Bne: Lard Arse Ride, Friday 03 Feb

Old February 2nd 06, 11:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Bne: Lard Arse Ride, Friday 03 Feb

Donga wrote:

I rode past Star at 8.15 and no one there. Either you gulped your latte
or went to Peloton?

Donga

We rode clockwise and went to Peloton.

We rode clockwise so we could take Coro Dr bus lane in, but ended up on
the bikeway. Welcome to LurkerDave...

Old February 3rd 06, 12:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Yeah, the bus lane would have been horror-show, with the train strike!

Old February 3rd 06, 12:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Great ride this morning. Both the pace and the company were
wonderful!!!

Nice to meet LurkerDave - I'll never scoff at a folding fixie with
dinner-plate sized wheels again. Holy crap, he got that thing moving!!!

Discovered there's a snap 24hr train strike on when I made it into
work. Lots of crankypuss's around, whining about how long it'll take
them to get home.... Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

Cheers,
Abby

Old February 3rd 06, 12:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Train strike!

Absent Husband wrote in " Bne: Lard Arse Ride, Friday 03 Feb":
snip
Discovered there's a snap 24hr train strike on when I made it into
work. Lots of crankypuss's around, whining about how long it'll take
them to get home.... Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

I was thinking (as I showered)...

If there was a combined bus/train/ferry strike... and everyone who
normally caught buses had to catch taxis or drive in (or ride a bike for
not nearly enough of them...) and then everyone saw how much traffic
there was if EVERYONE drove... do you think people would be capable of
extrapolating and seeing how good the traffic would be if FEWER people
drove, and more people took public transport?

Probably not.

Tam
Old February 3rd 06, 12:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Well you know how the roads are empty during school hols. Aparently
not. The drop is supposedly just on 10 % About 5 % school related
traffic and 5% people on hols. I can;t remember the source for this I
am afraid. But it took just an additional 200 motorcyclists to bring
the eastern freeway to gridlock the other day (motorcyclists pretending
to be cars

So we are that close to gridlock all the time it appears.
So everyone would die of starvation if they all took their cars. And
no I dont think people can see anyfurther than themselfs in many cases
"If all these other people would just get off the road"

Dave

Old February 3rd 06, 01:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:

If there was a combined bus/train/ferry strike... and everyone who
normally caught buses had to catch taxis or drive in (or ride a bike for
not nearly enough of them...) and then everyone saw how much traffic
there was if EVERYONE drove... do you think people would be capable of
extrapolating and seeing how good the traffic would be if FEWER people
drove, and more people took public transport?

Probably not.

Heh. I'd tend to agree.

People would probably think how good the traffic would be for _them_ if
fewer _other_ people drove
Old February 3rd 06, 01:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:36:48 +1000
Tamyka Bell wrote:
not nearly enough of them...) and then everyone saw how much traffic
there was if EVERYONE drove... do you think people would be capable of
extrapolating and seeing how good the traffic would be if FEWER people
drove, and more people took public transport?

Well yes. They'd see that if all the *other* people took public
transport....

Zebee
Old February 5th 06, 03:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

wrote:

Absent Husband wrote in " Bne: Lard Arse Ride, Friday 03 Feb":
snip
Discovered there's a snap 24hr train strike on when I made it into
work. Lots of crankypuss's around, whining about how long it'll take
them to get home.... Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

I was thinking (as I showered)...

If there was a combined bus/train/ferry strike... and everyone who
normally caught buses had to catch taxis or drive in (or ride a bike for
not nearly enough of them...) and then everyone saw how much traffic
there was if EVERYONE drove... do you think people would be capable of
extrapolating and seeing how good the traffic would be if FEWER people
drove, and more people took public transport?

Probably not.

So what you are saying is that traffic is bad, empty roads are good
and it is only people's ignorance of those beleifs that is the cause
of all the world's transport problems. Thus, if you with your superior
wisdom can just make the people (who sit in traffic for a couple of
hours a day presumably because they are all totally clueless morons
and haven't figured out that they are sitting in traffic cause by
people driving!) then all will be fixed and wonderful.

And to accomplish this all you need to do is screw up public transport
completely so that people can't get to work without cars, thus causing
them to all to give up their cars and rush onto public tranport.

Are you aware that Sydney subsidises its rail network to more than 80%
of its cost, and as a result of that and a severe shortage of parking
in CBDs has twice the useage of public transport usage per capita as
Brisbane and Melbourne. Still has lots of traffic though.

dewatf.
Old February 5th 06, 06:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In article ,
dave wrote:

Thats the most incomprehensible misreply to a comment I have read in
months.

Phew. I was worried it was just me.

--
Shane Stanley
Old February 5th 06, 11:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC Wrote:
Um.... how ya going to pay for ammo?

Paulie hid my shottie and told me I'm not allowed to have it back until
I can pay for the bullets myself. If I was in possession of said
shottie, I'm sure I'd have mowed down at least a few people over the
last couple of weeks. Am hoping to have a job soonish (it's frigging
hot sitting on my fat arse all day)...

Adam85, yes it was a suckful job, but so are most jobs when you're a
secretary. Every time some recruitment dude asks me where I see myself
in 10 years, I feel like saying "Having slept my way so far into a
business that I never have to work for them again, yet still get paid",
"On the dole" or something along those lines, however I think they might
get the impression that I have an attitude problem which I totally
don't. I mean I LOVE being a secretary...

Lotte

P.S. I thought unemployment would make me ride my bike more...

--
LotteBum