BR61 - Magpie attack

Old August 21st 05, 08:23 AM
hemyd

Default BR61 - Magpie attack

"DJ" wrote in message

"DD" wrote in message
Evan wrote:
DaveB wrote:

Danmed #$$@%$$ magpies. DaveB

Must be an east coast thing. I live in the Perth Hills with lots of
Magpies and never have any problems.

No, I can assure you that once you leave Perth for the southwest the
maggies breed at a different time. Right now if you head south on the
Albany Hwy, once you leave the safety of the jarrah forrest (the other
side of those safe hills that you live on) at North Bannister about 90km
southeast of Perth, thereafter you can be maggied every few km all the
way down to Albany. Thats' the rest of the 450km trip. Ouch. Brings back
memories of sprinting up steep hills on a fully-loaded touring bike
outside of Kojonup just to escape the buggers.

This is a product of clearing the bush, in that the opened up paddocks
suit maggies and also that the only trees suitable for nesting are left
in that thin strip of roadside reserve all the way down the highway. If
roadside verges were 100m wide instead of 5m wide you might have a chance
to sneak past. No such luck.

I came back from Albany on that particular trip where I discovered this
gem of maggie experience via gravel roads cut through the bush and hills,
what maggies I met were less ferocious. There's your hint, if maggies are
hotted up in your area avoid sparsely treed sections of road or wear a
really heavy helmet (every once in a while you may ask yourself "what's
that tapping sound on my helmet?").

Bear in mind also that maggies are protected and you can't do much about
a particular maggie unless your council is prepared to deal with it for
you. Also the main culprit is the male and the understanding is that his
hormones at mating time put him under considerable, fiery stress. How do
you think that you'd behave (badly?) if your gonads felt like they were
burning a hole in your crotch? A comforting thought for after the next
time mr. male maggie swoops you is that it might be hurting him more than
you.

P.S I am talking of the western, not black-backed or white-backed, maggie
of SW WA. But I think these will behave similarly.

I was watching 2 maggies having a go at a kookaburra the other day and it
was unreal. I have a whole new respect for those black & white winged
buggers now after watching them doing wing-overs, stall spins etc trying
to chase away the ever persisting Kooka, it was like the red baron strikes
again...only it was b&w. The conclusion I've come up with is, unless
you're riding your bike dressed up like an astronaut, there isn't any way
you're gunna outsmart them or out run them doesn't matter where they are
from. I've even had mates on motorbikes getting attacked by magpies while
doing 60-70kph only they come from the side and not behind.

DJ

Slightly OT, out in the bush I was watching in amazement magpies doing
aerial warfare (and winning) against two eagles. Many hits were scored.

As I commute to work each day on my bicycle I have noticed a few magpies
giving me dirty looks. I suppose that time of the year approaches - magpies
and hay-fever....

Henry.

Old August 21st 05, 09:29 AM
DD

hemyd wrote:
Slightly OT, out in the bush I was watching in amazement magpies doing
aerial warfare (and winning) against two eagles. Many hits were scored.

As I commute to work each day on my bicycle I have noticed a few magpies
giving me dirty looks. I suppose that time of the year approaches - magpies
and hay-fever....

Henry.

And if you lived further into the bush you'd have to worry about male
emus attacking you at breeding time, let alone maggies.

And if you lived in an outer metro area like I used to, where you had to
contend with semis loaded with sheep or pigs going to the wharves, you
wouldn't worry so much about maggies (Hint: you learnt never to stop
next to one of these trucks at traffic lights, never to be passed
closely by them, never to ride in the centre of the lane in their wake,
never never try to draft behind them. Else: **** happens).

The world is a very unsafe place or just smells that bad at least.
Old August 21st 05, 10:29 AM
1013

Paint eyes on the back of your helmet/neck.

"DaveB" wrote in message
u...
Danmed #$$@%$$ magpies. I made the mistake of doing a short ride and
leaving the group at K Ground. As soon as I did it started raining
(obviously the it-never-rains-on-BR rule only applies if you stay with
the group). Then as I reach Research and start the downhill section,
cold and wet, something smacks into the side of my neck. OUCH!!! By the
time I realised it was a magpie I figured I was safe because I was doing
a decent downhill pace. Swearing loudly to myself stupid, blood mag...
WHACK, the bugger has chased me down the hill and hit me from the other
side in the ear. Funny how you can sprint when magpies are chasing, I
was off like a rocket. Got home to find it had drwan blood on both
sides. Can someone please ride out there and explain to him that it is
still winter.

DaveB

Old August 21st 05, 10:42 AM
Peter Signorini

"1013" wrote:
Paint eyes on the back of your helmet/neck.

This one really deserves to be sent to the Mythbusters team. Some people
swear by it, then I've heard others report being hit by a maggie, while
using a helmet equipped with eyes.

Cheers
Peter

Old August 21st 05, 11:19 AM
DaveB

Peter Signorini wrote:
"1013" wrote:

Paint eyes on the back of your helmet/neck.

This one really deserves to be sent to the Mythbusters team. Some people
swear by it, then I've heard others report being hit by a maggie, while
using a helmet equipped with eyes.

Cheers
Peter

I'm tipping a bird smart enough to peck me about 2 cm's below the helmet
line is going to be able to distinguish painted eyes from the real
thing. besides, if I paint eyes on the back and both sides I'm gonna
strat to look like a dalmation.

