Decline in bicycling?

Old January 28th 20, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Decline in bicycling?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:06:07 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/27/2020 2:01 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 27 January 2020 12:00:41 UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 8:22:56 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Decline in bicycling? Gosh, how can that be, with the constant
construction of new "safe" facilities? (Actually, as a facility skeptic,
I think I can answer that question.)

The article ties the drop in commuter ridership to the fear of traffic and the highest bicycle death rate in the nation. You are now treading in that area between perceived danger and actual danger. It may actually suck to ride on surface streets to commute to work in Tampa as opposed to riding on one of the MUPs or linear park trails, which typically don't get you where you need to go as a commuter.

The more interesting question is why a drop if the roads were equally dangerous in 2017. We had a drop in PDX, but nothing has changed -- except maybe car traffic has gotten worse. What we need is a survey to find out why people who rode in 2017 aren't riding in 2019. It could be reasons totally unrelated to road conditions, e.g. working from home.

-- Jay Beattie.

Perhaps in Florida it's because of drivers who plow into a group of 15+ bicyclist of which 2 die of injuries; and the driver doesn't even get charged with reckless driving although she was 10+ MPH over the speed limit and was not looking at the road in front of her at the time she hit them?

It's talked about in t his thread.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ch/5abS9erOsto

I think a big part of many giving up bicycling on roads is the perceived dangers posed by distracted drivers and the extremely lenient sentences those drivers get if they hit or hit and kill a bicyclist. Distracted driving seems to be increasing yearly and the penalties for it if someone is hit are ridiculously light.

I suspect a reason for drops in cycling is perceived dangers, but I
don't think it's specifically connected with light sentences for
offending motorists. I say that because in the U.S. (and I suppose in
Canada) there never was a time when motorists were adequately punished
for their offenses.

I think a big change has been the never-ending push for "Safe!" separate
facilities, with the unavoidable implication that ordinary streets
cannot possibly be "safe." My understanding is that the big bike
companies - especially Trek, IIRC - are strongly behind this facility
push. If so, it's a classic case of shooting oneself in the foot. It
would be much more sensible to put out publicity proving that bicycling
on most ordinary roads is actually quite safe, and very beneficial. It
can also be very useful.

I've noticed a change in our bike club. ISMT a high percentage of people
who have joined in the past five years strongly prefer to ride on
trails. They'll drive 50 miles to some distant trail, off load bikes to
ride back and forth on the trail, and consider it a big adventure.

I'd consider it a long drive followed by a boring ride.

Gee, I hate to agree with Frank but...

When I was growing up a bicycle was a thing for kids. My father bought
me one - 2nd, 3rd, who knows, hand from the guy that worked on the
next farm, for four dollars, when I was about 12 years old. No one
ever mentioned "safety" in conjunction with me and my bicycle and in
the summer months I rode it everywhere as did every other boy in town.

In the mid - late 1960's I was living in Riverside, California and
both my kids had bicycles and again I never heard any mention of
safety.

Now I read how dangerous bicycling is. That there MUST be special
paths for bicycles, that one MUST wear special safety equipment, and
on and on, although a perusal of the numbers of bicycle deaths
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclis...n_U.S._by_year
shows that there were actually fewer bike deaths in 2017 than there
were in the 1980's.

As an aside the number of auto deaths in 2017 are lower then they were
in the 1980's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...n_U.S._by_year

As a further aside, several studies have shown that as many as 60% of
bicycle /auto collisions are the fault of the cyclist which might lead
one to ask whither bicycle riding is dangerous of whether bicycle
riders are dangerous?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 28th 20, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 10:44:15 -0600, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/27/2020 10:22 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Decline in bicycling? Gosh, how can that be, with the constant
construction of new "safe" facilities? (Actually, as a facility
skeptic, I think I can answer that question.)

https://patch.com/florida/southtampa...line-bicycling

I'm sure things can be very difficult for an independent local shop.
I wonder about Andrew's experience with such pressures.

