Curved seat stays

Old May 6th 05, 07:29 AM
Nobody

Default Curved seat stays

My Cannondale aluminum frame has seat stays that curve from the inside out.
What is the purpose of this?

Old May 6th 05, 11:06 AM
Nick Payne

More heel clearance.

Old May 6th 05, 12:05 PM
Arthur Harris

"Nobody" wrote:
My Cannondale aluminum frame has seat stays that curve from the inside
out. What is the purpose of this?

"Nick Payne" wrote:
More heel clearance.

Curved chain stays may give more heel clearance, not seat stays.

Art Harris

Old May 6th 05, 01:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Nobody wrote:
My Cannondale aluminum frame has seat stays that curve from the

inside out.
What is the purpose of this?

In this really flat bicycle market, it's for 'selling'. To point to and
imply it's some sort of performance advantage or something. In reality
it does nuthin'.

Old May 6th 05, 03:21 PM
JH

Nobody wrote:
My Cannondale aluminum frame has seat stays that curve from the

inside out.
What is the purpose of this?

Your timing is great. This very subject was discussed (and discussed,
and discussed) recently in this group:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...34069b3a595ddf

Old May 7th 05, 12:45 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 6 May 2005 02:29:59 -0400, "Nobody"
wrote:

My Cannondale aluminum frame has seat stays that curve from the inside out.
What is the purpose of this?

I have been told that it gives more tire clearance, but that
explanation doesn't wash. I have concluded that the principal
advantage is that it looks neat. And it gives the salesmen something
to point at and act like it's *special*. Claims have been made that
it provides a little flex in the frame and gives a smoother ride, but
I sure as hell can't see any such advantage in mine; I think that
claim is just marketeer hype.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old May 7th 05, 01:09 AM
philcycles

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Nobody wrote:
My Cannondale aluminum frame has seat stays that curve from the

inside out.
What is the purpose of this?

In this really flat bicycle market, it's for 'selling'. To point to

and
imply it's some sort of performance advantage or something. In

reality
it does nuthin'.

To paraphrase Capt. Renault, "I am shocked to discover marketing going
on here."
Phil Brown

Old May 7th 05, 04:03 AM
RonSonic

On Fri, 6 May 2005 02:29:59 -0400, "Nobody" wrote:

My Cannondale aluminum frame has seat stays that curve from the inside out.
What is the purpose of this?

Look pretty sexy, don't they. Nice swoopy sort of sweep to the line. Breaks up
that all straight and angular triangulated thing bikes have going.

Ron

Old May 7th 05, 05:15 AM
Werehatrack

"Nick Payne" wrote:
More heel clearance.

Curved chain stays may give more heel clearance, not seat stays.

Well, if you ride ballet-fashion, I suppose that they still give more
heel clearance.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.