car vs bike commuting on 'the car show'

Old September 10th 07, 10:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Default car vs bike commuting on 'the car show'

gplama wrote:
Anyone tape it??? I missed it... oh.. and don't believe anything you
see on TV (figures, times, etc).

Oh! So what's your *actual* time over that route?

And what would it be if you rode a proper grown-up bike with gears and
such? ;-)

BTH

Old September 10th 07, 11:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_198_]

BT Humble Wrote:

Oh! So what's your *actual* time over that route?

And what would it be if you rode a proper grown-up bike with gears and
such? ;-)

Not sure, I drove 1/2 way into town on the day... 30-32km/h with
that SS gearing.. sky is the limit with gears (and a massive
southerly!)

lama

--
gplama

Old September 11th 07, 08:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rex

It is people like Glen RIdge causing the problem in the first place.

Public transport is cheaper and quicker, yet he still says he wants to drive
the car! Big cause of the traffic problems there!.

And $65000 for a small car like that??????????

When the BA Falcon won the car of the year - wheels stated that it rode and
handled better than a similar sized (and much, much more expensive) Audi.

He complained that he couldnt go fast - then said he would buy the car for
that reason!!!!

WHat a stupid article- Audi must have paid.

"Campag" wrote in message
ups.com...
Flicking through the tv on the weekend i watched a segment of the show
imaginatively titled 'The Car Show'. They were comparing commuting in
Melbourne by car, train and bike. I missed the beginning but assume
they all left the same point at the same time. The guy on the train
arrived at the destination first, followed by the bike rider ten
minutes later. The car came in much later. When they compared the
costs the bike was averaged out at about $1000 a year including
purchase price and muesli bars. The car was averaged out at $70,000+ a
year not including servicing or speeding tickets. No mention of the
other benefits of cycling ie. fitness, less pollution etc. The
presenter summed up by saying he still loved his car and would choose
it over both other methods even though the guy on the train had a
snooze and did the crossword on his commute instead of sitting in
traffic.

Old September 11th 07, 11:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

gplama wrote:
BTHumble Wrote:
Oh! So what's your *actual* time over that route?

And what would it be if you rode a proper grown-up bike with gears and
such? ;-)

Not sure, I drove 1/2 way into town on the day... 30-32km/h with
that SS gearing.. sky is the limit with gears (and a massive
southerly!)

That's about my top (sustainable) speed on flat road aboard Aaargh[1]
when the wind isn't blowing.

To be fair, I'm not much faster aboard my road bike either! ;-)

BTH
[1] http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/

Old September 11th 07, 11:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Rex wrote:
It is people like Glen RIdge causing the problem in the first place.

Public transport is cheaper and quicker, yet he still says he wants to drive
the car! Big cause of the traffic problems there!.

And $65000 for a small car like that??????????

If he didn't say that, do you think that Aldi (err, Audi!) would give
him another expensive car to **** around with for a week?

That's probably also why most of his dialogue about it sounded as
though he was reading an Audi sales brochure.

BTH

Commuting by Bike - Still not Catching On Here stratrider Recumbent Biking 22 August 9th 06 09:21 AM
Commuting by bike Gavin Watkinson UK 20 June 16th 06 03:20 PM
Commuting on a bike when there is no shower Travis Australia 9 March 2nd 06 11:02 AM
A bad bike commuting day dgk General 23 January 27th 05 01:52 AM
Best sort of commuting Bike chriswilcox UK 8 December 27th 03 10:40 PM