Ending pavement cycling

Old March 20th 16, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

Default Ending pavement cycling

As much as I abhor pavement cycling, I think we should look at the
reasons for this , especially by young people.

1.) blame the parents for not caring.
2.) ask your local school for cycling tuition.
3.) insist the Police do their job.
4.) canvass your local council to build "separate" facilities.
5.) write to our MP to take cycling seriously.
6.) make "Cycling Awareness" part of the driving course.
7.) share your concern with friends/acquaintances.
8.) ridicule the a***holes who pretend cycling is dangerous.

Any more suggestions?
Old March 20th 16, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 20/03/2016 15:40, colwyn wrote:
As much as I abhor pavement cycling, I think we should look at the
reasons for this , especially by young people.

1.) blame the parents for not caring.
2.) ask your local school for cycling tuition.
3.) insist the Police do their job.
4.) canvass your local council to build "separate" facilities.
5.) write to our MP to take cycling seriously.
6.) make "Cycling Awareness" part of the driving course.
7.) share your concern with friends/acquaintances.
8.) ridicule the a***holes who pretend cycling is dangerous.

Any more suggestions?

Introduce a new law, one which gives Police the right to seize any
bicycles being ridden on pavements (or illegally in any way) with a two
week period when a fine can be paid (say 100 quid) before the bicycle
will be crushed AND give the Policeman that actually does the work a
small bonus for every one seized, say ten pounds. The problem would
disappear within a few weeks.
Old March 20th 16, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 20/03/2016 16:55, MrCheerful wrote:
[...]

That's item 3.) & 5.) then.
Old March 20th 16, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 15:40:48 +0000
colwyn wrote:

As much as I abhor pavement cycling, I think we should look at the
reasons for this , especially by young people.

1.) blame the parents for not caring.
2.) ask your local school for cycling tuition.
3.) insist the Police do their job.
4.) canvass your local council to build "separate" facilities.
5.) write to our MP to take cycling seriously.
6.) make "Cycling Awareness" part of the driving course.
7.) share your concern with friends/acquaintances.
8.) ridicule the a***holes who pretend cycling is dangerous.

Any more suggestions?

Run a national media awareness campaign - many people seem to be
unaware that pavement cycling is illegal. Just targeting a specific
group like school children won't be broad enough, although all school
children should have proper training available to them. Then organise a
local police clampdown in localities where pavement cycling is common
or problematic, while also assessing where it might be better to have
shared use or mandatory cycle lane magic paint, bollards etc. (i.e.
cheap and easy facilities, but make them useful).

Old March 20th 16, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 4:54:44 PM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:

Introduce a new law, one which gives Police the right to seize any
bicycles being ridden on pavements (or illegally in any way) with a two
week period when a fine can be paid (say 100 quid) before the bicycle
will be crushed

Why do sad lonely trolls always want excessive penalties for cyclists?

Old March 20th 16, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 20/03/2016 15:40, colwyn wrote:
As much as I abhor pavement cycling, I think we should look at the
reasons for this , especially by young people.

1.) blame the parents for not caring.
2.) ask your local school for cycling tuition.
3.) insist the Police do their job.
4.) canvass your local council to build "separate" facilities.
5.) write to our MP to take cycling seriously.
6.) make "Cycling Awareness" part of the driving course.
7.) share your concern with friends/acquaintances.
8.) ridicule the a***holes who pretend cycling is dangerous.

Any more suggestions?

Allow pavement cycling and worry about more important things?
Old March 20th 16, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 3:44:17 PM UTC, colwyn wrote:
As much as I abhor pavement cycling, I think we should look at the
reasons for this , especially by young people.

1.) blame the parents for not caring.

Blame society for adopting 'The roads are for cars' attitude.
Old March 20th 16, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 10:15:06 PM UTC, Nick wrote:
On 20/03/2016 15:40, colwyn wrote:
As much as I abhor pavement cycling, I think we should look at the
reasons for this , especially by young people.

1.) blame the parents for not caring.
2.) ask your local school for cycling tuition.
3.) insist the Police do their job.
4.) canvass your local council to build "separate" facilities.
5.) write to our MP to take cycling seriously.
6.) make "Cycling Awareness" part of the driving course.
7.) share your concern with friends/acquaintances.
8.) ridicule the a***holes who pretend cycling is dangerous.

Any more suggestions?

Allow pavement cycling and worry about more important things?

Too sensible. Politicians will never agree to it.
Old March 20th 16, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 20/03/2016 22:15, Nick wrote:

On 20/03/2016 15:40, colwyn wrote:

As much as I abhor pavement cycling, I think we should look at the
reasons for this , especially by young people.

1.) blame the parents for not caring.
2.) ask your local school for cycling tuition.
3.) insist the Police do their job.
4.) canvass your local council to build "separate" facilities.
5.) write to our MP to take cycling seriously.
6.) make "Cycling Awareness" part of the driving course.
7.) share your concern with friends/acquaintances.
8.) ridicule the a***holes who pretend cycling is dangerous.

Any more suggestions?

Allow pavement cycling and worry about more important things?

Suggest that to the parents of the Blackpool victim run down by the
cyclist yob who later whinged that he "didn't know" it was illegal to
cycle on the footway and that being prosecuted for it had "ruined his life.

Suggest it to the family of the lady severely injured (whilst alighting
from a bus - on a footway) by a teenager on a bike a couple of days ago.

Old March 20th 16, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 20/03/2016 22:15, Simon Jester wrote:

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 3:44:17 PM UTC, colwyn wrote:

As much as I abhor pavement cycling, I think we should look at the
reasons for this , especially by young people.

1.) blame the parents for not caring.

Blame society for adopting 'The roads are for cars' attitude.

The roads are not only for cars and no-one has ever suggested that they are.

But whatever the vehicle in use, there are rules requiring the operator
to keep left and let faster traffic pass.

More pavement cycling Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 0 November 4th 11 08:40 AM
Safety:- Cycling on the pavement v cycling on the road. soup UK 20 April 8th 07 12:00 PM
Pavement cycling Paul Boyd UK 23 July 29th 06 10:38 PM
FA: 2 performance road cycling jerseys Medium ENDING SOON! mstuartev Marketplace 1 September 29th 05 11:43 AM
FA: REVI K2 cycling jersey, 3/4 zip, Large...only $12, ending! Item number: 715544262 the catfish Marketplace 0 May 16th 05 06:21 PM