ARBR has gone downhill

Old December 15th 03, 05:26 AM
Dean Arthur

Default ARBR has gone downhill

Edward Dolan wrote:

It is all I can do to

take on the American nuts and screwballs on this issue.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Nuts and screwballs? HEY, I resemble that, errrrr, I think?
Old December 15th 03, 05:30 AM
Dean Arthur

Default Fairings

What comes to mind is a rotating fairing. Fixed on the off-side to top
center and rotating from top down to fasten to rail running front to
rear on the side one mounts from. A lexan or flexible bubble on top to
provide 360 degree visibility. So many neat ideas - so little money to
try them!
Old December 15th 03, 06:00 AM
Dean Arthur

Default No see ums...

I found LED flashers [with five LEDs] in red and amber versions at local
hardware store. No name, but SH-05 on outside of pocket clip. Use two
AA batteries and have a number of flashing patterns. Also has tube/pipe
clamp with rubber liner to prevent spinning. Should attach to
handlebars and rear of 'bent easily.

Wore them on parka while wanding aircraft into parking slots at Jackson
Hole Airport in winter. Many favorable comments from flight deck crew afterward.
Old December 15th 03, 10:30 AM
Dave Larrington

Default Racing ( ARBR has gone downhill)

My experience with a Trice Micro suggested that, on open roads, it was on a
par with my old Kingcycle SWB in the matter of speed.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old December 15th 03, 12:48 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:30:45 -0000, "Dave Larrington"
wrote:

My experience with a Trice Micro suggested that, on open roads, it was on a
par with my old Kingcycle SWB in the matter of speed.

I tried the Monster and it was easily as fast as the Stinger. Ahead
grin factor nine, Mr Sulu...

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old December 15th 03, 02:22 PM
Kurt Fischer

wrote:

The Windcheetah doesn't have a very laid back seat IMO
though it has fairly aerodynamic steering. Dunno how much there is
to the trike's reputation of being a speedy vehicle.

The other name of the (faired) Windcheetah was "Speedy", that should
tell something about its reputation. ;-)
As far as I remember the most common vehicles in hpv-racing in UK for
quite a while were Windcheetahs and Kingcycles, but Dave surely is more
competent to tell about it.
For a more recent record of the WC see:
http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/record.htm

Regards,
Kurt
Old December 15th 03, 02:22 PM
Kurt Fischer

Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

-- when I hit a patch of leaves, the rear wheel will kind of take a
llittle hop which is mightily disconcerting.

What kind of tires are you using? What pressure?

I've never experienced this on my LWB AFAIK. It's a Radius Dino, very
similar to a Ryan Vanguard. Rear wheel is 28" and I'm using usually wide
touring tires on it, especially Marathons 40-622.

Regards,
Kurt
Old December 15th 03, 02:22 PM
Kurt Fischer

wrote:

Hmm I wonder how the werewolves of Bavaria react to bents... any
better than dogs/horses/cats/chicken/ostritches?

We don't have any werewolves here, honestly. Our folkloristic animals
are called "Wolpertinger". These funny looking creatures are crawling
sometimes out of the eggs of our mountain goats, didn't meet them till
now on the road, so I can't comment on their behavior. For examples see:
http://www.diebachhubers.de/bilder/wolpertinger.jpg
http://home.wtal.de/schelle/wolpertinger.jpg

: And the first language is ...

Obviously Bavarian? Every country seems to have their version of a
"heavy Texas accent". We have Savo, the Japanese have Kansai-ben...

Yes, of course it's Bavarian. Look for example at my e-mail address.
It's not Egyptian, it simply means "I don't like spam" in Bavarian. ;-)

Regards,
Kurt
Old December 15th 03, 02:22 PM
Kurt Fischer

Edward Dolan wrote:

(Kurt Fischer) wrote in message
I won't go into political discussions with you here, just a few general
thoughts: [...]

Kurt, you are not saying anything too outrageous and I do realize the
European perspective may be different from ours. It is all I can do to
take on the American nuts and screwballs on this issue. Besides, I
must always hold myself in reserve for my nemesis, Mr. Tom Sherman,
who may open up with a barrage at any moment.

I have to express my honest respect here, Ed. Maybe I didn't say
anything outrageous, but there were surely critical points enough to
provide you with sufficient ammunition for firing back. I'm glad you
didn't. At least in our discussion you don't behave like a troll at all.
Of course our views are quite different, but that's only natural,
considering our differing backgrounds and history. So again: hats off!

[ ... ]

just plain unreasonable. Also, no one is going to take a thread to "an
appropriate group". It either gets discussed here or it is dead.

It's common praxis in most German speaking groups and seems to work well
if done properly. But every group has its specific habits, after all
it's up to the regulars to form their own rules, it really doesn't
matter as long as the majority can get along with it.

Doing a search on Google is a mess. I thought I would check out my
name, Ed Dolan. Lo and behold, there are several other Ed Dolan's, not
on ARBR, but on many other groups. No, I am not ever going to go back
and look up anything. I think of a newsgroup as like a telephone
conversation, here today and gone tomorrow.

That's only one side of the medal. On the other side we should try not
to forget that all our postings are archived till eternity. And
sometimes it can make really sense to search for older threads, think of
the cross-postings between a.r.b.r and r.b.r. Risto has found.

The mountainous regions of the US are not known for having a lot of
recumbent cyclists and/or recumbent bike shops. I once asked on this
newsgroup if there were any recumbent cyclists in West Virginia and I
did not get a single taker.

Real mountains are only to be found in the deep South of Bavaria, our
region I'd consider as rather hilly and Munich itself is flat as a
pancake, still the mountains in sight. Many short steep hills sometimes
can get more tiresome than passes in the Alps rising slowly and
steadily.

Thanks. English is actually my third language, the second being German.
German was in fact a language I had to learn in school, while reversely
the other German tribes are hardly able to understand our language. ;-)

And the first language is ...

Bavarian of course. And don't believe malicious members of northern
tribes who regard Bavarian more as a disease of the larynx than a
language. ;-)

Regards,
Kurt