Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

Old September 28th 16, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

Default Rear brake hanger (was Cantilever Vs V-brakes.)

On 2016-09-28, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/27/2016 9:47 PM, Gregory Sutter wrote:

For example, Jan Heine just had a fancy rear one made:
https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-cable-hanger/

It was not a technical question. OP just doesn't think
cantilevers are aesthetically pleasing so no amount of
technical reference will help.

I used the question as an excuse to post Jan's new part to see if
anyone had comments about it. It's pretty, but I'm a little dubious
that cutting back the brake cable housing would offer superior
function to a ferrule. I've become a JH believer in many ways,
though, so perhaps.

Also WTH, the newsfroup could use more tech content anyway. Whee.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old September 28th 16, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On 28/09/16 21:38, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Doug Landau" wrote in message
On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 11:40:35 AM UTC-7,
On 2016-09-23, Benderthe.evilrobot

wrote:
On 9/23/2016 4:34 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

The best candidate has cantilever brakes and the cables need
replacing,
so I wondered about converting to V-brakes while I was at it.

Maybe its just me, but cantilevers just don't look right.

Cantis are very nice, if you know how to adjust them well, if you can
protect against the straddle-cable-falling-into-wheel situation, and
if you avoid the ****ty fixed-length straddle cables.

But if you want to convert to V-Brakes without changing brake levers,
all you need is this.

Problem Solvers Travel Agent Adjustable
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ls.php?id=6361

Already watched a Youtube clip on how to do it - its so simple I
wondered;
what's the catch.

One comparison I found online suggests that cantilevers don't wear out
blocks so fast - but don't necessarily stop where you want to.

R. J. Mitchell who designed the Spitfire fighter plane was famously
quoted;
"if it looks right - it'll probably fly" - IMO: cantilevers don't look
right.

Concorde looked good

It was half French....................................

That was why it worked a 35 hour week.

Old September 28th 16, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-09-27, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 4:04:32 PM UTC-4, Benderthe.evilrobot
wrote:
Snipped
The seat post would get in the way of a centre mounted pull cable - it
just
can't be done.

Maybe I could fit a cable mount to the front headset, but I don't see
much
incentive to do so.

Thousands if not millions of bicycles have been sold with centre mounted
pull cables on the rear cantilerver brake. You just have a hanger or a
bridge that centers the cable above the crossover/straddle wire. Ditto
for the front brake.

I'm sure they have - but you'd have to drill a hole through the seat post to
accommodate the cable on mine.

You don't have to drill a hole through a seat post in order to center a cantilever brake cable. the cable housing simply goes beside the seat post and thence to the cable hanger or cable bridge.

It's no harder to disconnect a cantilever straddle cable than it is to disconnect a V-brake cable.

One thing to remember if going from caliper brakes or cantilever brakes to V-brakes is that it's usually a very good idea to either buy a Problem Solvers adaptor or V-brake compatible V-brake levers. that's bedcaue the pull ratios are different and you can end up with extremely poor V-brake performance.

So in short, to switch to V-brakes requires both V-brake caipers and V-brake brake levers.

Cheers
Old September 28th 16, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

wrote:
Snipped
The seat post would get in the way of a centre mounted pull cable - it
just
can't be done.

Maybe I could fit a cable mount to the front headset, but I don't see
much
incentive to do so.

Thousands if not millions of bicycles have been sold with centre mounted
pull cables on the rear cantilerver brake. You just have a hanger or a
bridge that centers the cable above the crossover/straddle wire.

Would have to drill a hole through the seat post to accommodate the cable.

Old September 28th 16, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:
Snipped
The seat post would get in the way of a centre mounted pull cable - it
just
can't be done.

Maybe I could fit a cable mount to the front headset, but I don't see
much
incentive to do so.

Thousands if not millions of bicycles have been sold with centre mounted
pull cables on the rear cantilerver brake. You just have a hanger or a
bridge that centers the cable above the crossover/straddle wire.

Would have to drill a hole through the seat post to accommodate the cable..

