Girl texting while driving hits cyclist, says "I just don't care"

Old April 16th 14, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Girl texting while driving hits cyclist, says "I just don't care"

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...160024963.html

Texting while driving is so totally wrong.

But according to 21-year-old Kimberly Davis, it's totally not her fault.

Davis, who according to phone records was texting with seven different people while driving her vehicle through Koroit, Australia, slammed into a cyclist from behind, severely injuring him. Local police say she used her phone 44 times while driving during the trip.

It happened at about 7:20 p.m.

[ More Buzz: Happy Palindrome Week! ]

Apparently the warning lights that had been placed on the front and back of the cyclist's bike were invisible to Davis.

"I just don't care because I've already been through a lot of bull**** and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it," Davis told police, according to The Standard.

She was apparently "****ed off that the cyclist hit the side of her car."

Davis actually did call emergency responders, even though the cyclist claims she refused to help him. He claims she just left him on the side of the road.

[ More Buzz: Principal writes tooth fairy f0r student's lost tooth ]

"I don't agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn't on the phone when I hit the cyclist," Davis said.

Originally charged with 47 offences for each time she used her phone while driving, Davis was fined a total $4,500 and her license was suspended for nine months.

The cyclist, who was originally told he could be left paralyzed for life, suffered a spinal fracture requiring surgery and placement in a spinal cage at Melbourne's Austin Hospital.

Cheers
Old April 16th 14, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Saw this. Rider gets 3 months in the hospital and this idiot gets a fine
and 9 months catching the bus. She should get jail time. 47 offences?
--
duane
Old April 17th 14, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 17/04/14 08:15, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

More...

http://www.standard.net.au/story/222...-crash-victim/

--
JS
Old April 17th 14, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:15:39 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

She'll get her license back eventually and do it again until she actually kills someone.

Cheers
Old April 17th 14, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:54:57 -0700, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

epic snip

Saw this. Rider gets 3 months in the hospital and this idiot gets a
fine

and 9 months catching the bus. She should get jail time. 47
offences?

She'll get her license back eventually and do it again until she
actually kills someone.

Then she'll get comunity service and be on the bus for a year.
--
davethedave
Old April 17th 14, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/arlo-and-janis-slideshow/
Old April 18th 14, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:46:53 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
On 17/04/14 08:15, Duane wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

She truly belongs to the "me-me-me-me-me-me" generation.

I wonder if something can't be done to remove the magistrate who gave such a lenient sentence to a clearly unrepentant transgressor.

Andre Jute
Old April 18th 14, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:46:06 PM UTC-7, Phil W Lee wrote:
Duane considered Wed, 16 Apr 2014 22:15:39 +0000

(UTC) the perfect time to write:

Old April 18th 14, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

She should also be forced to watch while her car (which is apparently

more important to her than human life) is put through a crusher.

And barred from owning or operating any cellphone except to summon

emergency services for at least 5 years, in order to break her texting

habit, which is clearly out of control.

Does the no-fault compensation scheme in Australia prevent a civil suit? If not, I'd sue, get a judgment in excess of insurance coverage, execute against the car, house, cat, cellphone, iPod, etc., etc. Garnish her wages for the next 20 years -- or at least until she declares bankruptcy, or whatever one can do to avoid creditors in Australia. In the US, her insurance rates would also go through the roof. Unfortunately, that usually means the bad guy quits buying insurance and just takes the risk of getting busted -- just like people with suspended licenses who keep driving.

-- Jay Beattie.

I don't know about Australia as a whole because in NSW and Victoria when I lived in Sydney and Melbourne my cars were on the company and insured by the faceless accountants, but I arranged the insurance myself for a car the local distributor of my publisher lent me for six months in Adelaide when I was there to chair a big conference, and discovered auto insurance is done by the state at least in the State of South Australia. In such situations there are usually arrangements in place to keep payouts low, and not to clog the courts with civil suits. Perhaps James will know definitively.

Andre Jute
Old April 18th 14, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

This woman needs jail time. Accidents are one thing but this case is like
depraved indifference.

--
duane