Landis' appeal loses credibility

Old December 6th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Default Landis' appeal loses credibility

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/13767.0.html

Maruice Suh representing Vino just gives less credibility to Landis'
appeal. What a bad PR move. I wonder when Landis (and his donors)
will realize his defense wasn't worth even a fraction of $1.5 million.

As for Vino, it shows the UCI is corrupt because they should have known
that national federations will give lenient sentences to its own riders
- especially a national like Kazakstan who has its own national/Pro Tour
team. I'm not sure how allowing national federations to adjudicate
doping cases complies with any of the WADA Protocol that cycling was
forced to comply with under the threat of losing its Olympic sanction
back in 2000.

When you are found guilty, you get 2 years, not 1 year. Thgerefore,
Vino's sentence is an explicit violation of the WADA code.

Can you imagine if a Jim Ochowitz controlled board would have heard the
Landis doping case? Landis would have gotten nothing and Jim Ochowitz
would have cashed in on millions with his new iShares Pro Tour team. He
would have ridden the Floyd gravy train all the way to the Wiesel
investment bank.

Unless the UCI appeals this to CAS, the fight against doping in cycling
is just as corrupt as ever.

Magilla
Old December 6th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 6, 12:22 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/13767.0.html

Maruice Suh representing Vino just gives less credibility to Landis'
appeal. What a bad PR move. I wonder when Landis (and his donors)
will realize his defense wasn't worth even a fraction of $1.5 million.

This sure doesn't help Landis, but I'm sure Suh did not agree to stop
taking other clients. That is Suh's area of expertise, making sure
people accused of doping offenses have good representation. Lawyers
often represent people that everyone "knows" is guilty.

I'm not disagreeing that this looks bad for Floyd, but it will not
look bad to people in charge of Floyd's future, it will only look bad
to the man on the street.
Old December 6th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

--

The people who decide these cases and follow the sport know that Vino is
guilty as hell. HIm and his punk-boy Kashechkin. And when Suh cries

Suh should have kept his nose out of defending known dopers until
Landis's appeal was resolved. As it stands now, he comes across as a
money-hungry attorney who has no sense of righteousness. Landis doesn't
need that kind of attorney representing him.

Landis is gonna lose his appeal bad and in the end he's gonna realize
that all Suh did was steal his daughter's college savings.

I don't know if you guys remember what Landis did during the Morzine
stage, but to go from that worldwide high and winning the Tour, to being
villified and laughed at on YouTube and the butt of jokes on the late
night talk shows, and being fianciually gutted (mostly by your
lawyers)...Landis is well on his way to locking himself in his garage
one day with the engine running.

This ain't gonna end pretty, trust me. Landis has less options in life
right now than Dana Plato.

Magilla

Old December 6th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
mtb Dad

On Dec 6, 2:17 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

Magilla I like your posts and thinking generally, but why suggest
suicide? Jeez, it's just bike racing and people have come back from
worse career disasters to find something else to do. Suicide just
seems a little too ghoulish, especially when the guy is probably
reminded everyday right now of his mistakes and may even be
susceptible. Instead, how about a David Miller option? I'd book him
for my kids school if he wanted to hit the road to talk about ethics,
crossing the line, and consequences. Drunks that kill people do that
all the time.
Old December 6th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 6, 7:22 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the article, I learned that AFP and VeloNews haven't heard
that the plan is to ban all athletes with a doping conviction from
future Olympics.

-ilan
Old December 6th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 7, 12:32 am, wrote:
[...]

Or was that only for 2+ year bans. Who cares....

-ilan
Old December 7th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Landis will not rebound like Englishboy. For one, Millar confessed and
had some salvageable years. Landis cannot confess (assuming he did it).
Landis was stripped at the pinnacle of cycling - winning the Tour de
France - and had what many people considered to be the most incredible
stage win in Tour cycling history completely gutted and wiped off the
books.

For pros who are in contention for the Tour title, winning the Tour
means everything. It means more than you think it does.

All you have to do is look at Andy Hampsten and notice he lives in
Italy. Why? Because he won the Giro and he would never get the same
adulation and hero-worship status in the U.S. as he would from the
Italian people.

Landis is now unemployable in the sport and pretty much anywhere else
unless you're talking about a menial job somewhere pumping gas or
delivering Dominos pizza. Mentally, you can't go from the high of what
he did in Morzine to being mocked in the worldwide press and still
function normally.

Also, he is financially ruined. He didn't lose like $10k or $20k or
$50k. he lost like $15 million, maybe more.

Unless Landis wins his apppeal, this is not gonna end pretty. The
guys's entire identity and financial worth has been gutted by this
doping conviction.

Jeanson did the smart thing by not hiring a lawyer and wasting a million
dollars on a defense she knew wouldn't likely have worked.

Landis had to contest his doping positive because his losses were in the
tens of millions of dollars and his victory was one of worldwide reknown.

Once Landis' ban expires (which won't be until the start of the 2009
season) he will be too old, too out of shape, too out of vogue, and too
out of incentive. Pros rely a lot on on "super-motivation" (and
perhaps some pharm help) to do what they do. Without either, Landis
can't even find it in him to beat a girl in a mountain bike race.

But Landis will never race again if he loses his appeal. Not even with
a U.S. team. No U.S. team would likely touch the guy because he's too
tainted and symbolizes everything that's wrong with the sport.

Landis is regarded as a leper and he won't be able to deal with it after
a couple of years, if it takes even that long.

Magilla

Old December 7th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Landis will not rebound like Englishboy.

Millar's a Scot, you monkey.

That aside, I chanced to see some of the 2006 miracle breakaway on dvd
the other day. I'd forgotten that Landis dropped Sinkiewitz on the
road to positivity.

Old December 7th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Nah....that resolution that Jacques Roggue was talking about for the
Madrid conference only proposed banning athletes with "serious
convictions" (whatever that means) from the NEXT Olympics.

Would such a ban exclude Amber Neben from Beijing? No. David Millar
from Beijing? Yes.

David Millar from London? No.

Magilla