DaveB
Old August 21st 05, 12:18 PM
MikeyOz

DaveB Wrote:
Peter Signorini wrote
"1013" wrote

Paint eyes on the back of your helmet/neck

This one really deserves to be sent to the Mythbusters team. Som

peopl
swear by it, then I've heard others report being hit by a maggie

whil
using a helmet equipped with eyes

Cheer
Pete

I'm tipping a bird smart enough to peck me about 2 cm's below th
helme
line is going to be able to distinguish painted eyes from the rea
thing. besides, if I paint eyes on the back and both sides I'm gonn
strat to look like a dalmation

DaveB

so its started already hey, although they are usually a little mor
aggressive out of the city area, its a well known fact, Magpies ar
about as smart as they come, just behind crows I think.... its worth
try.....

sounds like it was an action packed, eventful ride! glad you are al
safe and back home

--
MikeyO

Old August 21st 05, 12:29 PM
Bleve

DaveB wrote:
Danmed #$$@%$$ magpies. I made the mistake of doing a short ride and
leaving the group at K Ground. As soon as I did it started raining
(obviously the it-never-rains-on-BR rule only applies if you stay with
the group). Then as I reach Research and start the downhill section,
cold and wet, something smacks into the side of my neck. OUCH!!! By the
time I realised it was a magpie I figured I was safe because I was doing
a decent downhill pace. Swearing loudly to myself stupid, blood mag...
WHACK, the bugger has chased me down the hill and hit me from the other
side in the ear. Funny how you can sprint when magpies are chasing, I
was off like a rocket. Got home to find it had drwan blood on both
sides. Can someone please ride out there and explain to him that it is
still winter.

I was out riding around Longwarry today and got swooped. First time
for
this season! Bring it on. My helmet not only protects me from
headstrike on the ground, but has a number of beak-prints where it
protected me from aerial attack. Put *that* in your "helmets are
no use" basket, Euan!

Old August 21st 05, 01:41 PM
TimC

On 2005-08-21, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
DaveB Wrote:
I'm tipping a bird smart enough to peck me about 2 cm's below the
helmet
line is going to be able to distinguish painted eyes from the real
thing. besides, if I paint eyes on the back and both sides I'm gonna
strat to look like a dalmation.

DaveB

so its started already hey, although they are usually a little more
aggressive out of the city area, its a well known fact, Magpies are
about as smart as they come, just behind crows I think.... its worth a
try.....

sounds like it was an action packed, eventful ride! glad you are all
safe and back home.

Hey, if you come along again, MikeOz we can send you up front to
protect us from all the birds!

--
TimC
A mouse is a device used to focus xterms.
Old August 21st 05, 10:20 PM
MikeyOz

On 2005-08-21, MikeyOz (aka Bruce
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea
DaveB Wrote
I'm tipping a bird smart enough to peck me about 2 cm's below th
helme
line is going to be able to distinguish painted eyes from the rea
thing. besides, if I paint eyes on the back and both sides I'm gonn
strat to look like a dalmation

Dave

so its started already hey, although they are usually a little mor
aggressive out of the city area, its a well known fact, Magpies ar
about as smart as they come, just behind crows I think.... its wort

try....

sounds like it was an action packed, eventful ride! glad you are al
safe and back home

Hey, if you come along again, MikeOz we can send you up front t
protect us from all the birds

-
Tim
A mouse is a device used to focus xterms.

hey that sounds like a great idea Tim!!!

the dog from the week before probably had a word to the magpies durin
the week.... they are all in cahoots you know

--
MikeyO

Old August 21st 05, 11:20 PM
Ray Peace

DaveB wrote:
Danmed #$$@%$$ magpies. I made the mistake of doing a short ride and
leaving the group at K Ground. As soon as I did it started raining
(obviously the it-never-rains-on-BR rule only applies if you stay with
the group). Then as I reach Research and start the downhill section,
cold and wet, something smacks into the side of my neck. OUCH!!! By the
time I realised it was a magpie I figured I was safe because I was doing
a decent downhill pace. Swearing loudly to myself stupid, blood mag...
WHACK, the bugger has chased me down the hill and hit me from the other
side in the ear. Funny how you can sprint when magpies are chasing, I
was off like a rocket. Got home to find it had drwan blood on both
sides. Can someone please ride out there and explain to him that it is
still winter.

DaveB

Greetings,
So magpie season has started again! I was waiting for that, and will
note the date. The first reported attack was 4 Aug last year over in
Perth, and I was still being bombed on 9 Oct. Is it my imagination, or
are there more of the stupid buggers along some rural roads, and is the
bombing season now longer than the few weeks in September it used to be
20 years ago. Some serious research needed I think. As someone wrote
last year: Wanted - Self guided, rocket propelled magpie ahnnilator. And
the little *******s are a protected species as well, so you can't just
shoot them.
Cheers,
Ray.

ACTION ALERT -- Transportation Enhancements under attack Matt O'Toole General 1 May 17th 05 03:34 AM
I finally beat the Magpie just us Australia 26 December 6th 04 01:16 AM
Jailed for violent attack on cyclist Wallace Shackleton UK 18 September 16th 03 01:43 AM
Magpie! Paul J Australia 23 August 19th 03 05:35 AM
Newbie question: Covering an attack? Stan Cox Racing 2 July 28th 03 08:25 PM