Please abuse me (I like a klein)

Old June 4th 04, 10:40 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default Please abuse me (I like a klein)

I test rode some bikes today. I went to a store believing that they
carried Konas and Yetis, but it turned out they dropped those lines
since last year. They carry Trek, Klein, Fisher, and Cannondale.

I didn't bother to ride the Trek since that's what got busted -- I know
how it rides. For the record, I like the ride and the fit of my Fuel
90, and I never had mech troubles (less than a year old, though). It
had a duke fork that I was already thinking of replacing, not because it
was giving me trouble but because I suspect I could do a lot better.

The Fisher Cake small was rubbing my crotch, and I really didn't want a
bike quite that friendly, so I nixed that one. The women's versions
were respectively way too small and way too large.

The Canondale Jekyll 800 with a lefty was ... okay. Nothing really
impressed me about it, except that it did seem to fit me well in the
cockpit. It felt clunky, somehow.

Which brings me to the one I *did* like ... the Klein Palomino 5.

http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountai...o_v/index.html

It was very light -- extremely easy to pick the front up while riding
around. Light compared to what I'm used to, anyway. XT rear,
everything else LX. They actually had a road front der (shimano 105)
and I don't quite understand that ... it has a Fox float 100R as a fork.
One interesting thing about this is that I can comfortably grip this
bike to put it on the car. Many bikes seem to have "stuff" right where
I need to put my hands. This may seem like a minor thing, but it made
an impression on me. Hayes disc brakes (does hayes vs. shimano
matter?).

There's a 15 that also has disc brakes (shimano instead of hayes) and
has full XT. Also a much nicer Fox fork. So if I were thinking of
upgrading to XT, it would probably be smarter to just buy the 15.
Unless, as the owner pointed out, I didn't like the new combo XT thing,
in which case I could upgrade the 5 with the old XT parts. Getting the
15 would be $600 more, though, and past my "hard" limit of $2500.

I understand that the palomino has been reworked a bit this year to
address some of last year's complaints. I've also been told it climbs
surprisingly well. This bicycle store seems competent (the owner was
the one helping me), gives me a discount through my club, has low
prices, and will discount all rental costs (not just one day) from the
purchase price. So I'm tempted to try it out this weekend and see what
I think on my normal terrain.

I understand that I'd do better with a Maverick frame, but looking
around, I don't think I can afford that. Well, maybe the frame, but not
the rest of the bike.

I'm not done looking, obviously, but I really did like this bike. The
seat tube is angled back a tiny bit compared to my Trek, which I think
gives me just a slightly better cockpit fit. (I tend to bend my wrists,
which is probably a combination of poor form and poor fit.)

Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm open to opinions and I know that most
of you will hate it just because it's Klein. But if you could give me
some data points to back up the hatred, that would be of interest.

--
monique
Old June 4th 04, 11:02 PM
Stephen Baker

Monique says:

snip a bit

The Fisher Cake small was rubbing my crotch, and I really didn't want a
bike quite that friendly, so I nixed that one.

Did you HAVE to say that? Now Sorni's going to get all excited again....

Steve ;-)
Old June 4th 04, 11:05 PM
Per Elmsäter

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
snipped all the interesting stuff
Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm open to opinions and I know that
most of you will hate it just because it's Klein. But if you could
give me some data points to back up the hatred, that would be of
interest.

There ain't nothing like the paint job on a Klein.
--
Perre
2001 Klein Adept Pro. Plumcrazy

Old June 4th 04, 11:31 PM
Zilla

Per Elmsäter wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
snipped all the interesting stuff
Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm open to opinions and I know that
most of you will hate it just because it's Klein. But if you could
give me some data points to back up the hatred, that would be of
interest.

There ain't nothing like the paint job on a Klein.
--
Perre
2001 Klein Adept Pro. Plumcrazy

....which is why I'd hate to own a Klein MTB - I'll be all ****ed if I
scratched it. I got a Klein roadie though (Q Carbon Team) with
an exquisite paint job, and a smooth ride...

