A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

Old May 17th 21, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default MoD investigating guard's threats to cyclist near Faslane base

A SECURITY guard at the oil fuel depot near Faslane has been filmed apparently making chilling threats and hurling foul-mouthed abuse at a teenage cyclist.

Audio and video footage shared with the Advertiser appears to show the security guard at the depot, located to the north of Faslane itself, telling 18-year-old Alex Sidney: “When I’m out in my car you’re going to come off that f***ing bike”.

Alex told the Advertiser he had been cycling in the area last Friday, (May 7) and had stopped to take a drink of water on the public road which runs alongside the depot.
AD

In Alex’s video recording, a security guard inside the oil depot’s boundary fence can be seen approaching him and apparently being verbally abusive.

In the audio recording the same voice can be heard telling Alex to “f**k off”, before saying “Why you being a c**k? Have you got nothing better to do with your f***ing time?”

Throughout the incident, Alex – who is a resident of the Faslane peace camp, and who featured in the Advertiser recently after his rides around Helensburgh on his Tall Bike caught the eyes of local residents – remains silent.

The guard continues: “You’re just an a******e eh? A f***ing waster in life.

“If I had my way, you wouldn’t be sitting up on that f***ing bike. When I’m out in my car, you’re going to come off that f***ing bike.”

In the separate video recording, the guard is heard telling Alex to “give me a pose” before calling him a “f***ing c*** s***er”.

The oil depot is run by the Oil and Pipelines Agency, a public corporation of the Ministry of Defence.

Alex said: “I was on a bike ride and pulled into a lay-by for a water break, next to one of the closed gates to the oil fuel depot. The guard came out and started shouting at me.

“I was always on public land but he seemed to think it was MoD property, despite having asked police later, who confirmed that it was public.
“I was never blocking any entrances or causing any disruption to work or traffic so I don’t see what the issue was.

“I had just stopped for a few minutes to catch my breath, but evidently this guard was already in a bad place and wanted to take out his frustration on somebody.

“I’m not bothered by the remarks, but my main worry is that they are paid to be professional, and if they are not doing that, and instead are verbally abusing people, then that might not be the right line of work for them.”

An MoD spokesperson said: “The MoD Guard Service does not condone offensive behaviour.

“We are aware of this incident and the matter is currently being investigated.

“It would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”

https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co...-faslane-base/
Ads
Old May 17th 21, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins
external usenet poster

On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 17:54:09 UTC+1, wrote:
A SECURITY guard at the oil fuel depot near Faslane has been filmed apparently making chilling threats and hurling foul-mouthed abuse at a teenage cyclist.

Audio and video footage shared with the Advertiser appears to show the security guard at the depot, located to the north of Faslane itself, telling 18-year-old Alex Sidney: “When I’m out in my car you’re going to come off that f***ing bike”.

Alex told the Advertiser he had been cycling in the area last Friday, (May 7) and had stopped to take a drink of water on the public road which runs alongside the depot.
AD

In Alex’s video recording, a security guard inside the oil depot’s boundary fence can be seen approaching him and apparently being verbally abusive.

In the audio recording the same voice can be heard telling Alex to “f**k off”, before saying “Why you being a c**k? Have you got nothing better to do with your f***ing time?”

Throughout the incident, Alex – who is a resident of the Faslane peace camp, and who featured in the Advertiser recently after his rides around Helensburgh on his Tall Bike caught the eyes of local residents – remains silent.

“If I had my way, you wouldn’t be sitting up on that f***ing bike. When I’m out in my car, you’re going to come off that f***ing bike.”

In the separate video recording, the guard is heard telling Alex to “give me a pose” before calling him a “f***ing c*** s***er”.

The oil depot is run by the Oil and Pipelines Agency, a public corporation of the Ministry of Defence.

Alex said: “I was on a bike ride and pulled into a lay-by for a water break, next to one of the closed gates to the oil fuel depot. The guard came out and started shouting at me.

“I was always on public land but he seemed to think it was MoD property, despite having asked police later, who confirmed that it was public..
“I was never blocking any entrances or causing any disruption to work or traffic so I don’t see what the issue was.

“I had just stopped for a few minutes to catch my breath, but evidently this guard was already in a bad place and wanted to take out his frustration on somebody.

“I’m not bothered by the remarks, but my main worry is that they are paid to be professional, and if they are not doing that, and instead are verbally abusing people, then that might not be the right line of work for them.”

An MoD spokesperson said: “The MoD Guard Service does not condone offensive behaviour.

The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of nuclear weapons.
We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear submarine in anger.

Old May 17th 21, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_6_]
external usenet poster

On 17/05/2021 19:50, Mike Collins wrote:

The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of nuclear weapons.
We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear submarine in anger.

Erm you do realise it was a WWII era torpedo that was used? A mark 8
(mod4) if memory serves. Ok the sub was nuclear powered but it wasn't a
nuclear weapon that was used

Old May 17th 21, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_13_]
external usenet poster

On 17/05/2021 07:50 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

AD

“I was always on public land but he seemed to think it was MoD property, despite having asked police later, who confirmed that it was public.

Was the nuclear submarine in question equipped with any nuclear weapons?
Old May 17th 21, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 7:50:30 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

AD

QUOTE:
Fred222222 10 hrs ago
User ID: 2345539
0 The MOD has impeccable standards. Good to see them sorting this one out promptly.
Old May 17th 21, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_6_]
external usenet poster

On 17/05/2021 17:54, wrote:

So a peace protestor just happens to stop at a gate and take a drink.

So his own video recording so you don't get to see the preceding five
minutes of him calling the guard a wage slave who's working for the man,
a Nazi etc

I.E. stop bothering me and stop being provocative

what separate video recording?

MOD guard service, so a minimum pay position with minimal training,
rather than a MOD plod.

I think there is a LOT more to this story than we are being told .
Still it is pretty much the default position of Simon to take the
cyclists side even if all the salient facts go unreported
Old May 17th 21, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 8:12:21 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:

I think you'll find that I posted the item with no personal comments and it was published not on the "biased" Road.cc, but in the Helensburgh Advertiser.
Old May 17th 21, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_6_]
external usenet poster

On 17/05/2021 20:03, JNugent wrote:
On 17/05/2021 07:50 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

The terminally unwashed in the peace camp are only there because of
nuclear weapons.
We can be proud of the fact we are the only nation to use a nuclear
submarine in anger.

Was the nuclear submarine in question equipped with any nuclear weapons?

Nope it had (along with the mark 8s used) Tigerfish torpedoes and
Harpoon missiles neither of which have nuclear warheads

Old May 17th 21, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_6_]
external usenet poster

On 17/05/2021 20:17, wrote:
On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 8:12:21 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:

I think you'll find that I posted the item with no personal comments and it was published not on the "biased" Road.cc, but in the Helensburgh Advertiser.

If you didn't agree with the tone of the article why post at all?
Wouldn't have thought a denizen of Hull would be reading the Helensburgh
advertiser just out of interest of what was happening just north of Glasgow
Old May 17th 21, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins
external usenet poster

On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 20:00:09 UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 17/05/2021 19:50, Mike Collins wrote:

Erm you do realise it was a WWII era torpedo that was used? A mark 8
(mod4) if memory serves. Ok the sub was nuclear powered but it wasn't a
nuclear weapon that was used

Yes I am aware of that and in true Naval tradition nobody celebrated loss of life as the sea will always be the greater enemy.