Why do so many people still buy road bikes with drop bars but neverride in the dropped position?

Old March 12th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Why do so many people still buy road bikes with drop bars butnever ride in the dropped position?

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

My point was more that sanity is the only limit to stem rise, whether
you have a threaded or a threadless stem. Between adapters, stackable
risers, and weird things like the AX-50, either type of headset can
support freakish rises.

This is true. What's nice about the threaded headsets is that you can
get the proper position without adapters, stackable risers, and weird
(and expensive) things like the AX-50. An adjustable reach quill stem is
ideal, and standard equipment on many city and hybrid bikes. I do use a
Delta riser adapter on the one bicycle in the fleet with a threadless
headset (an early Ahead model that had no star-fangled nut, and that was
a real pain to adjust).
Old March 12th 09, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

My point was more that sanity is the only limit to stem rise, whether
you have a threaded or a threadless stem. Between adapters, stackable
risers, and weird things like the AX-50, either type of headset can
support freakish rises.

This is true. What's nice about the threaded headsets is that you can
get the proper position without adapters, stackable risers, and weird
(and expensive) things like the AX-50. An adjustable reach quill stem is
ideal, and standard equipment on many city and hybrid bikes. I do use a
Delta riser adapter on the one bicycle in the fleet with a threadless
headset (an early Ahead model that had no star-fangled nut, and that was
a real pain to adjust).

That's true, but this should only be an issue, ever, for used bikes or
the very desperate.

There is no downside, except possibly aesthetic*, to a new bicycle or a
new fork being supplied with a generous length of steer tube. It may
eventually get cut down, either a little or a lot, but unless you've
done a hopeless job of sizing at that point, a good couple of inches of
adjustment is available even in the worst case, using a typical
high-rise/drop threadless stem.

I'm really fond of the threadless headset. It's lighter, simpler,
stronger, has nicer failure modes, and transforms bearing preload
adjustments from a learnable skill into 30 seconds with a hex wrench.

In exchange for all that, it gives up, maybe, an inch or so of easy
up-down bar height adjustment, and that in the best case, more or less.
And you can claw that back by either swapping forks or using an adapter,
if you really need it.

Of course, I also like drop bars and fast bikes, so I may be an army of
one here.

*technically, some carbon-steerer forks specify strict maximums on
spacer height. That's a particular limitation of those implementations,
and should no more be held against threadless headsets than the
fragility of Ti pedal spindles should be held against the pedal standard.

Old March 12th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:54:16 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 11, 1:42*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:25:07 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Mar 11, 12:43*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Mar 11, 4:11*pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:

On Mar 11, 2:06*am, Andre Jute wrote:

Whether or not I like drop bars has nothing to do with the truth (or
otherwise) of my observation that people who cycle because they have
to do not use drop bars,

*snip*

There are loads of folks who have to cycle who use drop bars.

I'm sure you're right. I also suspect that, against a billion people
in Asia who cycle with comfortable bars, they're a drop in the ocean.

You make a HUGE assumption that the billion people in Asia have a
choice in the type of handlebar they use. *And that they prefer this
bar shape. *If 100% of the bikes sold have upright bars, and there is
no other bar offered or for sale, can you really say the people choose
this type of bar? *In the US, and elsewhere I suspect, 100% of the
mountain bikes are sold with those straight riser type handlebars. *No
choice. *But what if drop bars on mountain bikes were far far superior
to straight bars. *Changing would require an undertaking. *Shorter
stem because mountain bikes have top tube lengths suited to straight
bars, not forward reaching drop bars. *So much much chorter stem is
required. *New bars to fit the clamp size of the stem you just
bought. *New shifters. *New brakes or those V brake adapter things.
No wonder you never see people riding mountain bikes with drop bars.
The cost to change is ludicrous.

Just because people do something a particular way does not mean its
the best way to do something. *In the US about 99% of the people drive
a pickup truck or SUV to work and the store every day of the week.
Solo. *By the logic in this thread, that is obviously the correct way
to get to the store and work. *Everyone does it that way. *So it must
be right. *And the oddball bicyclist on a drop handlebar bike riding
to work is wrong.

Dear Russell,

What kind of handlebars are popular in bicycle-mad Holland, where
commuting is commonplace and handlebars of every kind are available?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RUXidpEA6D0/Rn...aI/VhVUCKQJtaI...

I can't pick out one handlebar in that picture.

[snip]

Dear Russell,

You either need new glasses or a better monitor.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 13th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Still Just Me wrote:

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:06:11 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

There is no downside, except possibly aesthetic*, to a new bicycle or a
new fork being supplied with a generous length of steer tube. It may
eventually get cut down, either a little or a lot, but unless you've
done a hopeless job of sizing at that point, a good couple of inches of
adjustment is available even in the worst case, using a typical
high-rise/drop threadless stem.