Not news. The past few years have been absolutely brutal to my
industry.

That said, individual dealers are each a subset of 'the bicycle
business' and have their own individual strengths, advantages,
challenges and burdens.

Yellow Jersey must have third and fourth generation customers by now,
after nearly 50 years in business. Plus the only bike shop where one
can buy Lubriplate since I was a kid!
Old January 28th 20, 08:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 9:52:33 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/27/2020 1:01 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

One might hold that USA is too lenient for inattentive
automobile pilots (and I'd agree). Then there's CH, a
different culture entirely!

https://www.ticinonews.ch/svizzera/4...ni-di-prigione

German tourist cycling in Switzerland dumps his bike,
breaking a rib. Swiss police track him down and fine him 150
Swiss Francs for 'not being in control of vehicle' on public
roads. He won't pay and takes the two days in jail instead.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Some 25 years ago my friend and I were climbing from Zweizimmen to Saanen in Switzerland. For a while a police car was slowly following us for quite a while and eventually stopped us asking where we were from. As it became clear to him that we were foreigners he said it was all OK. From what I understood Swiss cyclists had to pay some taxes and he was looking for a tag on our bikes. I still can't believe that. On the other hand they have some more weird rules over there.

Lou
Old January 28th 20, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

lou.holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:33:03 AM UTC+1, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 28.01.2020 um 08:11 schrieb :

Some 25 years ago my friend and I were climbing from Zweizimmen to
Saanen in Switzerland. For a while a police car was slowly following
us for quite a while and eventually stopped us asking where we were
from.

At this point, I was suspecting the police might have had difficultites
distinguishing a flatlander's climbing style from a substance-impaired
Helvetian's. A similar problem cyclists have had watching Hollywood actors'
oscillate their bikes without even being aware it shows. By countrast,
Italian movies at least skillfully exploited the actors's supposed lack of
training:
http://www.klovesradeln.de/typisch-7...italo-malizia/

As it became clear to him that we were foreigners he said it
was all OK. From what I understood Swiss cyclists had to pay some
taxes and he was looking for a tag on our bikes. I still can't
believe that. On the other hand they have some more weird rules over
there.

Interesting that someone from one small country would call another's rules
"weird" in a state of being ignorant about them. One could, of course,
argue that Andreas Oehler's boycott of travel to Switzerland is worse: Herr
Oehler's stated reason is that they vote more right-wing than he likes.

Switzerland did have compulsory third-party insurance for bicycles, like
for mopeds, until 2011 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velovignette
(German only). Until 1989, this included registration of your bicycle
in the city of residence.

Ah, that explains it. Thanx.

Congratulations to Rolf for curing 25 years of ignorance.
Old January 28th 20, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

AMuzi wrote:

One might hold that USA is too lenient for inattentive
automobile pilots (and I'd agree). Then there's CH, a
different culture entirely!

https://www.ticinonews.ch/svizzera/4...ni-di-prigione

German tourist cycling in Switzerland dumps his bike,
breaking a rib. Swiss police track him down and fine him 150
Swiss Francs for 'not being in control of vehicle' on public
roads. He won't pay and takes the two days in jail instead.

Pictures of the mishandled obstacle:

https://ais.badische-zeitung.de/piece/0a/db/90/b0/182161584-h-720.jpg

https://img.blick.ch/incoming/15719211-v0-bildschirmfoto-2020-01-25-um-14-43-21.png?imwidth=1000&ratio=FREE&x=0&y=0&width=1012& height=692

Who is that 66-y.o. who does not know to say "I don't know anything" when
police starts asking for more than his travel documents? Was it a case of
the Swiss judiciary (proactively?) taking revenge to move the focus from a
cyclist-endangering obstacle on a downhill slope and trying to prevent his
health insurance from suing the city to get recover cost? We don't know.

