Bicycle friendly facilities

Old February 8th 06, 11:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Bicycle friendly facilities

FD:
Yeerrss. How did the MelbCityCOuncil vote go for amongst 'other transport things' $120K to investigate a 'SuperBikStation' in Melb???

Jaysus! You could get two officers to Chicago on a junket for $20K. For
$120K, you would want to be at the tender stage!!

Donga

Old February 9th 06, 12:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Euan wrote:

"Bleve" writes:

snip, snip, snip
I reckon banning kids being dropped off at schools would be a better
thing than banning cars from the CBD! (I'm only half tongue-in-cheek
).

Dang, thought you were serious. Sounds like a good plan to me.

When I was little, Mum or Dad would drop bro and me off near school on
rainy days - at a cul-de-sac that was 2/3 of the way there, so we just
had to walk through a walkway, and cross at the ligths. My parents said
there was no way they were going to go past the front of the school,
"with all that traffic!" My parents were pretty cool.
Old February 9th 06, 12:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Wonder how the CoM planning committee meeting vote on the draft
Transport Strategy went last night? We were too busy at Fed Square
(microbrewery tastings, yum!)

The subject of bike friendly facilities, or plans of, should be
discussed here next week:

Connecting Cycling Melbourne
http://tinyurl.com/7p2u7

Or why not (politely) collar a couple of the conference speakers and
ask them?

--
cfsmtb

Old February 9th 06, 01:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Euan wrote:
"Bleve" writes:

When
I was a kid (and we had to wear helmets then too, it was a school rule
that predated the road law .. so wipe that one ..)

You're sure about that one?

I'm sure I had a stackhat and had to wear it, yes. So did everyone
else at my school who rode.

Helmets for children, fair enough. Protect the young, they're learning
etc etc. Suddenly everyone has to wear a helmet. Cycling must be
really dangerous! I'm not letting my child cycle, don't need a helmet
to walk so cycling must be really dangerous if you need a helmet!

Get over it. Car occupants have to wear seatbelts, doesn't stop people
driving.

I reckon banning kids being dropped off at schools would be a better
thing than banning cars from the CBD! (I'm only half tongue-in-cheek
).

Dang, thought you were serious. Sounds like a good plan to me.

It's a great plan!

Old February 9th 06, 02:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve Wrote:
Euan wrote:
Helmets for children, fair enough. Protect the young, they're

learning
etc etc. Suddenly everyone has to wear a helmet. Cycling must be
really dangerous! I'm not letting my child cycle, don't need a

helmet
to walk so cycling must be really dangerous if you need a helmet!

Get over it. Car occupants have to wear seatbelts, doesn't stop
people
driving.
Nothing to get over.

Seatbelts and helmets don't have the same emotional impact. Mandate
helmet use for cars and I wonder how many would stop
driving?

--
EuanB

Old February 9th 06, 03:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle

EuanB wrote:
Bleve Wrote:
Euan wrote:
Helmets for children, fair enough. Protect the young, they're

learning
etc etc. Suddenly everyone has to wear a helmet. Cycling must be
really dangerous! I'm not letting my child cycle, don't need a

helmet
to walk so cycling must be really dangerous if you need a helmet!

Get over it. Car occupants have to wear seatbelts, doesn't stop
people
driving.
Nothing to get over.

Seatbelts and helmets don't have the same emotional impact. Mandate
helmet use for cars and I wonder how many would stop
driving?

Heh. I am not getting into a helmet debate with you

Old February 9th 06, 07:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb writes:

Wonder how the CoM planning committee meeting vote on the draft
Transport Strategy went last night? We were too busy at Fed Square
(microbrewery tastings, yum!)

Yes yes, gloat away. Some of us were on-call. And no, the odd tipple
here and there isn't allowed, danged zero alcohol environment.

grumble grumble mutter mutter
--
Cheers (in to his | ~~ __@
Euan 3rd tinnie) | ~~ _-\,
Old February 10th 06, 03:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Donga wrote:
FD:

Yeerrss. How did the MelbCityCOuncil vote go for amongst 'other transport things' $120K to investigate a 'SuperBikStation' in Melb???

Jaysus! You could get two officers to Chicago on a junket for $20K. For
$120K, you would want to be at the tender stage!!

Add another $20K each for each councillor, at least two, that also feels
that they need to go along.