Ping Simon - European Tour

Old October 9th 15, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Ping Simon - European Tour

On Friday, 9 October 2015 21:23:34 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:07:50 +0100, Tom Crispin wrote:

On Friday, 9 October 2015 18:25:29 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Which simon thinks is an emissions disk.

"Vehicle Emissions Disc" is a far better description than "Car Tax"

No, "car tax" is very descriptive. It's money the government steal from you for having a car.

It's a vehicle tax as it applies to lorries, motorhomes and motorbikes as well.

The government also "steals" from you if you buy a pint, have a bet, smoke a fag, make a phone call, buy a hot pastie, turn on the TV, put on the gas fire or feed the cat.

Why should owning a car be any different?

Old October 9th 15, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tough Guy no. 1265

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:41:20 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Friday, 9 October 2015 21:23:34 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:07:50 +0100, Tom Crispin wrote:

On Friday, 9 October 2015 18:25:29 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Which simon thinks is an emissions disk.

"Vehicle Emissions Disc" is a far better description than "Car Tax"

No, "car tax" is very descriptive. It's money the government steal from you for having a car.

It's a vehicle tax as it applies to lorries, motorhomes and motorbikes as well.

When it's on a car, it's car tax.

The government also "steals"

Why do you put that in quotes?

from you if you buy a pint,

Brew your own then.

have a bet,

Bet privately.

smoke a fag,

Roll your own.

make a phone call, buy a hot pastie,

Not by much.

turn on the TV,

Easy to get around.

put on the gas fire

Just how old is your house?

or feed the cat.

Not if you train it to eat the neighbour's cat's food.

Why should owning a car be any different?

Because the rate of tax is 5 times higher.

--
A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat.
"Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?"
Old October 10th 15, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 09/10/2015 21:41, Alycidon wrote:
On Friday, 9 October 2015 21:23:34 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 21:07:50 +0100, Tom Crispin wrote:

On Friday, 9 October 2015 18:25:29 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Which simon thinks is an emissions disk.

"Vehicle Emissions Disc" is a far better description than "Car Tax"

No, "car tax" is very descriptive. It's money the government steal from you for having a car.

It's a vehicle tax as it applies to lorries, motorhomes and motorbikes as well.

The government also "steals" from you if you buy a pint, have a bet, smoke a fag, make a phone call, buy a hot pastie, turn on the TV, put on the gas fire or feed the cat.

Why should owning a car be any different?

Why should owning a bike be any different?
Old October 10th 15, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:34:30 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

****ing heck!

And I will continue using my lack of brain

I did not say that.
I said

****ing heck!
Your lack of brain shows in your not making your own posts.
And I will continue using my bicycle as a very delightful economical
convenient viable means of transport for many things.

Gee you are a foul obnoxious **** for changing other peoples posts and
not making your own.
Old October 10th 15, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tough Guy no. 1265

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 03:07:29 +0100, Phil W Lee wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" considered Fri, 09 Oct 2015
17:30:20 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:57:11 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Friday, 9 October 2015 16:34:57 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Never heard of it, I take it it's somewhere other than the UK.

They used to look like this.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/... he_aboli.JPG

That's called a "tax disk". Nothing to do with emissions, my engine could have been running twice as clean as next door's identical car, and we would have paid the same tax. You pay tax according to the size of engine etc.

Motorcycles are still taxed on engine size as are cars built before 1MAR01. Cars registered after that date pay VED based on their CO2 emissions in gkm-1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...nce_April_2005

Which is more or less the same thing. CO2 quantity is proportional to fuel consumption is proportional to engine size.

Untrue.
Emissions are only very loosely related to engine displacement.
In the same weight of vehicle with similar aerodynamic
characteristics, a large, softly tuned engine may well use LESS fuel
than a small, highly tuned one.
In addition, it will wear out faster, requiring either major
reconditioning or replacement, both of which carry a heavy
environmental cost, although replacement is obviously worse in that
respect.

Well it's precisely proportional to fuel usage, so just put all the tax on the fuel.

--
Aisle oven ice bitters are chasm!
Old October 10th 15, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:34:30 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

****ing heck!

And I will continue using my lack of brain

I did not say that.
I said

****ing heck!

And I will continue using my lack of brain as a foul obnoxious ****

Happy to help, as always.
Old October 11th 15, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:42:50 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:34:30 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

****ing heck!

And I will continue using my lack of brain

I did not say that.
I said

****ing heck!

And I will continue using my lack of brain as a foul obnoxious ****

Happy to help, as always.

I said
Gee you are a foul obnoxious **** for changing other peoples posts and
not making your own.

What the **** are you doing here if that is all you think of bicyclists?
Your changing what I have written does NOT change my thoughts.
Why not go an mix with people whom you can be friendly with?
Old October 11th 15, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:42:50 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:34:30 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

****ing heck!

And I will continue using my lack of brain

I did not say that.
I said

****ing heck!

And I will continue using my lack of brain as a foul obnoxious ****

Happy to help, as always.

I are a foul obnoxious ****
What the **** are bicyclists?
Why not go an mix my thoughts?