What we do know is that he's a helmet wearing, city-touring bike riding
boomer from the greenie-leftie, wine-drinker dominated area of
Freiburg-im-Breisgau. He's the silver-haired musician trying to teach
rhythm or drumming to Merkelism's imports in their separate -- but
aaabsolutely Equal! -- class, thanks to do-gooder, laissez-fail
multiculturalism:
http://www.kastelbergschule.de/index...n.html?start=7

Looking at the Soros-globalist ideology and the questionable writing
proficiency displayed on the uppermost photograph, it tells you everything
you would ever want to know about that school's warped priorities.
Old January 28th 20, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 11:01:57 AM UTC, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Andreas Oehler's boycott of travel to Switzerland is worse: Herr
Oehler's stated reason is that they vote more right-wing than he likes.

The Swiss go only one way in my estimation -- up. That I'm not likely to run into Andreas Oehler in Switzerland is an added attraction. That man doesn't have the faintest sense of commercial and moral proprieties, as witness his comparative tests of his own employer's goods against competitors' products, which his employer's gear, and that of BUMM, with whom Schmidt Machinenbau has a relationship so close it is best described as parasitic, always come out on top. I could just about put up with Oehler's sense of entitlement when he came on RBT, but his biased tests are another matter altogether, and I have to wonder where he gets the gall from to call himself morally superior to the Swiss.

I bet the Swiss policeman who stopped Lou and his friend was unarmed and punctiliously polite. Contrast with a Virginia, `USA, policeman who stopped me for a mickey mouse speeding offence and approached me with a drawn pistol.. He was also rude: "I don't care **** if you have a diplomatic passport."

Andre Jute
Collector of bizarre circumstances
Old January 28th 20, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Am 28.01.2020 um 08:11 schrieb :

[...]

Indeed I didn't know and a 'license' plate for a bike is at least unusual, but that is their own business. My opinion about the Swiss is based on my experience with them during my 5 or 6 wintersport holidays, 4 summer holidays and several passing through the country on the way to France and Italy. I have a choice and for the last 15 years I decided to take my business elsewhere. YMMV.

Lou
Old January 28th 20, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/27/2020 9:00 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

In my area cycling is up, at least for commuting (which is all that
cities measure). It's still a very low percentage but we'll take every
percentage point, or fraction of a percentage point that we can get.
Public transit use continues to decline. eBikes are beginning to affect
cycling rates because it's more practical to do a longer commute on an
eBike, and almost always faster than public transit for commutes under
15 miles. Bikeshare is also contributing to an increase in cycling in
cities in California. I used it last year in Long Beach, and there's a
good app for that that lets you know which stations have bikes available.

In my own city, the number of bicycle shops has remained pretty
constant. One rather poor shop closed, but very good shop opened up a
few blocks away. One developer has plans for a parcel that contains an
iconic bicycle shop, and it's not clear what's going to happen to that
shop, and if it can be accommodated in the redevelopment.

Helmets seem to always be brought up in these discussions. While helmet
compulsion for adults is not something anyone here is pushing for, It's
worth noting that about four decades of helmet education (along with
many state and local mandatory helmet laws for youth) have yielded a
significant benefit in terms of injuries and fatality reduction in the
United States. Since the 1980s, when helmet usage increased
significantly, bicycling fatalities have decreased despite increased
traffic congestion and increased numbers of cyclists.

An unintended side effect of helmet promotion and youth helmet laws is
the mistaken notion by many that a helmet makes cycling perfectly safe
and is license to ignore other things to promote safe cycling, riding
predictably, investing in separated bicycle infrastructure like The
Netherlands, and using good lights, day and night. However, on the plus
side, this unintended side effect has gotten more cyclists out on the
road, and most people agree that increasing the number of cyclists is
effective at reducing crashes. There are also the health benefits that
are accrued as a result of more people cycling. If someone believes that
wearing a helmet makes it perfectly safe to be out on a bicycle, don't
argue with them, but gently inform them that they should also be taking
other safety precautions.

Speaking only for myself.