Again, you don't have to drill a hole through the seatpost in order to route a cantilever brake cable. The cable housing goes to one side of the seatpost and ends at the cable bridge/stop and the inner cable continues from that to the straddle cable yoke or to the transverse cable mount bolt.

Cheers
Old September 28th 16, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2016-09-27, Sir Ridesalot
Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Snipped
The seat post would get in the way of a centre mounted
pull cable - it just
can't be done.

Maybe I could fit a cable mount to the front headset,
but I don't see much
incentive to do so.

Thousands if not millions of bicycles have been sold with
centre mounted pull cables on the rear cantilerver brake.
You just have a hanger or a bridge that centers the cable
above the crossover/straddle wire.

Would have to drill a hole through the seat post to
accommodate the cable.

No one's saying you can't use linear brakes. In fact, go
right ahead if you prefer them.

But cantilevers do not _require_ a hole in the seat post:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/hanger.html

Some riders do find that aesthetically pleasing:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/am19g.jpg

although many do not. Meh.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 29th 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:
Snipped
The seat post would get in the way of a centre mounted pull cable - it
just
can't be done.

Maybe I could fit a cable mount to the front headset, but I don't see
much
incentive to do so.

Thousands if not millions of bicycles have been sold with centre mounted
pull cables on the rear cantilerver brake. You just have a hanger or a
bridge that centers the cable above the crossover/straddle wire. Ditto
for the front brake.

For example, Jan Heine just had a fancy rear one made:
https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-cable-hanger/

Also:
https://paulcomp.com/shop/components...-cable-hanger/
http://surlybikes.com/parts/small_parts/cable_hanger
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_174820_-1___

It was not a technical question. OP just doesn't think cantilevers are
aesthetically pleasing so no amount of technical reference will help.

Its mostly about the lever arms sticking out the sides just looking for
something to catch on.

They're also more PITA to unhook when you want to take the wheel out.

Sort of like you knees there just ahead of the rear canti levers?
Strange I can't remember anyone worrying about their knees catching on
something.

Of course when one just doesn't like something one can find all sorts
of ways to rationalize their irrational suppositions.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 29th 16, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-09-28, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/27/2016 9:47 PM, Gregory Sutter wrote:

For example, Jan Heine just had a fancy rear one made:
https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-cable-hanger/

It was not a technical question. OP just doesn't think
cantilevers are aesthetically pleasing so no amount of
technical reference will help.

I used the question as an excuse to post Jan's new part to see if
anyone had comments about it. It's pretty, but I'm a little dubious
that cutting back the brake cable housing would offer superior
function to a ferrule. I've become a JH believer in many ways,
though, so perhaps.

Also WTH, the newsfroup could use more tech content anyway. Whee.

Hmm. I suspect the free play or motion with a ferrule or (as with this
part) without a ferrule might differ by about 0.002" - an amount too
small to detect from the brake lever.

On one bike with centerpull brakes, I've got a cable hanger that works
similarly in that it hangs from the binder bolt; but mine includes a
quick release. I find that to be handy. Looking at Andrew's site, you
can buy one for less than the Compass part.

I guess it doesn't have the cachet of the Compass part. But you can
probably buy spray-on cachet somewhere.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 29th 16, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-28, AMuzi wrote:

But cantilevers do not _require_ a hole in the seat post:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/hanger.html

Some riders do find that aesthetically pleasing:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/am19g.jpg

although many do not. Meh.

Andy, that's a very attractive bike! I like the nice touches on
seatstays and cable routing as well as the lovely not-Celeste hue.
Did you build the frame? Is there a mechanism for installing or
keeping the seatpost at the correct height for cable transit?

Old September 29th 16, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On 2016-09-28, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I make them up from a length of stainless welding rod and a commercial
cable stop. I've also used flat stainless stock in place of the rod.
Say 4 inches of welding rod or a piece of scrap of stainless sheet and
a cable stop ($0.27 at Nova), and perhaps 1/4" of silver soldering
wire. Cost? Maybe couple of dollars. Makes that Compass part look sort
of high priced :-)
--
cheers,

John B.