HTH
Old October 12th 15, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:22:43 +0100, Tarcap wrote:

I are a foul obnoxious **** What the **** are bicyclists? Why not go an
mix my thoughts?

HTH

I said
Gee you are a foul obnoxious **** for changing other peoples posts and
not making your own.

What the **** are you doing here if that is all you think of bicyclists?
Your changing what I have written does NOT change my thoughts.
Why not go an mix with people whom you can be friendly with?

That is what I said.
You have shown yourself to be a lying obnoxious prat.
Old April 29th 16, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 3:39:33 PM UTC+1, Alycidon wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 13:08:26 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
Hi Simon,

Clare and I are thinking of a 12 month tour of Europe beginning in May 2017. It will be the only chance we have of doing this until after the boys finish school - and I expect that they wouldn't be interested then.

The vague plan is to buy a VW California Beach (if the current scandal subsides), and use it for occasional overnight accommodation, while more typically renting homes for a few days at a time as we travel around Europe.

We would head north for the summer to make the most of long daylight hours: France - Belgium - Holland - Germany - Denmark - Sweden - Norway - Finland, and then south: Estonia - Latvia - Lithuania - Poland - Slovakia - Hungary - Romania - Bulgaria - Greece, for the winter, and then north again: Italy - Sicily - Italy - France - Spain - Portugal - Spain - France and home for the summer of 2018.

We think that the finances for this dream trip are in place. Our five rental flats in SE London would gross £5,850 per month, with agents fees of £350 pm, mortgage interest of £900 pm, and tax of £920, we would have a net monthly income of £3,680. We also have the possibility of letting our main home which would net us an addition £800 after fees, mortgage interest, capital repayments, and tax - so a potential £150 per day.

We would take our tandem on the roof and a Burley trailer for the boys. We would use these as a zero carbon way to explore towns and countryside as we pass through the various countries.

How much would we need to draw on savings for this trip?

Main costs a
1. Accommodation (self catering 80% camping 20%)
2. Diesel / maintenance / tolls
3. Food (90% of meals from supermarkets 10% of meals in restaurants)
4. Transport, e.g. Igoumenitsa to Bari car ferry
5. Excursions

Tom

Hi Tom,
Sounds like a dream trip, like you say. Well, we went away for four weeks last June and it cost around £6000; the ferry was £670 and the hotels came to around £3000 plus another £700 on petrol.

We ate in restaurants every night which added another £1200. Looking at your trip, your food and accommodation expenses will be much lower as you are not using hotels and can use the camper in extremis.

We meet a lot of Dutch people who spend all summer long living in the Balkans as they can actually live for less than they do in Netherlands as the fuel is so much cheaper and they can eat local produce, so it shouldn't be that much different for you.

Looking at the mileage, a ball park figure is 8000 miles assuming you take a ferry from Sweden to Finland and another from Finland to Estonia as you will need to avoid Russia. You can work out the fuel costs he

http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/

Tolls and vignettes you can work out here.

https://www.tolltickets.com/default.aspx?lang=en-GB

So a quick estimate would be fuel for 8000 miles at 37mpg would be £900, road/bridge tolls and vignettes £200, food at say £30 a day = £11000, accommodation at say average of £10 a day at camp sites/own camper is £3650, ferries UK-FR, SW-FIN, FIN-EST, GR-IT, IT-SIC, SIC-IT, FR-UK would be about £800 ballpark so that comes to around £16550 or £45 a day..

Of course, if you decide to stay at hotels and eat out more often then it will bump up the price somewhat. Anyhow, as long as you don't want the luxury of hotels and restaurants it would be perfectly possible on your budget..

PS - this couple managed it for just under £30 a day, but there were only two of them.

http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/0...t-does-it.html

We placed the order for the VW campervan on Wednesday.

The dealer gave us a jackpot £5,600 plus VAT off the list price of £40,000 plus VAT.

Here's the van spec. in full:
£33,815.00 California Beach 7 speed DSG
£175.00 Grape yellow
£0.00 Kutamo Fabric
£860.00 2 x child seats
£0.00 3 seater bench
£120.00 App connect
£700.00 Discover Media navigation
£200.00 Interior light concept
£50.00 2 USB interfaces
£50.00 USB interface
£170.00 Cruise control
£350.00 Front and rear parking sensors
£275.00 Leather multi-function steering wheel
£330.00 Awning - housing and rail in black
£480.00 Towbar - removable/lockable
£0.00 Without model and engine badges
£605.00 Cliamatronic 3-zone air conditioning
£1,450.00 Programable air parking heater with rc
£0.00 Two remote keys plus rigid key
£220.00 Privacy glass with green insulating glass in cab
£150.00 Sliding window
£40,000.00 Total before discount
£5,600.00 14% discount
£34,400.00 Total after discount

PING Simon M Paul - xxx[_2_] UK 5 November 10th 11 08:41 AM
ping Simon Bennett MartinM UK 0 May 2nd 06 12:39 PM
PING: Simon Mason wafflycat UK 1 November 18th 05 11:41 AM
Ping: Simon Brooke LSMike UK 3 July 19th 05 05:32 PM
Ping Simon Mason [email protected] UK 0 January 22nd 05 07:57 AM