curved or straight frames?

Old July 11th 04, 11:59 PM
Worminton

Default curved or straight frames?

results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33861
Question: Which is you favorite frame?

- Curved (schwinn, coker, united, suns)
- Straaight (kh, yuni, miyata)

Ok I was wondering which are the best in your opinion?

Curved frames like coker or schwinn?

Or straight frames like yuni and kh?

i prefer curved and I'll tell you why. When you do big jumps on the
straight ones there is a risk of the stem (that's what i call it)
breaking the fork down the middle.

With the curved one there's really no place weaker than another just
wondering what you thought.

--
Worminton - Owner of a new Chromatic Harmonica

Dude is to Man as "Fo scnizel my nizel" is to "i whole heartedly agree
my African American Brother."

"LIES!!!!LIES!!!!!THE TV IS NOTHING BUT LIES!!!!!"
-My brother screaming at a comercial for a washing machine.
Worminton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5568

Old July 12th 04, 12:53 AM
Catboy

Niether is truely best, but I prefer straight on everything so I can
glide, wheelwalk and one foot it more easily, however alot of people use
round and do the same. I've never tried a round frame for more than a
few minutes so ireally wouldn't know. Once after a really, long ride mt
crank fell off so i was able to ride the street portion of the way home,
instead of looking funny taking my UNI for a walk. And not much weight
is applied through the "stem" of the uni unless you land on your saddle
instead of absorbing through the legs, and the chances of that breaking
the "stem" are like 1 in 10^10^10.

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!

[image: http://pics.xs.to/pics/04063/catko.jpg]
I have the amazing power to talk to cats!=^.^=

Old July 12th 04, 07:57 AM
Rayden

Catboy, while I agree with what you say. I would argue that there aren't
even 10^10^10 unicycles in the world. Or even in the universe.

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Old July 12th 04, 12:47 PM
nickvb123

Having a rounded frame makes beginer freestyle more difficult and expert
freestyle impossible!

With 1ft riding and 1ft ww etc. you can do it leg extended...its not
that much harder, but there is no way you could coast or do any stand up
tricks on a rounded frame.

Of course it doesn't matter so much if you do trials, street or muni.
Dan Doerksen uses a rounded frame in Universe 2 and look how good he is.
I think he's the only really good rider that uses one though.

--
nickvb123 - Freestyler

"He jumped off that with his one wheeled bike"
nickvb123's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5926

Old July 12th 04, 03:26 PM
one wheeled stallion

All depends on style tho doesn't it? Dan Doerksen's style in U2 didn't
involve any need for a place to put a foot. But Dan Heaton's frame on
the other hand suited him. Is Dan Doeksen's a custom made frame? I
noticed the seat stem is really short and looked thicker than 22.2mm.
Actually it seemed to me that one of his seats had the post really close
to the handle... tho it may have just been the angle. Nice frame/uni
either way!

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

Idiot." - John Foss

one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

Old July 12th 04, 07:14 PM
thinuniking

I thought it was just a nimbus but like a 24" frame not a 20" tbh.
Ben

--
thinuniking - U don't be playing me cracker!

I am heman with out the muscles or a cool sword
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old July 12th 04, 07:21 PM
darchibald

Straight, although I've never used a curved one. Do curved ones have any
advantages?

David

--
darchibald - Unofficial level 4.6

"Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
suicide mount.
darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

Old July 12th 04, 08:04 PM
daino149

darchibald wrote:
*Straight, although I've never used a curved one. Do curved ones have
any advantages?

David *

There is a much smaller chance of hitting your knees on round frames.
This is one thing that I had to get used to when riding my MUni w/Nimbus
frame.

As stated earlier, frame strength is not much of a factor (unless you
are talking lollipop frames *shudder*).

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
Kaena
Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
on the right"
Sig count: 2

04.05.23 11214
04.05.25 11284
04.05.26 11329

Old July 13th 04, 04:52 AM
Catboy

Rayden wrote:
*Catboy, while I agree with what you say. I would argue that there
aren't even 10^10^10 unicycles in the world. Or even in the universe.
*

I didn't say there was, I was saying the chances of the "stem" of a uni
breaking are 10^10^10 and since there aren't that many in the world your
chances are infintecimal, and therefore not an issue.

Old July 13th 04, 08:21 AM
one wheeled stallion

As stated earlier, frame strength is not much of a factor (unless you
are talking lollipop frames *shudder*).

I'm sure Dan Heaton's frame in U2 has lollipop bearing holders and he
does some HUGE drops. Though I think his frame is titanium if that makes
any difference to the lollies?