The
UCI is not known for well thought out plans.

Bob Schwartz
Old September 24th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

nmp wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote:

[..]

Whenever this comes up I bring up the chalkboard moto. Should we ditch
the chalkboard moto? If lack of information is such a great thing we
certainly should.

Not lack of information, but lack of strategies ordered from team cars
should make racing more interesting. By letting the riders themselves
(and among themselves) figure out what they should do to win a race.

Almost all directeurs in the team cars nowadays who play riders like
puppets on a string were once riders themselves who had the opportunity
to make their own race. That's how they developed their "racing
intelligence" and tactical skills.

OK, a valid point. But it only applies to the end of the race
when riders can't drop back at will to pick up bottles. And
this doesn't make the case that the racing will be more
interesting.

If Guimard had a radio he could have told Fignon to attack
Lemond at Alpe d'Huez. Radios would have made the race more
interesting. The UCI should require everyone to have a radio.

It would make racing more interesting to forbid multi-gear
rear wheels. Make everyone use single speed flip-flop hubs
with big ass wingnuts instead of quick release skewers. Just
like back in the day.

There are two places I would never go if I were looking for
a well thought out plan. One is rbr and the other is the UCI.

Bob Schwartz
Old September 24th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/article/9839...-to-ban-radios

Bunch of stuffed old farts.
Old September 24th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:10:45 +0200, Susan Walker
wrote:

Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/article/9839...-to-ban-radios

Bunch of stuffed old farts.

As electronics get smaller there will be cheating.

Old September 24th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Joe

wrote:

Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/article/9839...-to-ban-radios

Bunch of stuffed old farts.

As electronics get smaller there will be cheating.

Yup, HUD displays on the insides of sunglasses, teams hacking other teams
radio/video signals which then display competitors heart rates and wattages
on other teams HUD displays etc etc.... i'm sure people more creative than
I can come up with more scenarios.

Old September 24th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Bob Schwartz wrote:
z wrote:
[...]

Dumbass,

Read for comprehension.

I didn't say less information, did I? And nmp expressed my sentiments on
communication from team cars. Also, it doesn't just apply to team cars
before the end of the race because riders aren't/didn't constantly
shuffle back to the caravan for info. The commissaire isn't going to
have some stupid musical chairs rotation of support vehicles moving back
and forth in the caravan. And if it ever came to that, the commissaires
would just leave a larger gap between the back of the peloton and the
caravan to make it difficult to jump back across when the **** was going
down.

Finally! B. Lafferty Racing 1 August 29th 06 09:19 PM
finally lucky_8 Unicycling 1 June 5th 06 05:01 AM
I finally did it! Bill Henry General 20 September 29th 05 01:09 AM
finally!!! my own uni... sentlovrenc Unicycling 29 September 26th 05 06:35 AM
Well, I finally did it Callas UK 3 April 2nd 04 07:30 AM