I'm really fond of the threadless headset. It's lighter, simpler,
stronger, has nicer failure modes, and transforms bearing preload
adjustments from a learnable skill into 30 seconds with a hex wrench.

In exchange for all that, it gives up, maybe, an inch or so of easy
up-down bar height adjustment, and that in the best case, more or less.
And you can claw that back by either swapping forks or using an adapter,
if you really need it.

A couple of inches either way is all you need. Any more and I think
you're on the wrong frame. Of course, I'm a traditionalist:-)

Having to swap forks to get the stem adjustment you need is nuts.

I have had to do it. It was after buying a bike and fork combo used (the
fork was cut to be spacer-free). Despite this being my racing bike, I
really needed an extra inch of rise, even with a fairly steep-angled
stem.

Buying a (used, but uncut) fork was an expensive solution, but gave me
an excuse to slightly upgrade the fork, too. Cost was $100; less if I
can sell the old fork.

Old March 13th 09, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Buying a (used, but uncut) fork was an expensive solution, but gave me
an excuse to slightly upgrade the fork, too. Cost was $100; less if I
can sell the old fork.

Nah, all you needed was this device,
"http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Downhill-Adjustable-Mountain-Bike-Stem/3062358/product.html#prodDetails"

Old March 14th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Buying a (used, but uncut) fork was an expensive solution, but gave me
an excuse to slightly upgrade the fork, too. Cost was $100; less if I
can sell the old fork.

Nah, all you needed was this device,
"http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Downhill-Adjustable-Mountain-Bike-Stem/3062358/product.html#prodDetails"

That's wacky, but probably quite useful. looks like it would be a decent
problem-solver and the price isn't absurd for that.

Old March 15th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Coaster

Chalo wrote:
Clive George wrote:
SMS wrote:
It took 25 years for the ten speed fad of the 1970's to play out and for
non-racers to finally admit that it was damn uncomfortable to ride in the
drop position (actually suicide levers were the first admission).

They're good for more than just racers.

I'm not a racer, but I like drop bars.

My wife isn't even slightly a racer. But she likes the drop bars on her
tourer and on our road tandem.

I built a coaster brake road bike for my wife recently. Since the
bike had been originally spec'ed with randonneur bend drop bars, and
since I was trying to build it up at minimum cost, I just put the
drops back on there. My wife hadn't expressed an opinion about drops
one way or the other, so I figured I should let her give them a shot.
She told me to use theones that came with the bike, because she hates
to see anything go to waste. Her other bikes have MTB low-rise bars
(which she likes), BMX high rise bars (which she doesn't like as
much), and mustache bars (which she likes but doesn't ride very
much).

The bike is a c.1970 Schwinn Super Sport sized in the old fashion, as
tall as she can stand over. I raised the stem up to its max height
limit, so the bar tops were just about even with the seat. She took
it out for a test ride. Five minutes later she returned, mostly
indifferent about the bike but insistent that the bars weren't going
to work.

I spent five dollars at the local shop to buy a pair of used steel
North Road bars. She took it out for a test ride and was gone for a
while. She came back raving about how much she liked the bike, that
it was perfect and I shouldn't change a thing. She named her new bike
"Cake in a Cup".

I always knew she had good sense to go with her good looks and
talent.

Hmm, I do not know your wife at all. She has little to do with my real
world. I use drop bars for a long time - they are the best choice to me.
But of course it could be bad idea for a 'sunday rider'.

--
AlL tHeBeSt

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

"Don't try any other colors, red's the only one that works."

– Sheldon Brown, 1944-2008

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
Old March 15th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Coaster wrote:

Chalo wrote:

I spent five dollars at the local shop to buy a pair of used steel
North Road bars. She took it out for a test ride and was gone for a
while. She came back raving about how much she liked the bike, that
it was perfect and I shouldn't change a thing. She named her new bike
"Cake in a Cup".

I always knew she had good sense to go with her good looks and
talent.

Hmm, I do not know your wife at all. She has little to do with my real
world. I use drop bars for a long time - they are the best choice to me.
But of course it could be bad idea for a 'sunday rider'.

If by "Sunday rider" you mean someone who rides only infrequently or
for pleasure only, that wouldn't describe me or my wife, because we
use bikes for most of our transportation. If you use the term to mean
someone who thinks riding shouldn't hurt, then we're both "Sunday
riders".

Coincidentally, Sunday is the day of the week I'm most likely to come
across cyclists who are riding in a painful manner that makes them
scowl.

Chalo
Old March 15th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jwbinpdx

On Mar 15, 2:32*pm, Chalo wrote:
Coaster wrote:

Chalo wrote:

[...]

Who says they are in pain? I wince when I am in pain -- not scowl.
Now, if you mean they scowl because they are concentrating and riding
hard, then that is not the same thing as pain unless you think
concentrating and riding hard is necessarily painful. I don't think
it is. It's exhausting, but not painful -- unless you have some sort
of injury or ill-fitting clothes or equipment. -- Jay Beattie.