Are there any bike alarms on the market?

Old May 2nd 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce W.1

Default Are there any bike alarms on the market?

I'm looking for a motion (vibration) detecting alarm system for my
touring bike, preferably with a remote control.

The only alarm I've found is by Ducharme:
http://www.ducharmealarmsystems.com/
but I don't like the way it operates, turning itself on automatically.

Yes I know that people ignore alarm sounds but I wouln't. My ears will
be open when I duck into a small store for food.

My Google searches found many mentions of alarms but they all seem to be
out of business.

Can anyone suggest a place to get a good motion sensing alarm?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 2nd 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

wire a switch tween battery and mechanism

Old May 3rd 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce W.1

wrote:
wire a switch tween battery and mechanism

=====================================

Huh?
Old May 3rd 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 2, 5:00 pm, "Bruce W.1" wrote:
wrote:
wire a switch tween battery and mechanism

=====================================

Huh?

Well, ya gotta admit that he won the race to supply an answer. Like a
link that you could have googled yourself, it's not a helpful answer,
but it's an answer, and it was first.

dkl

Old May 3rd 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Wed, 02 May 2007 22:27:15 +0000, Bruce W.1 wrote:

I'm looking for a motion (vibration) detecting alarm system for my
touring bike, preferably with a remote control.

The only alarm I've found is by Ducharme:
http://www.ducharmealarmsystems.com/
but I don't like the way it operates, turning itself on automatically.

Yes I know that people ignore alarm sounds but I wouln't. My ears will
be open when I duck into a small store for food.

My Google searches found many mentions of alarms but they all seem to be
out of business.

Can anyone suggest a place to get a good motion sensing alarm?

Thanks for your help.

There are some listings on ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/2q65wl

I can't vouch for their effectiveness.

I'm curious why you want an alarm. A thief who trips the alarm could just
ride away from you, couldn't he? I imagine it wouldn't be hard to turn the
alarm off with a good-sized rock.

You might consider a cable lock that trips an alarm when the cable is cut.
At least your bike would be immobilized, though not very securely. I found
this one on google and I believe there are others:

http://www.alarmlocks.com/cycling.htm

Or this one from SJSCycles in Britain:

http://tinyurl.com/vn4uw

(I understand that SJSCycles will ship worldwide at reasonable
shipping.)

In your position, I wouldn't feel secure with anything less than a small
u-lock to immobilize the rear wheel or drive-train (actually, I would
want to lock the bike to something, but maybe that's because my
years in NYC left me permanently paranoid).

If that seems like too much trouble, you could try a lock that is
permanently mounted to the seatstays and that immobilizes the rear wheel
when you turn the key:

http://tinyurl.com/3c6ysa

Those are rare in the U.S., though I have seen them on imported "city" and
"commuter" bikes. You could probably get one through a European MO store.
Old May 3rd 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 02 May 2007 22:03:44 -0500, Gary Young
wrote:

[...]

Dear Gary,

There have been even more impractical anti-theft devices, as this
account of a trip to the Riviera in 1897 reveals:

"My first stopping-place for déjeûner was to be at Pegli, and I was
most anxious to arrive, in order to ascertain how the many appliances
attached to my wheel, to prevent its being stolen, would work. These
devices were a sprocket-lock, which was guaranteed to prevent any
sprocket from revolving; secondly, a hinged-rod which, when it was
unfolded, locked itself automatically as it fell to the ground, making
a firm support for the wheel. This rod could be folded up only after
being unlocked by a key. . . ."

"With a confidence born of my trustfulness in my patent locks, I
nonchalantly snapped in its place my sprocketguard, unfolded my patent
rod-lock, and left my wheel supported by this device. I took two
steps, and then, warned by a slight whirring noise, I turned back
quickly and caught my wheel before it toppled over. . ."

"After pointing out the many improvements in and on my wheel to this
gentleman, he asked permission to try a short ride upon this infant
phenomenon of American ingenuity. I unlocked the sprocket-lock. While
doing this, I noticed he had innocently bent up my (supposedly)
unbendable rod and pushed it back into its place. I didn’t remonstrate
with him; as the rod had so signally and miserably failed to support
the wheel, it was valueless to me."

"Outing" magazine, 1897

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 3rd 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

wrote:

[...]

unbendable rod and pushed it back into its place. I didnÂ’t remonstrate
with him; as the rod had so signally and miserably failed to support
the wheel, it was valueless to me."

"Outing" magazine, 1897

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl,
Have you ever heard of Nietzsche's doctrine of The Eternal Recurrence of
the Same?

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/5185.html

I fear you are living it.

Even so, keep the 19th Century coming. These excerpts are very
entertaining.
Old May 3rd 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Here's the Shimano outboard crank bearings from 1898:

http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/O...outXXXI04w.pdf

The 1898 Cleveland outboard crank bearing has the added advantage of
an internal self-oiling mechanism that the modern Shimano lacks.

("The How of oil" is a scanning error for "the flow of oil", but
should not bother anyone used to reading the First Folio.)

Stuck somewhat awkwardly in the middle of the description of the crank
are two sentences about the new-fangled Cleveland internal handlebar
binder.

(The "Bender" in the caption is a lamentable typo or else a
foreshadowing of my favorite character in Futurama.)

A technical tidbit follows about some weird chain improvement, with
diagrams that probably show the beginnings of perpetual motion. (Or
maybe we use the design today--I can't quite figure it out.)

And here's a nice example of the eternal recurrence of the same:

"On account of insubordination, the Irish Cyclists’ Association, which
is the governing body of the sport of cycling in Ireland, has
suspended its Ulster branch from the rights and privileges enjoyed, at
home and abroad, by the parent organization."

Cheers,

Carl Fogel