Another sports career ended by sloppy testing

Old November 1st 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Another sports career ended by sloppy testing

See http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/spor...Hingis.html?hp

(So it's tennis -- still relevant.)

Hingis Retires After Drug-Use

"URICH, Switzerland (AP) -- Martina Hingis said Thursday she has been
accused of testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon, but she denied
using the drug. She also announced her retirement from professional
tennis.

''I find this accusation so horrendous, so monstrous that I've decided
to confront it head on by talking to the press,'' she said. ''I am
frustrated and angry. I believe that I am absolutely 100 percent
innocent.''

Her voice broke as she fought back tears in reading the statement. At
the end, she took no questions and left the news conference.

"Hingis said she later underwent a privately arranged hair test which
came back negative for cocaine. The official backup ''B'' sample test
on her Wimbledon urine sample, however, tested positive for the drug.

Hingis said she hired an attorney who found ''various
inconsistencies'' with the urine sample taken during Wimbledon.

''He is also convinced that the doping officials mishandled the
process and would not be able to prove that the urine that was tested
for cocaine actually came from me,'' she said.

Hingis said it could take years to fight her case.

''I have no desire to spend the next several years of my life reduced
to fighting against the doping officials,'' she said. ''The fact is
that it is more and more difficult for me, physically, to keep playing
at the top of the game.

''And frankly, accusations such as these don't exactly provide me with
motivation to even make another attempt to do so.''"

Old November 1st 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Nov 1, 3:57 pm, wrote:
Seehttp://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-TEN-Martina-Hingis.html?hp

(So it's tennis -- still relevant.)

Hingis Retires After Drug-Use

"URICH, Switzerland (AP) -- Martina Hingis said Thursday she has been
accused of testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon, but she denied
using the drug. She also announced her retirement from professional
tennis.

Here's a bit of good reading on the sideshow, and thinking in another
"sport" where drug use was open:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/...6/4607858.html
Bill C

Old November 1st 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

So what you're saying is, since Hingis and her lawyer deny it, the
accusations are false?

You're very easy to convince.

Old November 2nd 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Cry me a ****in' river

--
The 911 attack has left a multitude of questions unanswered. Why did
Building 7 collapse even though no airplane hit it? Why were fighter
Old November 2nd 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

rjk3 wrote:
See http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/spor...Hingis.html?hp

Dunno if she took a recreational drug or not.

However I was mildly amused to see a Pound being interviewed about
some British athlete who got baned for missing 3 tests. He said
she had 'paid her debt to society' as if she had committed some terrible
crime like murder or arson. All us fatty masters must have accumulated
a terrible debt to society for taking all those diet pills.

local newspaper sports poll on unethical sports figures luvjava Racing 4 September 17th 07 03:54 AM
Steel Merckx Sloppy? Ernie Techniques 11 August 7th 06 02:55 AM
Sloppy spuds? (PD-M520) Brian Watson Techniques 2 June 16th 05 06:06 AM
Sloppy XT Front Derailleur Adam Mountain Biking 6 October 7th 04 01:54 PM
how my career ended. Callistus Valerius Racing 0 August 16th 04 04:21 AM