Another killer motorists mounts pavement..

Old September 28th 09, 06:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Another killer motorists mounts pavement..

They have the barefaced cheek to criticise cyclists on pavements who
very seldom kill, conveniently overlooking the fact that people cycle
on pavements mainly to avoid killer drivers. Some means has to be
found to keep drivers off pavements if further deaths are to be
avoided. Plenty of very heavy, strongly mounted steel bollards might
do the trick plus realistic sentencing for a change.

"A man held over the deaths of two people who died when a car mounted
a pavement has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

A 12-year-old girl was left critically injured in the incident, which
happened in Ashford, Kent, on Sunday.

A woman, 49, was pronounced dead at the scene, in Beaver Road, and a
67-year-old man died later in hospital.

Stefan Stanko, 24, of West Street, Gravesend is in police custody and
is due before magistrates later..."

Mo
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8277900.stm

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old September 28th 09, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

On Sep 28, 6:05*am, Doug wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the post, I might read it later.

PeterG
Old September 28th 09, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 28 Sep, 06:05, Doug wrote:
They have the barefaced cheek to criticise cyclists on pavements who
very seldom kill, conveniently overlooking the fact that people cycle
on pavements mainly to avoid killer drivers. Some means has to be
found to keep drivers off pavements if further deaths are to be
avoided. Plenty of very heavy, strongly mounted steel bollards might
do the trick plus realistic sentencing for a change.

FFS, you senile old turd, not only has this one already been posted in
a separate thread, but you actually responded to the thread to gloat
over the number of these tragic incidents:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....b46aabac1abbea

Old September 28th 09, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P[_3_]

On 28 Sep, 06:05, Doug wrote:
They have the barefaced cheek to criticise cyclists on pavements who
very seldom kill, conveniently overlooking the fact that people cycle
on pavements mainly to avoid killer drivers. Some means has to be
found to keep drivers off pavements if further deaths are to be
avoided. Plenty of very heavy, strongly mounted steel bollards might
do the trick plus realistic sentencing for a change.

1)This was posted yesterday and you even responded to it.
2) I thought you were against railings and bollards.

Mike P
Old September 28th 09, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 01:12:19 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Mike P
wrote this:-

2) I thought you were against railings and bollards.

Two different things. Railings are to keep pedestrians in their
place and ensure cyclists have nowhere to escape if "superior road
users" are killing them.

Bollards, on the other hand are to keep motorists in their place,
which is on the road rather than the pavement.

I don't agree with everything Doug says and he doesn't agree with
everything I say, but on this subject he is spot on. The pathetic
personal attacks some make on Doug tell us something about those who
make them.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Old September 28th 09, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

wrote this:-

2) I thought you were against railings and bollards.

Two different things. Railings are to keep pedestrians in their
place and ensure cyclists have nowhere to escape if "superior road
users" are killing them.

Bollards, on the other hand are to keep motorists in their place,
which is on the road rather than the pavement.

I don't agree with everything Doug says and he doesn't agree with
everything I say, but on this subject he is spot on. The pathetic
personal attacks some make on Doug tell us something about those who
make them.

In Spain, the extensive use of bollards and posts are very effective at
keeping traffic on the road, for the protection of people on the pavements
and to stop illegal parking. Particularly where streets are narrow or in
places where people drive like ****s.

Old September 28th 09, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Doug wrote:
Mo
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8277900.stm

Come *on* Doug, where's your work ethic?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/8278452.stm

BugBear
Old September 28th 09, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

wrote this:-

2) I thought you were against railings and bollards.

Two different things. Railings are to keep pedestrians in their
place and ensure cyclists have nowhere to escape if "superior road
users" are killing them.

Bollards, on the other hand are to keep motorists in their place,
which is on the road rather than the pavement.

I don't agree with everything Doug says and he doesn't agree with
everything I say, but on this subject he is spot on. The pathetic
personal attacks some make on Doug tell us something about those who
make them.

I don't agree with everything you say, but have always had some
respect for you as a result of the sterling work you did (still do?)
for the Railway Development Society/Railfuture, of which I am a
member.

I am however amazed that you give the time of day to Mr Bollen.
Unlike you, he has no desire to improve things. On the contrary,
given that he is motivated purely out of spite and envy, he desires
only to prevent others from doing what he used to, but can longer, do.
Old September 28th 09, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Doug wrote:
They have the barefaced cheek to criticise cyclists on pavements who
very seldom kill, conveniently overlooking the fact that people cycle
on pavements mainly to avoid killer drivers. Some means has to be
found to keep drivers off pavements if further deaths are to be
avoided. Plenty of very heavy, strongly mounted steel bollards might
do the trick plus realistic sentencing for a change.

I suggest plenty of strong steel fencing along the kerb, but am surprised
that you advocate such things. After all, a couple of weeks ago you were
complaining about them.