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old June 4th 04, 11:54 PM
MattB

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
I test rode some bikes today. I went to a store believing that they
carried Konas and Yetis, but it turned out they dropped those lines
since last year. They carry Trek, Klein, Fisher, and Cannondale.

snip

The Fisher Cake small was rubbing my crotch, and I really didn't want
a bike quite that friendly, so I nixed that one. The women's versions
were respectively way too small and way too large.

Heh. We won't be able to resist that. Especially in combination with your
title.
I bet some people would pay more for that kind of treatment, but being a
newlywed you're probably already taken care of in that department.

[...]

I know a couple of people who ride those. Most like them, and one guy broke
his, but he's probably harder on his bikes than you are (except for getting
them run over - but few bikes can survive that).

I remember the front shifting being a big problem due to the design.
Hopefully that's a thing that's been worked out. One of the people I know
with one is the LBS owner's very petite wife and she really likes hers.

I understand that I'd do better with a Maverick frame, but looking
around, I don't think I can afford that. Well, maybe the frame, but
not the rest of the bike.

I'm not done looking, obviously, but I really did like this bike. The
seat tube is angled back a tiny bit compared to my Trek, which I think
gives me just a slightly better cockpit fit. (I tend to bend my
wrists, which is probably a combination of poor form and poor fit.)

Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm open to opinions and I know that
most of you will hate it just because it's Klein. But if you could
give me some data points to back up the hatred, that would be of
interest.

One reason is they are made (and owned) by Trek. So that's the kiss of death
for some.
It's definitely not a XC race type of bike, but it doesn't sound like that's
what you need (you can still race on a non-race bike, just not as
"seriously").

I'd go for the XT group, but I'm kind of a snob when it comes to that stuff.

Matt

Old June 4th 04, 11:55 PM
Ozman Trad

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountai...o_v/index.html

do da shocks lock out?

Old June 5th 04, 12:34 AM
Gwood

I've got the prior generation Klein (Adept). I had real reservations when I
got it since it felt too light, but I got a screamin deal. Now that's been
through some minor skirmishes, I really like it and my confidence level is
much higher. Climbs great, very nimble and feels much like a hardtail until
it needs to go to work. The paint was already nicked up, so that wasn't an
issue. It was one of the Chehalis made models, which was a nice touch.

I'm not a freerider, but like the singletrack techie riding of north and
central Oregon. After nearly a year of XC riding, it's still working well
for me. Some component work to be done, but that's the Shimano stuff
starting to fail.

My buddy is hot for a Palomino as well. (ere, you know what I mean). I
thought the dramatic slope of the seat tube would make the cockpit too long
for his shorter upper body, but apparently not.

For the money, I think they are (or were, at least) excellent bikes.

Old June 5th 04, 01:27 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
I test rode some bikes today. I went to a store believing that they
carried Konas and Yetis, but it turned out they dropped those lines
since last year. They carry Trek, Klein, Fisher, and Cannondale.

snip

Klein is actually becoming respectable again. I guess Seinfeld had to go
away for a sufficient amount of time. I would go for the all XT and
upgraded Fox fork.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old June 5th 04, 01:31 AM
S o r n i

Zilla wrote:
Per Elmsäter wrote:

There ain't nothing like the paint job on a Klein.
--
Perre
2001 Klein Adept Pro. Plumcrazy

...which is why I'd hate to own a Klein MTB - I'll be all ****ed if I
scratched it. I got a Klein roadie though (Q Carbon Team) with
an exquisite paint job, and a smooth ride...

This one? http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Bikes.jpg (large file warning;
clueless digital here).

Just got back from a 45-miler...WHILE wearing my AM-B headband!

Bill "blasphemer" S.

Old June 5th 04, 01:57 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-04, Stephen Baker penned:
Monique says:

snip a bit

The Fisher Cake small was rubbing my crotch, and I really didn't want
a bike quite that friendly, so I nixed that one.

Did you HAVE to say that? Now Sorni's going to get all excited
again....

Of course I did =)

--
monique

creaky klein socks Mountain Biking 10 May 17th 04 04:53 PM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Mountain Biking 7 January 9th 04 11:18 PM
klein attitude, but fork etc ... higb Mountain Biking 8 July 8th 03 09:16 PM
Klein dealers in Colorado MattB Mountain Biking 2 July 1st 03 02:22 PM