Can you make it to the market on a bike?

Old August 3rd 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.planning.urban,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman

Default OK, how about separated bike lanes?

"donquijote1954" WHO? wrote:
On Aug 2, 5:28 am, Tony Raven wrote:
Ace wrote:
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:08:26 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:
Ace wrote:
Alternatively, you could just stop feeding the troll. It's fairly
clear that he's not listening, and I doubt that anyone will seriously
take any notice of him, as he's such an obvious monomaniac.
Its also fairly obvious he won't be around for long before he gets
killed by one of the many thousands of cyclicidal SUV drivers in his
neighbourhood ;-)
That'd be a shame.

Or an exaggeration.

Well, *I* exaggerated. My risk of getting killed by road terrorism is
greater, much greater, than you getting killed by the other type of
terrorism.

I saw a bumper sticker today that here is quite revolutionary: SLOWER
TRAFFIC KEEP TO THE RIGHT... AVOID ROAD RAGE! That must be a communist
attempt at bringing regulation to our roads. We want to zigzag if we
please, and drive our SUVs while on the phone if we want, so we can
remain a free nation!

Rage is part of life in the jungle, and the strong shall survive.
Hallelujah!

People that pass on the right or drive slower than traffic in the left
lane (reverse for Japan and Commonwealth islands) should have their
vehicles crushed in a public spectacle.

Old August 3rd 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.planning.urban,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman

"donquijote1954" WHO? wrote:
On Aug 2, 12:02 am, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:
Pat who? wrote:
...If you don't like it, go talk to the lawmakers.

That is not a practical suggestion for those of us who can not afford to
attend $1000/plate fund-raising dinners.

That's only the price to get in. To get listened to you need at least
100 times that amount.

See http://www.tpj.org/docs/pioneers/pioneers_table.jsp for a list of
those who have collected "bundled" contributions to Bush the Lesser of
$100,000 or more.

Old August 3rd 07, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.planning.urban
Colin McKenzie

Default Can you make it to the market on a bike?

Wayne Pein wrote:
wrote:
I'd prefer not to have bike lanes, I'd much rather have wide curb
lanes without the magical paint stripe.
Paint doesn't actually stop reckless drivers from hitting things, but
it does stop careful drivers from driving to the right when there
isn't a bike present. That means the bike lane doesn't get swept by
passing cars, so it builds up broken glass and radial tire wires.

Bike lanes collect debris? Preposterous!

http://www.humantransport.org/bicycl...ary/Debris.pdf (2.34 MB)

Fig 4 was interesting - you get the debris but at least the potholes
are out of your way.

But on balance I'd still rather do without the cycle lane - especially
with a 15-foot lane overall.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Old August 3rd 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.planning.urban
William

No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as
walking.
Make an informed choice - visitwww.cyclehelmets.org.

Except the fact that your going a lot faster with a lot less
control....

Old August 3rd 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.planning.urban
Peter Clinch

William wrote:
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as
walking.
Make an informed choice - visitwww.cyclehelmets.org.

Except the fact that your going a lot faster with a lot less
control....

However fast and control free you might be, it doesn't alter the fact
that wearing a helmet has a track record of not improving serious head
injury rates in populations that adopt them.

That's what happens. It's what has always happened anywhere we look.
"Not safer" is "not safer". It's not "not safer, except...", it's "not
safer". And that's based on their actual, real world performance, not a
pious hope or a theory.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old August 3rd 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.planning.urban,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
donquijote1954

On Aug 2, 5:50 pm, Wayne Pein wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

Letting bikes loose out on the roads can be dangerous. Better channel
them through bike lanes.

I think letting you loose out of your cell would be dangerous.

Sorry, cell phones are mostly dangerous when driving an SUV.

Old August 3rd 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.planning.urban,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
donquijote1954

On Aug 2, 6:09 pm, Martin Dann wrote:

As I don't live in the USA, I

Maybe that's why you don't understand what's going on here. Slower
vehicles don't have to drive on the right at all, nor should drivers
pay be paying attention to driving, simply you get these SUV behemoths
whistling past you that leave you shaking in your commitment to ride
anymore.

It is my opinion, and that of a great many cyclists that
cycles should be on the main road, not segregated and
pushed onto poor facilities.

Why do they have to be poor?

I'm simply not going to let you people get away with this garbage.
It is completely dishonest.

What is dishonest is promoting second class cycling
facilities as a good idea.-

Are you actually saying that Holland is a very discriminatory country?
They got something like 20,000km of bike lanes and seem pretty
democratic to me. Actually they are much more democratic than those
places where SUVs and rule the roads.

Old August 3rd 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.planning.urban,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
donquijote1954

Default The chihuahua says, "Amigo, I want bike lanes!"

On Aug 2, 6:33 pm, wrote:
On Aug 2, 2:37 pm, (Bill Z.) wrote:

I've been passed while driving by a speeding vehicle that decided to
use a bike lane to get by, even though there was no on-coming traffic
and the road was completely straight. You can always find some idiot
on the road who is competely irresponsible. What else is new? It
simply has nothing to do with bike lanes - they'll do something
incredibly stupid regardless.

You don't seem to realize that the incident you describe argues
against the common pro-bike lane idea - "If only I could be separated
from cars by a white line, I'd be safe."

In the real world, the white stripe does not protect you. It merely
shows where the glass and gravel begin.

Don't be such a pessimist. Our cities don't have to be like Mexico.
And you can have lots of people to go out and try a new sport. The
chihuahua says, "Amigo, I want bike lanes!"

Old August 3rd 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.planning.urban,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Marz

On Aug 3, 10:16 am, donquijote1954
wrote:
On Aug 2, 6:09 pm, Martin Dann wrote:

As I don't live in the USA, I

Maybe that's why you don't understand what's going on here. Slower
vehicles don't have to drive on the right at all, nor should drivers
pay be paying attention to driving, simply you get these SUV behemoths
whistling past you that leave you shaking in your commitment to ride
anymore.

What?? Please explain what you mean by saying,'nor should drivers pay
be paying attention to driving.' Because most drivers (in the US) I
see are paying attention to the road.

I ride most days along side SUV behemoths here in Texas and they've
not put me or any of my friends off riding. Maybe it's how you ride
that's causing you too many close encounters with other road users.

Old August 3rd 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.planning.urban,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
donquijote1954

On Aug 2, 9:38 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:

I saw a bumper sticker today that here is quite revolutionary: SLOWER
TRAFFIC KEEP TO THE RIGHT... AVOID ROAD RAGE! That must be a communist
attempt at bringing regulation to our roads. We want to zigzag if we
please, and drive our SUVs while on the phone if we want, so we can
remain a free nation!

Rage is part of life in the jungle, and the strong shall survive.
Hallelujah!

People that pass on the right or drive slower than traffic in the left
lane (reverse for Japan and Commonwealth islands) should have their
vehicles crushed in a public spectacle.

And should be able to earn the label "terrorist," cause they cause a
lot of destruction, mayhem and death to innocent parties.